Topic Wiki

Points Used:

UR: 133K
MR: 40K
SPG: 90K
AA: 148K
UA: 95K
Hyatt: 4 free nights
Marriott: 146K and 2 free nights (still waiting for some points to post and then change cash res. to points)
IHG: ~130K (still haven't decided which hotel in Belgium to stay at)
Melia: 22K
BA: 4.5K
And 1 BRG :)

Desired Locations: (Strikethrough means booked)

Israel
London
Paris
Zurich

Rome (Car rental booked FCO-FLR-PSA-VCE)
Florence
Pisa
Venice
Madrid (RT train booked to Toledo)
Barcelona
Seville
(Car rental booked SVQ-GIB-SVQ)
Gibraltar
Bruges/Ghent (Belgium) (Have to book trains within Belgium and RT to AMS.)
Amsterdam

Days Scheduled in Each Location
In no order in particular...

Rome 3.5
Florence .5
Pisa .5
Venice 4.5 including Shabbos (although others said it can be done in less time)
Israel 12
Amsterdam 2
Paris 4 including Shabbos
Dublin 1.5
London 4 including Shabbos (although others said it can be done in less time)
Zurich 1 (b/c it's the United <24 hour stopover, but I'm sure there's more than 1 day's worth of activities there)
Belgium 1
(Amount of days in the different Spain cities are short and were very calculated based on suggestions, as I wanted to save any "extra" days I had for other countries.)
Madrid 1
Seville .5
Gibraltar 1.5 including Shabbos
Barcelona 1.5
« Last edited by @Yehuda on June 08, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »

Author Topic: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon  (Read 109183 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: @Yehuda's Israel/Eurotrip Honeymoon
« Reply #600 on: May 26, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »
Didn't check till just now - USPS Sunday Delivery. First time I'm actually happy that Amazon sent via USPS.

+1
Also got USPS deliveries from amazon yesterday and today. But last week had a package "unsafe to leave outside door" (soap or something like that) returned to the post office after 1 attempt. That was annoying.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 27, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
+1
Also got USPS deliveries from amazon yesterday and today. But last week had a package "unsafe to leave outside door" (soap or something like that) returned to the post office after 1 attempt. That was annoying.
For a while the USPS delivery guy was definitely not even attempting to ring my bell. I was home all day and he didn't ring, just left the slip in my mailbox. I don't get why in the world he wouldn't at least ring the bell. I ended up getting my local USPS coordinator's (or something like that) direct number and had her twice find my packages and get them redelivered. She said it happens often enough and she can't figure out why the drivers don't even attempt to ring the bells. Maybe they don't even bring the package off the truck. They know if they leave you a slip, they don't have to come back for a redelivery unless you request it, as opposed to UPS who comes back automatically. I mean even laziness isn't the right word for that.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 27, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
For a while the USPS delivery guy was definitely not even attempting to ring my bell. I was home all day and he didn't ring, just left the slip in my mailbox. I don't get why in the world he wouldn't at least ring the bell. I ended up getting my local USPS coordinator's (or something like that) direct number and had her twice find my packages and get them redelivered. She said it happens often enough and she can't figure out why the drivers don't even attempt to ring the bells. Maybe they don't even bring the package off the truck. They know if they leave you a slip, they don't have to come back for a redelivery unless you request it, as opposed to UPS who comes back automatically. I mean even laziness isn't the right word for that.
Welcome to USPS!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #603 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
Right. So I have to calculate what'll be more expensive. Paying for the B&B and paying for cabs into town, or staying at the hotel for free, but paying for cabs to the Shul.

i thought you were trying to do all hotels on points (even using 14k ur in gib just for bragging rights) it should be a easy decision to use points :D

on a different note i am waiting to see what you'll uncover in the venice thread

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 27, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »
i thought you were trying to do all hotels on points (even using 14k ur in gib just for bragging rights) it should be a easy decision to use points :D

on a different note i am waiting to see what you'll uncover in the venice thread
Yeah, so that's pushing me :) but if the GIB situation meant a technical loss of about $50. Here, if I want to go to Shul for Mincha/Maariv, Shacharis, and Mincha/Maariv, I'll be paying $70 in taxis per trip. That's a much larger loss. At the same time, though, if I stay by a B&B at the Shul, I have to estimate about $70 x 2 nights, plus the taxis to downtown - assuming downtown is where the attractions are. So far, from what I've gotten from the Ireland thread, the attractions are hours away from downtown, so I'm kinda lost with this whole thing anyway right now. lol

