Author Topic: Paying someone to book an award ticket - is it worth it?  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Paying someone to book an award ticket - is it worth it?
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:55:34 AM »
I've seen all over the web people offering their "help" to get you an award ticket (using YOUR miles, of course) for a fee.
Is it really worth it?
Do they really have access to airlines/seats I don't have?
Sometimes I'm looking to book something and just can't seem to find any seats for the dates I need! Can they do it?

Please share if you have any experience.
Thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Paying someone to book an award ticket - is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:13:12 AM »
if you dont know who it is stay away.

Basically those guys might know more then you, and here on this forum you can get this help.

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »
So you're basically saying it's not something from inside the system and people like Dan or other big shots on DD (like  yourself:) ) might have the same connections?
Thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
So you're basically saying it's not something from inside the system and people like Dan or other big shots on DD (like  yourself:) ) might have the same connections?
Thanks!

Maybe there are tricks, but if someone gives you a solution, its incl already.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
There is a certain someone who Dan may not be happy with me mentioning his name because he runs a big travel blog, and he does this for $250. Smirk on the forums here took advantage of his talents and has told me that this person has been very helpful and it is well worth the money. Not only that but this guy has been to many places and discussed the ma'alos and chesronos of each place and gave some recommendations.
-Eli

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
There is a certain someone who Dan may not be happy with me mentioning his name because he runs a big travel blog, and he does this for $250. Smirk on the forums here took advantage of his talents and has told me that this person has been very helpful and it is well worth the money. Not only that but this guy has been to many places and discussed the ma'alos and chesronos of each place and gave some recommendations.

like a damaxer, but for money you mean?

Offline yudel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »
I believe there's a guy named dan that does this as well ;) i think he calls it dan's concierge service but i haven't seen any details on this...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
Thanks!

it Might be worth it (not saying $250 is) if a person really doesnt have the time to do their own homework or doesnt have the Patience but then had did they get all their miles & pts.

Ive yet to hear about anyone that has the ability to have any Program open up extra inventory so that they can book an award flight or stay. It is true that with some programs if a person has a high enough Elite level they maybe able to see some extra inventory that Joe doesnt, but I cant help but feel that if they book enough people that it wont be long before they are caught. I tried it once (miles coming out of the other partys acct and it ended up coming out of mine, got it all fixed and itwas for an immediate family member = not done for $$>

so basically all they will do is charge you which will offset their costs of having joined the likes of a KVS among others that will email them when something opens up and for checking and calling up

IMO sort of like you using a travel agent who will charge you a fee for having booked your tkt

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »
HHMMmmm, not exactly, I used to have a guy at LH that would release the booking class needed, as long as there was physically a seat available. I also have someone that tells me by a certain airline when people will be bumped off, and she will tell me when to approach the check in counter.

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
Basically those guys might know more then you, and here on this forum you can get this help.

I didn't want to bother you but if you could help me with this simple itinerary it would be great:
TLV - NYC leaving on Nov 4 coming back on Nov 8.
Business class.
Continental or US air (to LGA) would be the best option. Any other star alliance could also work.

I have US, CO, ANA, Amex and starpoints available. Just tell me which miles are needed and how many.

By the way - I tried with one of the 'service providers' mentioned above (again, I hate to bother you guys) and couldn't find as well...

Thanks for your efforts!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:39:32 AM by Shlomi »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »
I didn't want to bother you but if you could help me with this simple itinerary it would be great:
TLV - NYC leaving on Nov 4 coming back on Nov 8.
Business class.
Continental or US air (to LGA) would be the best option. Any other star alliance could also work.

I have US, CO, ANA, Amex and starpoints available. Just tell me which miles are needed and how many.

By the way - I tried with one of the 'service providers' mentioned above (again, I hate to bother you guys) and couldn't find as well...

Thanks for your efforts!!

this you can do yourself if you ever joined ANA, do a search and read how to get around the no miles in the acct problem

If you never opened up an ANA acct then you will need the help of someone who has such an acct

this is good only if a person will be using miles from a *A Carrier

if CO or US is what you ideally want then simply go onto continental.com and play around with EWR-TLV and LGA-TLV and  a calendar will pop up showing which dates have what avaialble. Or simply call CO or USand they will do all the leg work for you, as no one except maybe a Plat will have a seat avaialble that isnt to non-Plats

I never met someone yet who was able to get CO or US to open up a seat in Biz for Miles that wasnt already avaialble, so no need to pay anyone just you need to do your Homework as described above before asking others to do it for you

Its not really nice to ask people to do what you can do yourself but simply havent.If you already called or went to CO or US.com and nothing was there then no one will bebale to get it either, except a Plat on CO some times
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:39:14 PM by steve2 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
 It took me 10 secs to see 11/4 doesnt have anything but 11/3 does and 11/8 also just not non-stops for either, this is for a non-Elite I dont know why anyone wouldnt have put in the couple of mins needed but instead wants someone else to do the work for them

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 03:03:23 AM »
I hope you are not accusing me but I figured you would understand I already did these steps...
For the past 2 weeks I've been checking every day all these websited and nothing showed up.
Not ANA, not CO and not US. I called ana 5 times already and then when they had the flight they did not have return (or the other way arround)
My intiial question was if someone really has connections BESIDES what I could do myself (which I already did and doing).
Sorry if I upset anyone.
And steve2, no, I could not find the flight you were talking about.

