Topic Wiki

Points Used:

UR: 133K
MR: 40K
SPG: 90K
AA: 148K
UA: 95K
Hyatt: 4 free nights
Marriott: 146K and 2 free nights (still waiting for some points to post and then change cash res. to points)
IHG: ~130K (still haven't decided which hotel in Belgium to stay at)
Melia: 22K
BA: 4.5K
And 1 BRG :)

Desired Locations: (Strikethrough means booked)

Israel
London
Paris
Zurich

Rome (Car rental booked FCO-FLR-PSA-VCE)
Florence
Pisa
Venice
Madrid (RT train booked to Toledo)
Barcelona
Seville
(Car rental booked SVQ-GIB-SVQ)
Gibraltar
Bruges/Ghent (Belgium) (Have to book trains within Belgium and RT to AMS.)
Amsterdam

Days Scheduled in Each Location
In no order in particular...

Rome 3.5
Florence .5
Pisa .5
Venice 4.5 including Shabbos (although others said it can be done in less time)
Israel 12
Amsterdam 2
Paris 4 including Shabbos
Dublin 1.5
London 4 including Shabbos (although others said it can be done in less time)
Zurich 1 (b/c it's the United <24 hour stopover, but I'm sure there's more than 1 day's worth of activities there)
Belgium 1
(Amount of days in the different Spain cities are short and were very calculated based on suggestions, as I wanted to save any "extra" days I had for other countries.)
Madrid 1
Seville .5
Gibraltar 1.5 including Shabbos
Barcelona 1.5
« Last edited by @Yehuda on June 08, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »

Author Topic: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon  (Read 109665 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
Tell them you plan on staying at a lot of SPG hotels in the near future and you have status at other hotels but would like to start using SPG. That's what I said after she said no.  She put me on hold and then approved it.
I explained that I just book 7 nights today for my honeymoon and wanted the benefits, but no-go.

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
HUCA and say you are planning many hotel stays in the near future and would like to stay with them, otherwise you will have to take your business elsewhere.

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »
HUCA and say you are planning many hotel stays in the near future and would like to stay with them, otherwise you will have to take your business elsewhere.

When I said that, all they said was they can do the gold challenge, but they can't just upgrade me

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Just booked the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South for 20K/night IHG. All the 20K IHGs were about 15 minute drives to town. (Figured out where "town" was based on the locations of Centraal train station, Anne Frank House, Flower Market.) Then I used goDaven to see where the different Shuls were in the area with daily Minyanim. Beis Medrash Etz Chaim is a 4 minute walk to the hotel and also had the latest Shacharis at 8AM. ;)
So yeah, just sharing my ideas on how to decide on hotels in areas you don't know about it. Hope it helps.

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #384 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
Just booked the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South for 20K/night IHG. All the 20K IHGs were about 15 minute drives to town. (Figured out where "town" was based on the locations of Centraal train station, Anne Frank House, Flower Market.) Then I used goDaven to see where the different Shuls were in the area with daily Minyanim. Beis Medrash Etz Chaim is a 4 minute walk to the hotel and also had the latest Shacharis at 8AM. ;)
So yeah, just sharing my ideas on how to decide on hotels in areas you don't know about it. Hope it helps.
excellent strategy for the touring destinations that are not as common.

Upon your return, it would be great to share a TR and highlight the smart choices, etc..
Yehoshua made a great map of his city. With those of us on DDF who have been to some of the other smaller locations, perhaps we can edit soething similar and give rankings of hotels, restaurants, etc...

(For example -- LA Link: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z_h80BCOvmO8.kkLKAieASEmc)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
excellent strategy for the touring destinations that are not as common.

Upon your return, it would be great to share a TR and highlight the smart choices, etc..
Yehoshua made a great map of his city. With those of us on DDF who have been to some of the other smaller locations, perhaps we can edit soething similar and give rankings of hotels, restaurants, etc...