Other than trying to find a hotel in Dublin, I realized I was all over the place with planning this thing. So besides for lightly looking into my Dublin hotel options, I decided to go back to the beginning of my trip and plan the itinerary from there. I have a general layout for Israel and now I'm up to the 4th day in Europe.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
Other than trying to find a hotel in Dublin, I realized I was all over the place with planning this thing. So besides for lightly looking into my Dublin hotel options, I decided to go back to the beginning of my trip and plan the itinerary from there. I have a general layout for Israel and now I'm up to the 4th day in Europe.
You're replanning the Italy stuff? In what order are you doing the cities in Europe?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 27, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
You're replanning the Italy stuff? In what order are you doing the cities in Europe?
No, not replanning anything. Just going back to day 1 and hammering out my plans. When I get to Italy, I'll already have a lot of info in my notes, and I'll just build my itinerary around that. Spain then Italy.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
Spain then Italy.
What about the rest?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
Can I get thoughts on Jewish tours? Seems like every city has one (Rome even has a few options) and if you're going the same day as others or work out some sort of discount, you can often get the price down to 45-50 eur pp. (Obviously the tours that cost 300+ eur, like Toledo, are out of the question.) That's great compared to the advertised price of all these tours, which are closer to 100 eur. Additionally, all these European Jewish tours have raving reviews here in the forums and online.

So, my question is: how do you know if it's worth it? I'm sure every tour really will be great. But we're talking $120-140 per couple per tour. The real thing that's bothering me is that it's not all or nothing here. We can walk into the Shul/museum in Florence or in Barcelona and look around ourselves for a fraction of the price. Obviously, we'll be missing out on the tour experience, but is that worth all the money that could otherwise be spent on food and other activities?

Hmmmm.....

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »
I'd say that's really a decision you're going to have to make. If you want to save money I'd definitely do some of your own 'tours' and history research so you know what you're seeing. In general if you go on a highly rated tour you should be getting a lot out of it.
Other benefits may include skipping long lines and entering places you can't otherwise enter.

I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with not doing every single tour. Especially depending on what your time is like.
Save something for next time. ;)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
I'd say that's really a decision you're going to have to make.
I knew that, I just like thinking aloud in public.
If you want to save money I'd definitely do some of your own 'tours' and history research so you know what you're seeing. In general if you go on a highly rated tour you should be getting a lot out of it.
Other benefits may include skipping long lines and entering places you can't otherwise enter.

I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with not doing every single tour. Especially depending on what your time is like.
Save something for next time. ;)
My uncle is a huge history buff, so he would love walking around by himself. But, I don't think I have time/interest now to start researching the different places we're going. So for that reason, I think I'll opt for more tours.
That was a lot of double-negatives, but I got what you're saying :) Time is not really an issue. In fact, I like the tours because they give definite times/structure to my day, and I can more easily plan things around them.

Haha not sure there will be a next time - kinda why I'm trying to get all of Europe into 1 trip while we're here anyway. I think future vacations (iy"h with kids and such) will more likely be to vacation-ier places.

I think a good idea is to take tours (these are mostly Jewish tours) of places that have a richer Jewish history, like Rome, and pass on places like Florence, where there isn't famous history and just opt to visit the Shul there myself.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Sounds good to me. At the end of the day you have to remind yourself that places are too big and too packed to see everything. And if one city you get more history out of and in another you spend more time just soaking in the people or the architecture that's ok too.

When do you leave again?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »
Sounds good to me. At the end of the day you have to remind yourself that places are too big and too packed to see everything. And if one city you get more history out of and in another you spend more time just soaking in the people or the architecture that's ok too.

When do you leave again?
Right right. Agreed.
2 weeks  ;D ;D

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:33 AM »
First week planned! (With a few follow-up things still to confirm.)
On to Italy iy"h tomorrow!

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #614 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15:04 AM »
Finally ::)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: May 29, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
Finally ::)
Yeah, no more time to procrastinate.  :P

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
I'm staying at the Eliott Hotel in GIB for 1 night (Friday night). I was hoping to get late checkout till after Shabbos but they said housekeeping ends at 5PM, so if I want to be able to checkout after Shabbos ends, I have to pay for another night.

Any ideas? I can't be the first person to ever stay at a hotel just for Friday night. What have you done/said in the past to not pay for Motzai Shabbos?

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 29, 2014, 08:37:58 AM »
Right right. Agreed.
2 weeks  ;D ;D

I hope we are going to be getting lots of reports along the way

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 29, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »
I'm staying at the Eliott Hotel in GIB for 1 night (Friday night). I was hoping to get late checkout till after Shabbos but they said housekeeping ends at 5PM, so if I want to be able to checkout after Shabbos ends, I have to pay for another night.

Any ideas? I can't be the first person to ever stay at a hotel just for Friday night. What have you done/said in the past to not pay for Motzai Shabbos?
Not sure about that specific hotel but ...
You can try emailing the manager now. Might be better off waiting though....
Also, a tip never hurts.
Some hotels will charge you a small amount. But even then you can talk your way out of it usually.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »
I hope we are going to be getting lots of reports along the way
Along the way of planning it? I'm probably just going to post what day/city I'm up to. During the TR I plan to post all the details.

Not sure about that specific hotel but ...
You can try emailing the manager now. Might be better off waiting though....
Also, a tip never hurts.
Some hotels will charge you a small amount. But even then you can talk your way out of it usually.
So, I emailed the hotel, but the response came from the Reservations Manager, who may not be the GM there. I'll call the hotel directly and see what I get. Thanks for the ideas, I'll try to play off them when I speak to them.