3901 16th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11218
Phone: (347) 240-7921

Lakewood

Betzalel Brezner 845-558-5547

Kuntri
Bruce’s Garage, Liberty

Tools that AutoZone lends for free:
https://www.autozone.com/lp/loan-a-tool

Author Topic: Car Repairs Master Thread  (Read 177896 times)

Offline DealKiller

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Car Repairs Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »
Don't agree, if the battery is not the problem why waste time and money, he should try above steps before replacing battery.
10 year old battery that is not a problem?
If any self respecting mechanic tells you it doesn't need to be replaced run as fast as you can.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2019, 11:45:20 PM »
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-channel-25759240.html

This is what I was looking for assuming you want the same for a Sentra?
Thanks, yeah

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Don't agree, if the battery is not the problem why waste time and money, he should try above steps before replacing battery.
 Either alternator or leaving plugs in their sockets or a weak battery.
 Test the battery and then go from there.
Why are you arguing with the expert who was willing to come down to Lakewood to fix your van up thread?  ;D

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2019, 01:27:56 AM »
Why are you arguing with the expert who was willing to come down to Lakewood to fix your van up thread?  ;D
Where you see that offer?

10 year old battery that is not a problem?
If any self respecting mechanic tells you it doesn't need to be replaced run as fast as you can.
Didn't say that's not the problem, just said to check the battery before purchasing a new one.

For example you go to sears which I have done for quite some time to test your battery and see what's left in the battery and give you a refund based on what's left and then swap it out for a new one if needed.

Yes from what he wrote in his post up thread it seems like the alternator or a weak battery which needs to be replaced.
(Didn't pay attention to the 10 year fact, sorry about that. Your probably right being that it's 10 years, and depending if the car was sitting for a while without being used.)   
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2019, 01:06:08 AM »
I don’t know how this thread works but I’ll pop a question anyway: a friend of mine got scraped on the side and the guy said he’ll pay just don’t go through police. He shopped around for a fender replacement and he’s coming in at 1400-1600$ range. Is that regular? Anyone know a good body shop in 5t Long Island area?
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Miami

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
I don’t know how this thread works but I’ll pop a question anyway: a friend of mine got scraped on the side and the guy said he’ll pay just don’t go through police. He shopped around for a fender replacement and he’s coming in at 1400-1600$ range. Is that regular? Anyone know a good body shop in 5t Long Island area?
precision-auto-body honest and reliable
(516) 371-1137

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »

The term fender bender makes it sound cheap but a new bumper by itself can cost over a thousand dollars especially if it needs a paint job too. Prestige is very good, also Hewlett auto body is reputable.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
precision-auto-body honest and reliable
(516) 371-1137
lol. went to him first. looking for something cheaper than 1400 but looks like this is the going price.
The term fender bender makes it sound cheap but a new bumper by itself can cost over a thousand dollars especially if it needs a paint job too. Prestige is very good, also Hewlett auto body is reputable.
thanks
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:37 AM »
My car recently got a coolant leak. I still have to figure out from where. Hopefully it's something small. (2nd car of mine that had a coolant issue  >:( )

There isn't any direct access to the radiator so I couldn't see what color coolant was in there. So I went to Walmart and bought this coolant
https://goo.gl/images/MkLxDk
since it said compatible with any coolant and it was the cheapest.

Now my reservoir looks like this

Question 1: is it likely due to mixing coolants?
Question 2 : if I drive it around like that for a couple of days will it clog up anything (I'll keep an eye on the temp)?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:34:58 AM by Definitions »
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2019, 03:51:34 AM »
My car recently got a coolant leak. I still have to figure out from where. Hopefully it's something small. (2nd car of mine that had a coolant issue  >:( )

There isn't any direct access to the radiator so I couldn't see what color coolant was in there. So I went to Walmart and bought this coolant
https://goo.gl/images/MkLxDk
since it said compatible with any coolant and it was the cheapest.

