Author Topic: What's the advantage of Airport Clubs?  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Muscatini

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
What's the advantage of Airport Clubs?
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »
I know I sound ignorant for a being a frequent traveler but I never quite got the deal with the airport clubs...like, why would I need them?
I travel approx. once a month (at least 12 times a year sometimes up to 20) but I always take the first flight out of JFK and then I leave the airport as soon as I arrive to my destination.  I fly regular coach... I'm just curious why people need/want this service, and what the huge advantage is...
Also, does anyone here have the FlyClear card (I think that's what its called) and is it worth getting to save time with security?

Offline Na Nach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Avis Presidents, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, BMI Silver
Re: What's the advantage of Airport Clubs?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
If your flight is delayed, waiting for a connection, etc.

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
If you've never been to one you dont know, but its like once you fly first class u wonder if you'll ever be able to fly coach again.

First of all, they have everything you need (or might need), and it just makes everything about your flight more convenient and comfortable (even if your flying in coach). Its basically one of those things that if your already on top of all your arrangements, its not so necessary (kind of like a black credit card), but if not (if your a bochur) it makes a world of a difference. For example, need a computer (or a comfortable/decent place to use yours)? hungry/thirsty? (they usually have fruit (which is kosher))(and that's besides the mashke), and in general its just very relaxing, especially after a long flight, connection, whatever, and obviously you can arrange all those things yourself and it will cost less (just go buy a coke for $2), but here, even though you might not drink your money's worth in diet coke, its the idea that anything you need they have and are waiting for you to utilize, making each shot of glenlivet בלי גבול. which brings to #2...

B. In general with travel, better service is not necessarily something tangible, meaning waiting in a shorter line or having someone take your jacket for you or in general being treated like a human being, while there is not necessarily a specific price tag u can give, is worth a lot. For example, have you ever traveled by bus? You feel much more like a human being on a plane and even more in first class (or at least in a lounge).

C. And most important of all, something very tangible and irreplaceable, when you get off your six hour flight, in coach, and you take a good shower (while everyone else is waiting for their bags), i think on that you can put a pricetag (maybe even the one they put...)

Anyway... sorry for the long post, a little bored here, but thats just my opinion, i think its close to being a necessity.

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:12:51 AM »
Mashke???

Offline Muscatini

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
thanks for the long reply... here's some more Q's
do you get quicker service when checking in at the airport (the initial check-in, luggage etc.)
also, I fly JetBlue the most often, do they have a club?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
thanks for the long reply... here's some more Q's
do you get quicker service when checking in at the airport (the initial check-in, luggage etc.)
also, I fly JetBlue the most often, do they have a club?
Jetblue has no elite status or clubs and a poor mileage program, which is why true frequent flyers avoid them...

Besides for what was written above, clubs are invaluable in a case of irregular operations (bad weather, systemwide delays, etc.), where the lines in the airport are massive and it is impossible to reach the airline on the phone.  The club personnel will get you where you need to be ahead of the masses.

Clubs also make a great place to daven!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yossik

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:15 AM »
will they help bypass the lines with the one day pass?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
will they help bypass the lines with the one day pass?
No, bypassing lines are just for elite members or first/business flyers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Muscatini

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
hey dan, I know there are quick ways to become Elite (sign up for promo, then fly several times within a timeframe...)
do you know what I'm talking about?

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »
yes just call the milege company before you fly with them and sign up for a challenge, ask them what they are

levi

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
hey dan, I know there are quick ways to become Elite (sign up for promo, then fly several times within a timeframe...)
do you know what I'm talking about?
http://www.dansdeals.com/index.php?s=challange