Author Topic: Can a first class passenger and coach passenger trade seats midflight?  (Read 6749 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
US Airways domestic flight.

There are only two coach seats available for miles and we have three traveling.  Don't want to burn all the miles to splurge for biz for all three (the biz class benefits aren't that great on an A321).  Would also considering trading the biz seat before takeoff with the random coach passenger that sits next two the coach seats we book.  At least I would get two free bags for the biz ticket (my Star Alliance Silver with bmi will expire before the flight). 

Any thoughts on this? 

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can a first class passenger and coach passenger trade seats midflight?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
 most crews will allow 1 change just let them know before hand

So once passenger #1 leaves dont expect that teh crew will allow them to return once passenger #2 sits there, I wouldnt even try for passenger #3 as most crews wont want musical chairs to be played and might thinkits more so each person can get fre drinks etc.

So plan accordingly and plan for 1 change only

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
most crews will allow 1 change just let them know before hand

So once passenger #1 leaves dont expect that teh crew will allow them to return once passenger #2 sits there, I wouldnt even try for passenger #3 as most crews wont want musical chairs to be played and might thinkits more so each person can get fre drinks etc.

So plan accordingly and plan for 1 change only

US airways intl flight from TLV-PHL would not let any switches. The would not even let us switch before the flight boarded so the one booked in coach sat in Biz (even though both were originally booked in biz...long story)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
US airways intl flight from TLV-PHL would not let any switches. The would not even let us switch before the flight boarded so the one booked in coach sat in Biz (even though both were originally booked in biz...long story)
Hence the reason they're called USeless.
Personally I avoid flying them at all costs, but to each their own.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »
Hence the reason they're called USeless.
Personally I avoid flying them at all costs, but to each their own.

weve been thru this before

Personaly I LUVed the TLV-PHL flight in Biz, I also flew them LGA-BOS-LAS and ran into no problems on both Mileage Runs and flew Coach for $145 ai it was very worth it Miles went to UA and counted for EQMs and 2x on the RDMs

However I do try and stay as far away from US as possible But that doesnt include their TLV flight or any flight that uses the same A330-200 metal (which I believe is used to LHR and CDG)

but the more people that follow you on this one the better it is for me and those who like US to TLV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
weve been thru this before

Personaly I LUVed the TLV-PHL flight in Biz, I also flew them LGA-BOS-LAS and ran into no problems on both Mileage Runs and flew Coach for $145 ai it was very worth it Miles went to UA and counted for EQMs and 2x on the RDMs

However I do try and stay as far away from US as possible But that doesnt include their TLV flight or any flight that uses the same A330-200 metal (which I believe is used to LHR and CDG)
We sure have.  I don't care how good the seats on the A330 are.  They still have the same USeless crew with the worst attitude problems in the industry.  It's been 6 years since the US-HP merger and there is still too much infighting and bitterness among their employees to properly merge the airlines.

And I don't just avoid the airline anymore, I avoid collecting their miles as well since they froze my account up for 2 months without any cause or reason besides for my participation in their holiday 2009 promotion.  There wasn't even a single mile redeemed from my account or a single award ticket held from my account.  They froze everything up and wouldn't even talk to me until I wrote to the Arizona Attorney General about it and they released the account without any apology.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
And I don't just avoid the airline anymore, I avoid collecting their miles as well since they froze my account up for 2 months without any cause or reason besides for my participation in their holiday 2009 promotion.  There wasn't even a single mile redeemed from my account or a single award ticket held from my account.  They froze everything up and wouldn't even talk to me until I wrote to the Arizona Attorney General about it and they released the account without any apology.
The 2009 promotion...was that the grand slam one similar to the one they are doing now? Im going to have my 36 hits by next sunday for my 100k...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
We sure have.  I don't care how good the seats on the A330 are.  They still have the same USeless crew with the worst attitude problems in the industry.  It's been 6 years since the US-HP merger and there is still too much infighting and bitterness among their employees to properly merge the airlines.

so you have a beef with them (and Rightly) but doesnt mean it will happen to others or that we should stay away from them, I did note that the service wasnt up to CO standards but Id take a US Biz tkt @ 120k before a CO @ 115k or a CO coach tkt, especially when Im not earning those Miles by purchasing tkts on US. If they rerun the $145 ai to Vegas again this Jan/Feb I will be all over it again. And it was very sweet when my flight from LGA-BOS was dealyed and I was gonna misconnect to my LAS flight,US at my suggestion put me on UA JFK-LAX-LAS which yielded even more EQMs and UA put me into Biz and US paid for the taxi over to JFK

then depending on the mkt US might mean a mainliner compared to a puddle jumper on someone else

My UA Aug trip to SYD on the return got messed up and bag was delievered at 3:30am and the guy called the landline and woke up the house, got over $2000 in various ecerts from CS and used a $600 1 just this week to HNL , where Travel Alert called the landline 3 times , twice at 6am and once just before midnight and woke up the House (instead of my cell phone) that yielded a $350 ecert

I expect as Jeff gets his hands on UA that this will come to an end, but at least when UA messes up its Worth it!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
The 2009 promotion...was that the grand slam one similar to the one they are doing now? Im going to have my 36 hits by next sunday for my 100k...

