Author Topic: Vacation Stress  (Read 8780 times)

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Vacation Stress
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:07 AM »
I was just thinking about how sometimes a big trip can actually be stressful instead of relaxing.
What part of a trip stresses you out? Planning, booking, unforeseen expenses etc.?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Vacation Stress
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »
If you feel the slightest stress by preparing our during a vacation, you rather stay home.
Vacation is meant to be pleasure and its preparation full of excitement.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »

Definitely understand how planning a big trip can be stressful, especially if you want to maximize your time on the ground.

And, especially, if the situation requires, you plan a trip 22 hours in advance.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:14:30 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dhalpern1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
I was just thinking about how sometimes a big trip can actually be stressful instead of relaxing.
What part of a trip stresses you out? Planning, booking, unforeseen expenses etc.?

I usually find the airport process the most stressful.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Slightly off topic but from my own observations it seems that the majority of enjoyment of a vacation comes from telling (read: boasting to) others about it, trip reports, showing pictures to people, Facebook status updates, instagramming, family and friends knowing that you are on vacation when they are at work, trip reports etc.. This is especially true when using miles to fly first class and staying in expensive hotels.

This is pretty depressing because it means there isn't so much that's inherently enjoyable about the trip itself other than telling people about it.

If you have any doubts about this try going on an all out first class vacation and not telling a soul. No picture sharing etc..

You may be surprised to see how little you care about it all.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
Slightly off topic but from my own observations it seems that the majority of enjoyment of a vacation comes from telling (read: boasting to) others about it, trip reports, showing pictures to people, Facebook status updates, instagramming, family and friends knowing that you are on vacation when they are at work, trip reports etc.. This is especially true when using miles to fly first class and staying in expensive hotels.

This is pretty depressing because it means there isn't so much that's inherently enjoyable about the trip itself other than telling people about it.

If you have any doubts about this try going on an all out first class vacation and not telling a soul. No picture sharing etc..

Couldn't disagree more
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

I hardly tell anyone when I travel. I'd rather no one know.      Maybe you ought to stop telling people about your travels and just start focusing on the trip and enjoying the moment.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
I've done it plenty of times. Quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Humans are social beings and need attention, that's how the world was created. The קצות החושן in his hakdama to קונטרס הספיקות quotes a midrash that even if a person would be able to leave earth and see stars and etc, he would not enjoy it until he came back and shared it with someone.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Penguin711

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Vacation Stress
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »

-1. Completely disagree with you. Some people may be like that but not everyone. Some people (I speak for myself) enjoy vacation simply because of the time they get to spend away and take a break from everyday life, enjoy flying in first class and staying in expensive hotels for  the perks and comfort, and in general enjoy the vacation for their own enjoyment, (and their spouses enjoyment, who don't seem to complain when they can have a vacation booked last minute for a tiny fraction of the cost if any). For some people, it isn't about enjoying the "bragging rights" so to speak , but rather about enjoying the actual vacation for what it is - a vacation. Which you also happen to be sharing with someone who is enjoying the experience(s) together with you at the same time. And that is a whole different level of sharing then sharing via Instagram or Facebook with friends. That's just  my two cents :)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
I've done it plenty of times. Quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Humans are social beings and need attention, that's how the world was created. The קצות החושן in his hakdama to קונטרס הספיקות quotes a midrash that even if a person would be able to leave earth and see stars and etc, he would not enjoy it until he came back and shared it with someone.

I agree with the idea but most of us are travelling with friends or family and that's all the sharing I need.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »

You can say the same thing about anything in life. A depressed person probably would.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »
The only thing that stresses me is getting glaring looks from others in J/F when we bring kids onboard.
The rest is pure bliss.  Even going through TSA is fun when you laugh at the absurdity of it all.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »

You can say the same thing about anything in life. A depressed person probably would.
Are you kidding me Dan?? Every scoop of ice cream you eat on a trip is recorded and read about by millions of people. Are you saying that if you took a trip that absolutely no one knew about, it would have zero impact on your enjoying the trip?

Come on.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
Are you kidding me Dan?? Every scoop of ice cream you eat on a trip is recorded and read about by millions of people. Are you saying that if you took a trip that absolutely no one knew about, it would have zero impact on your enjoying the trip?

Come on.
I flew GRU-DFW-JFK-NRT-LAX-MIA-GRU all in coach for $130 in 2005 and didn't post a pic online and enjoyed just as much as any trip I take now in F and post online.

I didn't post a thing from my monthlong honeymoon.

People like reading my TRs now so I post them.  Why does that make it the only enjoyable part?

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »

I flew GRU-DFW-JFK-NRT-LAX-MIA-GRU all in coach for $130 in 2005 and didn't post a pic online and enjoyed just as much as any trip I take now in F and post online.

I didn't post a thing from my monthlong honeymoon.

People like reading my TRs now so I post them.  Why does that make it the only enjoyable part?
This is a pretty ironic statement.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
This is a pretty ironic statement.
Obviously having people comment on a vacation is enjoyable.  But if you're not enjoying the moment or if you're only thinking of the facebook likes then something is seriously wrong with you.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
I'm sure it's enjoyable for Dan to share. Especially here on the forums when we all appreciate hearing about his travels. But if you can't go on a trip and enjoy yourself without sharing about it on Facebook, and boasting about it to your friends then you have a problem.   

Meanwhile I think a lot of people are pretty "empty" nowadays and feel the exact way you do. Especially young people.   

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
I do enjoy telling people about my trips. However, when i am on the trip i dont think about that even a little bit.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
Vacation Stress
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
It doesn't take a genius to look around that world of Facebook and Instagram to realize that people can't get enough of showing off what they have and rubbing it in other people's faces.

I believe the RMB"M says that if we all lived alone in a forest we would be happy living in a hut with one blanket.

So drop this idea that I must be crazy for observing something that is clearly true and affirmed by the RMB"M. Every time a guy builds a big house his neighbors can thank him because he is doing it to impress them.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
It doesn't take a genius to look around that world of Facebook and Instagram to realize that people can't get enough of showing of what they have and rubbing it in other people's faces.

I believe the RMB"M says that if we all lived alone in a forest we would be happy living in a hut with one blanket.

So drop this idea that I must be crazy for observing something that is clearly true and affirmed by the RMB"M. Every time a guy builds a big house his neighbors can thank him because he is doing it to impress them.

You're not crazy. I agree with you that many people are like that. All I am saying is that if YOU feel like that I would try really hard to do something about that.

You're ahead of most in this situation because you are already aware of the problem.