Topic Wiki

Life insurance: If there is someone is relying on your income, you need life insurance.
Your wife should also be insured, even if she doesn't work.  The need to insure her comes from the expenses of replacing her for childcare and housework. And if she does work (or is the breadwinner), then you need to insure her for income replacement - don’t be too macho to insure her.

How much to get?
First figure out how much you live on for real.

One school of thought is to get enough life insurance that you don't use up that payout, only live on the income that money generates.  So to make $80,000 of income at 5%, you need an initial investment (insurance amount) of $1,600,000 or over 1.5 million dollars! This piece of advice makes very little sense in today's low interest rate environment - since to chase a 5% return you need to risk the principal.

A better plan would be to estimate how many years of income replacement or expense coverage you need for each spouse. A big part of the need for income comes from child related expenses, which will end after the children reach a certain age. Or, at younger ages it is reasonable to expect that a widow/widower could get remarried, and therefore won't need as many years. Take all this into consideration and consult a financial adviser if you can afford it.

Another plan.  She'll be able to go to school, or otherwise get set up for a high paying job with a few years of full support.  So you only need a few years’ worth of income.  Let's say $80,000 X 5 years = $400,000.  Realize that her expenses without a husband might be higher than now as a couple.  (babysitter, tutors, etc) 

Term insurance vs Whole life
Term insurance is the cheapest and simplest.  You pay a premium and  if chv”sh the insured person dies, the beneficiary gets the insurance amount. The higher the risk a person is, the higher the premium.  So people with worse health  will pay more than healthy people for the same amount of insurance, and older people will pay more than younger people.
Level term.  One popular type of term insurance has a level premium for a fixed number of years. Many people prefer this to the traditional type of term insurance where the premium each each year pays for coverage only in that year (and as a result the premiums increase every year, because you are aging). In contrast, a level premium term insurance policy has an unchanging premium amount that is guaranteed for a specific number of years. As a result of the design you are overpaying in the early years of the policy to subsidize your cost in the later years. Popular guarantee periods are 10, 20 or 30 years.  As with any insurance, it pays to get one while you are healthy to lock in the lowest rate possible (in general, health only declines, you rarely hear of people getting healthier with age).
Whole life has a level premium that is guaranteed not to increase for as long as you live. Because of insurance laws in the US, this type of insurance policy must always have a "cash value", which is the amount of money you get back if you cancel the policy. That makes Whole Life a much more expensive choice relative to pure insurance coverage (where you'd get nothing back if you cancel) and therefore a bad choice for most people who are not rich (this is complicated to explain in great detail, but it is an effective summary of who is most likely to see good value in buying Whole Life). One fringe benefit of having a cash value in Whole Life is that you have saved money which can be used for your retirement or any other purpose if you are still alive.  For most people though, other savings vehicles will be better.
Universal life is very similar to whole life, in that it is meant to provide insurance coverage for as long as you live (as opposed to Term, which is meant to for a short to medium period of time). The most important difference is that the premium rates for Universal Life are not guaranteed, unlike Whole Life which is completely guaranteed. The concept behind Universal Life is that the insurance company tells you all the charges you are paying for and lets you pay as much or as little as you want for the coverage. Anything extra that you pay goes into an account that can earn interest, and as long as that account doesn't run out of money you stay insured.
Variable Life is an offshoot of Universal Life. The difference is that instead of the extra money going into an account that earns interest, you can choose to invest the extra money in mutual funds. Take my word as an expert in insurance that Variable Universal Life is only for the most investment oriented people (meaning that they barely care at all about the insurance part of the policy). If you are trying to decide on Term or Variable, the answer is always Term.

How long a Term Insurance companies make tons of money on people who buy 30 year terms and then let it lapse after 10 years, since they paid 30 year rates for those 10 years.  Consider a long term Term the equivalent of insuring against the possibility you will be uninsurable in 10 years.  Consider also that you would be able to convert the short term Term into a whole life policy at that time regardless of insurability.

Life insurance has some very favorable tax treatment on the cash value (or account value), which is a big selling point, especially for people in certain tax brackets who have all but run out of tax advantaged places to save money. The exact details are very technical and could not be fairly explained without making this wiki extremely long.

Reevaluate your situation and the amount of insurance periodically.  As things change- income, spending, family additions-  the amount of coverage you need will need tweaking.

In addition to buying insurance, don't forget to set up plans for how your beneficiaries can use the insurance money to live with their needs taken care of. Providing for your family in case of a tragic event is perhaps as selfless an act as a person can do, don't do it halfway! Make sure there will be money AND a plan for how to live on it. In my experience I have seen all types of unqualified people get involved with "helping" a family live off huge amounts of money and getting it wrong 10 times out of 10.

Plan for guardians to care for your children if cv"sh both parents are unavailable.