(For example -- LA Link: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z_h80BCOvmO8.kkLKAieASEmc)

That's pretty cool. I was actually planning to have a running TR throughout my trip. Perhaps posting every night (if the wife allows) or maybe once every few days. I feel that by spending time each night, I'll remember details better, like taxi costs, attraction costs, long lines, etc.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #386 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »

That's pretty cool. I was actually planning to have a running TR throughout my trip. Perhaps posting every night (if the wife allows) or maybe once every few days. I feel that by spending time each night, I'll remember details better, like taxi costs, attraction costs, long lines, etc.
That would be awesome, I would live to do a quick Euro trip, I can pull out all the good stuff from your TRs. I'm sure many other people can gain as well.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
That would be awesome, I would live to do a quick Euro trip, I can pull out all the good stuff from your TRs. I'm sure many other people can gain as well.
I hope so as well. Expect to see @Yehuda's TR at the top of the TR board all the time instead of @Yehuda's Planning at the top of the Air board. :)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
Just booked the Eliott Hotel in Gibraltar for Shabbos. $165 (incl. $4 cc charge) Hopefully will be the only hotel night I have to pay for. :)
Having meals at my mother's coworker who lives there, so that's nice. Yes, I tried getting to stay by him, but he just offered meals, and of course we're more than appreciative of that.
He suggested the Eliott. In Spain/GIB thread, it also seemed that the Eliott was the "nicer" hotel (as opposed to the Rock Hotel) and it's apparently already up the hill that you would have to climb to get to the shuls if you stayed at the Rock. And from searching hotelscombined and wego, I found the Eliott to be a bit cheaper.

18 nights booked, 15 to go!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
Food for thought...
I haven't always thought about getting the best value for my points. For example, the Elliot I just booked was $165. I then saw in the Chase UR mall that it can be booked for 16K UR and immediately got excited bc it meant that the 1 night I thought I would have to pay for (since GIB has no hotels that are part of points-brands) could be free. However, after some math, it would not be a good value to use my points for this hotel. If UR are valued at 1.6cpp then 16K would be worth $256, much more than the $165 I paid. Obviously, points have more value when used for things that normally cost more money, like my outbound flight EWR-FRA-MUC-TLV for 60K UR (at 1.6 that's $960) which would cost, if paid outright in cash, about $4000. Therefore, math says to only use your points if the cash cost would be more than the points are worth, and logic dictates to hold onto your points for especially expensive flights/hotels to get the most value for your points.

At the same time, one of my main goals of getting into the credit card game is to travel to Europe for as cheap as possible. Even though Zaidy gave us some nice money for the trip, my mind is saying why spend $165 on a hotel when there are "leftover" points that can be used to book it for free? Take it even further, why pay $100 for a gondola ride in Venice, when I can use 5750 Avios for the experience? Obviously, I acknowledge that these are not very good uses for points, but part of me says just to try to make this trip as cheap as possible so that Zaidy's money (and my savings if we use up his money) can be used for as many things as possible that can't be booked with miles, like food/taxis.

ETA: Don't want to sell points.

That's my thought process. Would love to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:35:51 PM by @Yehuda »

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
For anyone who would get rid of their points and use the cash to book that would def be the way to go in many cases. If you won't go that route at all and don't want to put out the money and save your points for a better use then I guess go for it.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
,why pay $100 for a gondola ride in Venice, when I can use 5750 Avios for the experience?

imo thats actually a decent use for points If you  Were gonna back $100 for a gondola ride (which is not a good use of money)

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
I suppose the bragging rights for "I've done a month long Europe/Israel trip with $0 out of pocket" are worth something as well :P

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
I suppose the bragging rights for "I've done a month long Europe/Israel trip with $0 out of pocket" are worth something as well :P
Well said!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
For anyone who would get rid of their points and use the cash to book that would def be the way to go in many cases. If you won't go that route at all and don't want to put out the money and save your points for a better use then I guess go for it.
Correct, I don't want to get rid of my points. Added that to the post. A bit more bluntly. :)

imo thats actually a decent use for points If you  Were gonna back $100 for a gondola ride (which is not a good use of money)
Whoops, bad example then. How about 30K Avios to tour NYC in a limo? :-D

I suppose the bragging rights for "I've done a month long Europe/Israel trip in business with $0 out of pocket" are worth something as well :P
FTFY Agreed, although, we're at just about $900 pax right now. And it's 6.5 weeks. :-p

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
side idea on selling:  Making a ticket for someone you know (or a friend of a friend) and charging them less than they would have to pay if they booked cash.  That may pass the LOR test.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »
side idea on selling:  Making a ticket for someone you know (or a friend of a friend) and charging them less than they would have to pay if they booked cash.  That may pass the LOR test.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
Meaning bc it's more like you're doing your friend a favor?
Thoughts?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
The Airlines don't allow selling tickets either.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
The psak I got is that selling miles/flights is "Kol haover al daas baal habayis nikrah gazlan." Will make no difference how you go about it
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.