Now my reservoir looks like this

Question 1: is it likely due to mixing coolants?
Question 2 : if I drive it around like that for a couple of days will it clog up anything (I'll keep an eye on the temp)?
Coolant is just a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze, it doesn't matter what type you buy. Hard to tell what's going on from that picture but it seems like you should definitely have that checked out.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
Coolant is just a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze, it doesn't matter what type you buy. Hard to tell what's going on from that picture but it seems like you should definitely have that checked out.

Offline DealKiller

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlLShgtyRA

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »
Maybe I should have asked my question in this thread but here's a link to my thread...dot-dot-dot

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=102261.0
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
2010 Honda CRV, the A/C compressor will sometimes not go on at all, and when it does go on the cold air will warm up a little every 30 seconds. Can the problem be the relay, clutch and/or freon?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2019, 03:00:47 AM »
2010 Honda CRV, the A/C compressor will sometimes not go on at all, and when it does go on the cold air will warm up a little every 30 seconds. Can the problem be the relay, clutch and/or freon?
Many times your freon needs to be flushed and replaced.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2019, 03:04:40 AM »
OTP7VSXM coupon code and clip the 10% coupon.
$13.99 Good price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N5ZGJ2M/?

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
Any ideas on what to do for a key that very often doesn't turn in the ignition. It's not the steering wheel lock.

I have to wiggle it around until it finally could turn. I could get a replacement lock cylinder on eBay for cheap but would rather not because then I'd need two keys one for door and one for ignition.

I saw a video where someone hits the key with a hammer to fix it on a different car.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
Any ideas on what to do for a key that very often doesn't turn in the ignition. It's not the steering wheel lock.

I have to wiggle it around until it finally could turn. I could get a replacement lock cylinder on eBay for cheap but would rather not because then I'd need two keys one for door and one for ignition.

I saw a video where someone hits the key with a hammer to fix it on a different car.
Sounds like there is something wrong with the cylinder on the steering wheel,if the pins are messed up then the cylinder won't work properly.
 Did you try a 2nd key you have? Maybe it's the key and not the cylinder? 

If you know what your doing try to reprogram a new key to use to start the car.(remember on most cars there's a transponder on the key and playing around with it might mess up the synchronization to start the vehicle.)

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2019, 12:55:47 AM »
How easy is it to change the hydraulic lift supports on the trunk door of an '09 Toyota Sienna?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2019, 04:14:14 AM »
How easy is it to change the hydraulic lift supports on the trunk door of an '09 Toyota Sienna?
As easy as finding a replacement, whether online (ebay, amazon) or an auto shop like autoZone which sells such parts and then taking a star key or a rachet set to unscrew the hydraulic lift on one side and then move on to the other side when your done.
 Would recommend you use a piece of wood of some sort or a ladder to support the liftgate (back trunk) from closing on you while doing the repair. "Safety first"
 The bolts might be a bit hard to loosen, was extremely snug when I tried to loosen them on my car. If a hand screw driver doesn't work take a rachet with the correct bit, and try not to strip the screw or else your going to need to drill it out which is not something you want to do if you don't have to.
 Or if above doesn't work try a breaker bar or a pipe over the rachet for more leverage and if that doesn't work try WD-40 or some lubricant and let it sit for a bit and then try and if still not a plain old torch to heat up the nut/bolt. Again be careful not to strip the bolt on the removal nor on the installation.

Easy fix if you have the correct tools.
 Good luck.

ETA: I see all you need is a flat head screw driver and pry it right off, really simple.
  Check out this video where he demastrates how to do it.

And a link for the product on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=power+liftgate+strong+arm+6140&i=automotive

Or walk into Auto zone and give them the year, make and model and they'll tell you exactly where to find a new pair.
  Here's some of them listed on their website.

https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support

https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support/mighty-lift-lift-support/989378_53250_0?aqs=

https://m.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support/mighty-lift-lift-support/250717_53250_0?aqs=

Also seems to depend if you have a powered lift gate or a non powered lift gate.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:35:07 AM by myi »