« Last edited by henche on July 09, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »

Author Topic: Do you have life insurance?  (Read 67374 times)

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Re: Do you have life insurance?
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
I've heard this from "Chassidishe seforim". Definitely not in the name of a Rishon (or even an Acharon, depending on how loosely you define that time period).
I will find out soon and report back, you may be right that its from more recent. I'm not chasidish tho.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Do you have life insurance?
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
People who do this have life insurance.  It is called "tragic full page ads in the yated and hamodia."
Please don't say you, C"V loy aleinu.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:10:29 PM by Super Speed »

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »
Please don't say you, C"V loy aleinu.

I edited it.  Although, I never meant it that way.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
I edited it.  Although, I never meant it that way.
I know but I'm sfardi and very paranoid about ayin haras! ;)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
People who don't buy it also have life insurance.  It is called "tragic full page ads in the yated and hamodia." 

Sad lol (if you can happy cry, why can't you sad laugh?).

In my experience, there is a huge ignorance of financial concepts in the frum world that is at fault here. I've been closely involved in some of those campaigns which were truly mind boggling. One case to illustrate how ridiculous it can get (but with limited details)- a man passed away at a young age and left behind a wife + 4 school age children. The school waived their tuition for perpetuity, the landlord agreed to cut the rent by 50%, and a few people from the community volunteered to pay his outstanding medical bills. Wonderful! It so happens though, that this man had a $1 million life insurance policy. Good for him for providing for his family even after his lifetime, right? Nope- the "askanim" put the million dollars into a "keren" for the 4 children  (who are a minimum of 12 years from getting married) and then started a fundraising campaign for the family's future expenses. I never tell people not to give money to good causes, but sometimes I question whether the cause is good.

The point I am trying to make here is (whether you get life insurance or not) that the most important thing you can do for your family is to make a financial plan for them that doesn't include you. In the above story, I feel like the niftar is rolling in his grave because he took the initiative to protect his family from becoming a tzedaka case but someone else managed to turn them into one anyway.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
Its a machlokes. R' moshe says one way, the brisker rav said the other, rav eliyasihv has an opinion on the matter as do almost all other contemporary poskim.

The consensus is that it is fine and recommended.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
More rant.... anyone remember Areivim "life insurance"? A sad concept, also based on the frum world's ignorance of financial concepts and consequent distrust of financial companies (e.g. insurance companies). The idea was that a group of frum people would form to self-insure the members and that magically there would be no more than $28 worth of deaths per month. None of the founders had any idea of how to measure the risks involved in order to figure out if that was reasonable (again, this is something I was closely involved in). This was truly as bad as any pyramid scheme (though the complete inverse).

Point this time is don't be afraid to let an insurance company make a little money off of you. They are providing a real service that you can't get elsewhere, and you really need the service. They are heavily regulated too, so I'm not sure where the fear of getting "ripped off" comes from. I'm not saying everyone should go and buy Whole Life - it's certainly not for most of the 99% - but figure out what your financial needs are and then pay for the coverage!

And if you actually want to set up a "self-funded" type of life insurance, that already exists - it's called a Fraternal Benefits Society. A scheme like Areivim should never even have been founded.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
Wiki updated (to pay for being allowed to vent?  ;D)

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »
Yeh, whatever happened to Areivim?

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
Yeh, whatever happened to Areivim?

Thank G-d it died a quiet death. Pun intended.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
I hate threads with no wiki. Anyone have a rundown on life insurance?

As a newly married man man without kids, you do not need.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
As a newly married man man without kids, you do not need.

Strongly disagree, unless the couple will never have kids.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
Why pay for it now before that point? The very small incremental uptick in premiums he'd pay for getting it later would be largely outweighed by the very real money saved on monthly premiums between now and then.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »
Why pay for it now before that point? The very small incremental uptick in premiums he'd pay for getting it later would be largely outweighed by the very real money saved on monthly premiums between now and then.

+1, unless he plans on gaining a lot of weight during shana rishona.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
It often doesn't  take long for kids to be on the horizon...

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »
Strongly disagree, unless the couple will never have kids.

Couples w/o kids should still get life insurance, but do not need as much. Keep in mind that if you cvs pass away you will leave your spouse with expenses that must be covered. I'd recommend that you take your annual expenses and multiply it by 5 if you have no kids. If you have a mortgage and your wife doesn't make enough income to cover it, 10.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »

Are you talking about term or whole life? Premium for term is cheap regardless. I pay $10 a month for 500k.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »

Also, if you get sick, you won't be able to increase your coverage. If you have that level of coverage already and are on a group plan, it is easier to maintain coverage.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »
And therefore? :-[

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
Couples w/o kids should still get life insurance, but do not need as much. Keep in mind that if you cvs pass away you will leave your spouse with expenses that must be covered. I'd recommend that you take your annual expenses and multiply it by 5 if you have no kids. If you have a mortgage and your wife doesn't make enough income to cover it, 10.

You mean the same spouse who weeks earlier was either supporting herself or living with her parents?

What has materially changed between now and then?