Author Topic: Vacation Stress  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation Stress
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
It doesn't take a genius to look around that world of Facebook and Instagram to realize that people can't get enough of showing off what they have and rubbing it in other people's faces.

I believe the RMB"M says that if we all lived alone in a forest we would be happy living in a hut with one blanket.

So drop this idea that I must be crazy for observing something that is clearly true and affirmed by the RMB"M. Every time a guy builds a big house his neighbors can thank him because he is doing it to impress them.
I can personally say I could have afforded a bigger house and chose not to buy it because I did not need it.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
You're not crazy. I agree with you that many people are like that. All I am saying is that if YOU feel like that I would try really hard to do something about that.
+1
I know plenty of people who don't have instagram/FB/fill-in-the-blank for exactly this reason
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »

You're not crazy. I agree with you that many people are like that. All I am saying is that if YOU feel like that I would try really hard to do something about that.
This topic made me think about it because I do find that a lot of aspects of vacation are stressful.

If people are willing to see it, they'd find that a large part of our lives is a big show pretending to others that we have an amazing life.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »

I can personally say I could have afforded a bigger house and chose not to buy it because I did not need it.
Very big kudos. You are in a small minority of people who are capable of doing that.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
This topic made me think about it because I do find that a lot of aspects of vacation are stressful.

If people are willing to see it, they'd find that a large part of our lives is a big show pretending to others that we have an amazing life.

Again, I agree with you that many are in that situation. And it sounds like you are as well. Maybe you ought to try improving things a bit?

Most people care what others think of them to some degree and yes throughout our lives and throughout our days we may do things just for others eyes. But there are a lot of people who literally won't enjoy vacation without posting a picture and who aren't focusing on just enjoying their days because they are so busy working to show an exterior of a perfect life. That's really an extreme, as common as it is and if you feel like that I'd really focus on changing things.

Life's too short.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »
I stopped using FB ages ago after realizing what a huge percentage is people showing off their husband/wife/selfie picture/food/kids/fancy restaurants/vacations etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
I really don't get the whole premise.  I have no pics from HKG online.  When I was in HKG I wasn't thinking what can I do that would look cool online.

We have a good time and if I get around to writing about it afterward I get to relive that good time again in my mind.

But that the trip is only enjoyable because it's shared?  That's seriously messed up.  If travel is stressful then why bother?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »

Again, I agree with you that many are in that situation. And it sounds like you are as well. Maybe you ought to try improving things a bit?
Hey I don't remember saying that I suffer from this but it seems like everyone wants to assume that. Thank you for the chizuk. If I have this problem I will address it with my Rav/Therapist.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 10:41:14 AM »
I stopped using FB ages ago after realizing what a huge percentage is people showing off their husband/wife/selfie picture/food/kids/fancy restaurants/vacations etc.

That's great.  Facebook and social media have just become too intense if people's day to day lives.   And I am not against technology and internet or anything like that. But if I could take away social media from young people today I would do it in a heartbeat. It's just making people empty inside. It's really unfortunate.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
Hey I don't remember saying that I suffer from this but it seems like everyone wants to assume that. Thank you for the chizuk. If I have this problem I will address it with my Rav/Therapist.

Got it. The way you posted it sounded like you weren't happy with vacations until boasting and posting.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »

I really don't get the whole premise.  I have no pics from HKG online.  When I was in HKG I wasn't thinking what can I do that would look cool online.

We have a good time and if I get around to writing about it afterward I get to relive that good time again in my mind.

But that the trip is only enjoyable because it's shared?  That's seriously messed up.  If travel is stressful then why bother?
Dan how many pictures do you take on your vacations?

If it's all about 'enjoying the moment' then why take so many?

Oh, right.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »

Oh, right.

It's all about balance. And taking pictures is a great example of how everyone has to pay attention to focus and be in the moment in their day to day lives.
There is nothing wrong with taking pictures as long as you're not missing out.
As someone who actually enjoys taking pictures a lot I have to remind myself to put the camera down sometimes and just BE. But I do. I have days on vacation where I specifically won't take a camera. Life is about balance. And we all need to work on it all the time.

Offline eis517

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »

not anymore with the way house prices have gone in Thornhill!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »

Oh, right.
Are you kidding me?
I have thousands of pictures from vacations dating back to being a kid, teenager, and on.

From my year in Brazil alone I have thousands of pictures.  I enjoy taking them and I enjoy going back down memory lane, but they are nowhere to be found online.  And yes, I even have pictures of food and airline meals from those days.

I enjoy taking pictures on vacations and that has nothing to do with being a blogger. 

Even if you don't suffer from this malady it sure seems that you suffer from being really overly judgmental.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
This thread is going way off track,
I love planning vacation looking around for nice hotels and things to do,
when I do get stress, is my last day at work, until i get to my destination and I'm settled down.

and btw, I do take pictures during vacation, not to show for anyone, just to enjoy it afterwards

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

Even if you don't suffer from this malady it sure seems that you suffer from being really overly judgmental.
Ouch. Harsh words.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
From your posts in this thread,  it seems that you suffer from jealousy/it bothers you that others are able to take vacations while your not able  to.

Am I right or wrong about any part of that? Yes or no?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
Ouch. Harsh words.
I'm just starting to put together a theme from these kinds of posts.

You seem to seriously deride the fact that people enjoy the most pleasurable things in life: kids, vacations, etc.
And say that nobody can possibly really enjoy them, all that's possible is that they just like posting pictures on FB about [Insert: Kids, marriage, vacations, etc] but really it's just miserable.

Not everyone is that miserable.  Life is challenging, sure.  But that doesn't mean we're all getting by each day by faking it.

Offline DealHunter

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
When did a photo become just something to show off with and rub in friends' faces? I remember when a picture was for one's own collection, to keep the memory fresh for the ppl that are actually in the photo itself. Thanks fb and insta! :(

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »

From your posts in this thread,  it seems that you suffer from jealousy/it bothers you that others are able to take vacations while your not able  to.

Am I right or wrong about any part of that? Yes or no?
Not even a bit.
B"H I get to take vacations and I'm very happy for those who can take them as well.