3901 16th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11218
Phone: (347) 240-7921

Lakewood

Betzalel Brezner 845-558-5547

Kuntri
Bruce’s Garage, Liberty

Tools that AutoZone lends for free:
https://www.autozone.com/lp/loan-a-tool

Author Topic: Car Repairs Master Thread  (Read 177905 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Car Repairs Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
My car needs to new tires. I'm not looking to spend much since it's an old car and could breakdown tomorrow (Impala '06), wondering if it makes more sense to buy used tires to replace existing ones or get cheap new tires?
When making your decision factor in how important tires are to the car. What would you do if it were your brakes?  ;)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
When making your decision factor in how important tires are to the car. What would you do if it were your brakes?  ;)
except that brakes are half the price of tires of which 75 % is labor costs- good brake pads can be had for $30 , vs. tires of which 75% of the cost is equipment. ( Which is quite weird since replacing tires is significantly more labor intensive than changing tires, IME)
That's why (among other reasons) there's no market for used brakes while there is a string market for used tires.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2017, 07:55:40 AM »
except that brakes are half the price of tires of which 75 % is labor costs- good brake pads can be had for $30 , vs. tires of which 75% of the cost is equipment. ( Which is quite weird since replacing tires is significantly more labor intensive than changing tires, IME)
That's why (among other reasons) there's no market for used brakes while there is a string market for used tires.
Not sure where you are getting your figures from. If you are going to pad slap you completely missed the point I was making which is safety not cost.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
I buy the cheapest brakes and rotors available on eBay.
I can't imagine the average mechanic shop uses anything more high end anyway..

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
We just purchased a new Toyota Sienna.
When I was leasing, I did minimum repairs, cheapest oil changes...

Now that is ours I want to maintain it well. What maintenance are necessary and where am I being ripped off?
Things that come to mind

Oil changes - How often is it really needed? Is it necessary to get non-synthetic oil? Do I relly need to get new filters each time and wash/flush the oil tank?

Brakes, Rotors  - How often?

Tires -

What else is needed?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
Are you doing the maintenance yourself? If so, I have no advice. You can probably find info on websites devoted to amateur mechanics. Good luck.

If you use a mechanic, find one that you trust. Ask him what you need to do to properly maintain your vehicle. And each time you're there remind him you want to be able to keep it for as long as possible.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
We just purchased a new Toyota Sienna.
When I was leasing, I did minimum repairs, cheapest oil changes...

Now that is ours I want to maintain it well. What maintenance are necessary and where am I being ripped off?
Things that come to mind

Oil changes - How often is it really needed? Is it necessary to get non-synthetic oil? Do I relly need to get new filters each time and wash/flush the oil tank?

Brakes, Rotors  - How often?

Tires -

What else is needed?
Just follow what is recommended in your manual for oil change. Brakes and tires are as needed and vary based on driving habits.
Air filter and cabin filter also by your manual.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
Not sure where you are getting your figures from. If you are going to pad slap you completely missed the point I was making which is safety not cost.
standard brake job by any mechanic is change pads, preferably with full ceramic. Flush brake lines, top off fluid when finished and change rotors every other brake job or as needed. If you have a lift, it takes about 15 min. I'm not sure what more you want safety wise in regards to brakes.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
standard brake job by any mechanic is change pads, preferably with full ceramic. Flush brake lines, top off fluid when finished and change rotors every other brake job or as needed. If you have a lift, it takes about 15 min. I'm not sure what more you want safety wise in regards to brakes.
You are way off base. Over 80% of brake jobs I have done needed rotors (new or turned). Many have had frozen caliper pins. Main thing with any brake job is to clean the calipers so the pads move freely. That takes time. It will take at least 15 minutes to do one wheel let alone all four.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
You are way off base. Over 80% of brake jobs I have done needed rotors (new or turned). Many have had frozen caliper pins. Main thing with any brake job is to clean the calipers so the pads move freely. That takes time. It will take at least 15 minutes to do one wheel let alone all four.
with good driving habits and no other underlying issues such as bad tires, wheels struts, etc. You should not need rotors that often. I'm not sure if your diagnosing it yourself , in that case you should know this already, or if your mechanic is fleecing you. Also I was comparing a set of tires to a set of brakes. Generally a set us two , front or back. Cleaning calipers should take about 5 min with a good caliper cleaner so 10 min to clean calipers 10 min for swap and drain. Max 25 min for a set. Mind you many mechanics do not clean the calipers unless they see significant build up or rust.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
with good driving habits and no other underlying issues such as bad tires, wheels struts, etc. You should not need rotors that often. I'm not sure if your diagnosing it yourself , in that case you should know this already, or if your mechanic is fleecing you. Also I was comparing a set of tires to a set of brakes. Generally a set us two , front or back. Cleaning calipers should take about 5 min with a good caliper cleaner so 10 min to clean calipers 10 min for swap and drain. Max 25 min for a set. Mind you many mechanics do not clean the calipers unless they see significant build up or rust.
Have you ever done any brakes yourself? Most people bring there cars to me when they here a noise. You want to guess what that noise is 99% of the time? Any mechanic that doesn't clean the caliper is a hack.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »
Have you ever done any brakes yourself? Most people bring there cars to me when they here a noise. You want to guess what that noise is 99% of the time? Any mechanic that doesn't clean the caliper is a hack.
quite a few times all I'm saying is that mounting a tire is more laborer intensive than brakes and rotors. The main cost of tires is parts while the main cost of a brake job is labor

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
quite a few times all I'm saying is that mounting a tire is more laborer intensive than brakes and rotors.
You have to take the tire off and put back on for both jobs. I will bet the house I can get the new tire on the rim and balanced before you change the pads and rotors.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
You have to take the tire off and put back on for both jobs. I will bet the house I can get the new tire on the rim and balanced before you change the pads and rotors.
I doubt that. But that's just based off watching the tire shops. I've never mounted tires but I've done plenty of brake jobs

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
I have done breaks on my cars but sometimes it is really hard to take the rotors off and i don't want to brake anything. I usually bring the parts to my mechanic for them to finish. They only charge me for the labor and not the parts after. Just taking the tires off is the easy part.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »
I have done breaks on my cars but sometimes it is really hard to take the rotors off and i don't want to brake anything. I usually bring the parts to my mechanic for them to finish. They only charge me for the labor and not the parts after. Just taking the tires off is the easy part.
If the rotors are stuck hit them with a hammer on the front side towards the middle. Don't hit on the back or where the pads touch the rotor.

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:26 AM »
more like i couldn't get the bolts off behind the caliper, i even bought a torque wrench and my whole car was shaking when i was forcing it. I bought a jack and stands as well. My other car was much easier and I was able to do it.

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
more like i couldn't get the bolts off behind the caliper, i even bought a torque wrench and my whole car was shaking when i was forcing it. I bought a jack and stands as well. My other car was much easier and I was able to do it.
got to be extra careful with those you can crack them if you apply to much force.
Is the vehicle by any chance a Toyota? They seem to attract a whole lot more rust than other vehicles in that area

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
Was actually an Odyssey with about 40 k miles, i'm thinking once the mechanic loosened it up I'll be able to do it myself next time. My camry and accord were easier.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »
This a problem. Don't use a torque wrench to remove bolts. Use a 6 point (not 12) socket with a breaker bar. Give it a quick hit with a hammer to try and break it loose. I assume no room for an impact wrench? You can also spray with penetrating oil and let sit before trying.