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1406.0

I wouldn't waste my time again with a US faux-mo.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
so you have a beef with them (and Rightly) but doesnt mean it will happen to others or that we should stay away from them, I did note that the service wasnt up to CO standards but Id take a US Biz tkt @ 120k before a CO @ 115k or a CO coach tkt, especially when Im not earning those Miles by purchasing tkts on US. If they rerun the $145 ai to Vegas again this Jan/Feb I will be all over it again. And it was very sweet when my flight from LGA-BOS was dealyed and I was gonna misconnect to my LAS flight,US at my suggestion put me on UA JFK-LAX-LAS which yielded even more EQMs and UA put me into Biz and US paid for the taxi over to JFK

then depending on the mkt US might mean a mainliner compared to a puddle jumper on someone else

My UA Aug trip to SYD on the return got messed up and bag was delievered at 3:30am and the guy called the landline and woke up the house, got over $2000 in various ecerts from CS and used a $600 1 just this week to HNL , where Travel Alert called the landline 3 times , twice at 6am and once just before midnight and woke up the House (instead of my cell phone) that yielded a $350 ecert

I expect as Jeff gets his hands on UA that this will come to an end, but at least when UA messes up its Worth it!
Wow, was that incoherent or is it just me?

Who was even talking about UA and their compensation policies??

Anyway my beef isn't just their policies, it's the bad experiences I've had nearly every time I've flown on them (getting stranded overnight in PHL, dealing with horrible agents, lost luggage, delays, etc, etc) as well as the experience of the other poster who wasn't even allowed to switch the J seat with his wife (a story that would shock me if it happened with CO, but doesn't even remotely surprise me with US)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:51:01 PM by Dan »

Offline azhoopsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
I very much dislike US Air too, but unfortunately, they're the only airline that flies n/s to PHL from SAN.  Traveling with a 3 year old and a lapchild will be no-fun --- just want to get there as quickly as possible. 

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1406.0

I wouldn't waste my time again with a US faux-mo.

I did the current US 100k promo for a little less that $400.00. I think that was well worth it and will find something good to use it for. Didnt you use 125k for one of your recent crazy trips? Their miles are still good for flying other *A partners and for $0.004, ill take 100k any day

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM »
I did the current US 100k promo for a little less that $400.00. I think that was well worth it and will find something good to use it for. Didnt you use 125k for one of your recent crazy trips? Their miles are still good for flying other *A partners and for $0.004, ill take 100k any day
As long as they don't permanently confiscate your miles like they did to dozens (hundreds?) of other people it's great.  They are the judge, jury, and executioner and they execute brazenly without ever talking to you about it even once.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
Wow, was that incoherent or is it just me?

Who was even talking about UA and their compensation policies??

Anyway my beef isn't just their policies, it's the bad experiences I've had nearly every time I've flown on them (getting stranded overnight in PHL, dealing with horrible agents, lost luggage, delays, etc, etc) as well as the experience of the other poster who wasn't even allowed to switch the J seat with his wife (a story that would shock me if it happened with CO, but doesn't even remotely surprise me with US)

was just saying that UA has its problems as well every Carrier does, and although I wasnt happy with what happened Im not jumping ship just because of it

If anything US just gave me 35k for getting their CC and I got it, 1st yr free

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
Dan, it wasnt as many people as you make it sound. Us airways closed down accounts that people used to sell miles. In most cases (almost 100%) they closed the right account. Why yours was closed, i dont know.
I dont think they had proof to close it in any of the cases, but if 3 tickets are issued within 2 weeks for 3 seperate people they know u didnt go through the tib promotion to gift 300k of miles. So they played the game as well and beat some guys at it. Yours the prob closed bec of your site, but knew the could not do it legally as they cant even claim to the ag, why they think you sold their miles

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
Dan, it wasnt as many people as you make it sound. Us airways closed down accounts that people used to sell miles. In most cases (almost 100%) they closed the right account. Why yours was closed, i dont know.
I dont think they had proof to close it in any of the cases, but if 3 tickets are issued within 2 weeks for 3 seperate people they know u didnt go through the tib promotion to gift 300k of miles. So they played the game as well and beat some guys at it. Yours the prob closed bec of your site, but knew the could not do it legally as they cant even claim to the ag, why they think you sold their miles
I disagree.  I know personally of 7 people's accounts who were closed and read numerous reports and threads on FT.
Plus FT has been systematically deleting reports of closed US accounts as the US mod there is in cahoots with the airline...

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
There were 2 other people, that accounts got closed on ft. Posts got deleted, since guys wrote, i am a longtime ft member but opened up a new account so i will not be regocnized, thats against ft rules. So besides for the 7 accounts that are known and i dont think you would call these "kosher" accounts, we might have very few others. So many people used their tib miles without a problem. Aa also audits and us does since the tib as well. You play the game, they play it. So guys got beaten once. i understand they are not happy, but one looses in life as well. Dont get me wrong, I tried to help them as much as possible. A few guys have cases pending by the ag or have to take them to small claims court. Would be nice to hear some results.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
There were 2 other people, that accounts got closed on ft. Posts got deleted, since guys wrote, i am a longtime ft member but opened up a new account so i will not be regocnized, thats against ft rules. So besides for the 7 accounts that are known and i dont think you would call these "kosher" accounts, we might have very few others. So many people used their tib miles without a problem. Aa also audits and us does since the tib as well. You play the game, they play it. So guys got beaten once. i understand they are not happy, but one looses in life as well. Dont get me wrong, I tried to help them as much as possible. A few guys have cases pending by the ag or have to take them to small claims court. Would be nice to hear some results.
We'll have to agree to disagree.  It's bigger than you think it is.  The fact that I know personally of x amount fo account doesn't mean that's all the accounts that US shuts down...it means it's a small sampling of them.

There's a culture on FT not to admit to running into airline problems because it looks bad. (see the aa forum today about an FT'er who made a new handle to write about a problem they're having with "revenue protection").
People are too scared to post what happened, so they don't report it or else open a new account which gets deleted.