Thanks anyways.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:42:11 AM »
I hope you are not accusing me but I figured you would understand I already did these steps...
For the past 2 weeks I've been checking every day all these websited and nothing showed up.
Not ANA, not CO and not US. I called ana 5 times already and then when they had the flight they did not have return (or the other way arround)
My intiial question was if someone really has connections BESIDES what I could do myself (which I already did and doing).
Sorry if I upset anyone.
And steve2, no, I could not find the flight you were talking about.

Thanks anyways.

theres a very good reason you couldnt find what I found,my mistake I was checking NYC-TLV

however checking what you asked for and not what I want to I found
115,000 Miles and    $162.99

Additional service fees may apply.

Purchase this reservation without redeeming miles.

Flight Details:
Depart:
1:20 a.m.
Thu., Nov. 4, 2010
Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)  Arrive:
5:20 a.m.
Thu., Nov. 4, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)  Flight Time:
5 hr 0 mn  Flight: SN3292
Aircraft: Airbus A319
Fare Class: Business (I)
Meal: Snack
No Special Meal Offered. 

Change Planes. Connect time in Brussels, Belgium (BRU) is 3 hours 30 minutes.
Depart:
8:50 a.m.
Thu., Nov. 4, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)  Arrive:
12:25 p.m.
Thu., Nov. 4, 2010
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)  Flight Time:
8 hr 35 mn

Travel Time:
17 hr 5 mn  Flight: CO61
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
Fare Class: BusinessFirst (I)
Meal: Lunch 

Flight SN 3292 is operated by Brussels Airlines.
Rail service available between Newark Liberty Airport and Manhattan.

Depart:
6:30 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 9, 2010
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)  Arrive:
7:50 a.m. +1 Day
Wed., Nov. 10, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)  Flight Time:
7 hr 20 mn  Flight: CO60
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
Fare Class: BusinessFirst (I)
Meal: Dinner 

Change Planes. Connect time in Brussels, Belgium (BRU) is 11 hours 15 minutes.
Depart:
7:05 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 10, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)  Arrive:
12:20 a.m. +1 Day
Thu., Nov. 11, 2010
Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)  Flight Time:
4 hr 15 mn

Travel Time:
22 hr 50 mn  Flight: SN3291
Aircraft: Airbus A319
Fare Class: Business (I)
Meal: Snack
No Special Meal Offered. 

Rail service available between Newark Liberty Airport and Manhattan.
Flight SN 3291 is operated by Brussels Airlines.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
 when you look at Continental and you see 'white' for the dates you are looking for still click it! as at times there might be seats just not on the non-stops

when checking ANA its a bit frustrating as you must look at each Hub city, so I take it in this case you never looked at BRU, my I suggest that anyone 1st write down on a piece of paper all the *A Carriers that serve TLV and from which airport (their hubs) then go to ANA and 1 by 1 fill in the info for each transit city

as for accusing anyone of anything, had you or the others (yes its not only you) simply posted looked at CO & US .coms tried ANA etc etc can someone please check least I didnt do it properly. Then wed know (unless the person isnt telling the truth) that they did their homework and arent simply asking so that dont have to.

and youd be surprised that people actually ask w/o having looked for themselves not only on this site
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:49:58 AM by steve2 »

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »
when you look at Continental and you see 'white' for the dates you are looking for still click it! as at times there might be seats just not on the non-stops

when checking ANA its a bit frustrating as you must look at each Hub city, so I take it in this case you never looked at BRU, my I suggest that anyone 1st write down on a piece of paper all the *A Carriers that serve TLV and from which airport (their hubs) then go to ANA and 1 by 1 fill in the info for each transit city

as for accusing anyone of anything, had you or the others (yes its not only you) simply posted looked at CO & US .coms tried ANA etc etc can someone please check least I didnt do it properly. Then wed know (unless the person isnt telling the truth) that they did their homework and arent simply asking so that dont have to.

and youd be surprised that people actually ask w/o having looked for themselves not only on this site
Thanks.
No hard feeling. Next time I'll phrase myself better...

I found that flight you were talking about. That tip with the white color is awsome! I never thought of checking after seeing the date is maeked with white...
I must say I'm not tempted to stay 12 hours in brussels - but at least its an option...

By the way, do you know on which *a you could buy 1-way only?

Thanks a lot!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer

BMI Diamond Club

M&M but expensive

CO, but a return in eco, works out often cheap.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
Thanks.
No hard feeling. Next time I'll phrase myself better...

I found that flight you were talking about. That tip with the white color is awsome! I never thought of checking after seeing the date is maeked with white...
I must say I'm not tempted to stay 12 hours in brussels - but at least its an option...

By the way, do you know on which *a you could buy 1-way only?

Thanks a lot!

1 other thing the SN flight to/from BRU is on a A-319 = 3x3 and no real biz seating and the CO is a 764 so no bed-flat or lie-flat seats eitehr just teh old cradle type and the IFE (movies etc isnt AVOD)

so if it was me Id probably go with the CO 84 non-stop even in coach then to fly at 1am and be sitting in a coach seat to BRU
but the BRU flight does get you @ 12:30pm while the CO non-stop gets in at 4:40pm

for the way back theres a SPG hotel @ the airport use C&P or all pts if you have them, theres a couple of restaurants in town or Antwepen isnt far by train