Topic Wiki

S&S in brick lowered the limit today to $200 on a card.
Each GC only $200 but you could buy more than 1 yesterday I was able to buy $500

Author Topic: Should every deal from the forum go public?  (Read 12573 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Should every deal from the forum go public?
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
This guy is a good argument against posting deals to the main site. As$%&#!

Offline gpapadop

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Travel Blogger Buzz
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »
I agree with:

Superspeed: "This deal is not the typical deal you post, most of the main site posts are clear easy straight forward posts. This post is more complicated and by getting the main site involved can just ruin it for everyone else.

Ifas25: "Being that its complicated people will make an issue in the stores (as you see they are calling and asking) and then S&S will realize its a bad idea to continue as suddenly they sold $100k worth of GC and nothing else. Then what do you think will happen? Next time they were planning on running the same promo they won't and all of us that have a little common sense and understand the way it works and were quietly enjoying this won't be able to take advantage anymore." AND "Also when everything gets to the main page, people will be scared to share tips, tricks and good long running deals like this S&S / Shell deal here on the forum because it will just be killed out."

CountValentine: "There is no easy answer here. It is a hard balancing act."

AI Travel: "It's because certain things don't/can't last if everybody does it."

smurf: "But when people post deals like this on the forums they're posting it for like minded individuals to see and gain from. When these deals go to the main page where many inexperienced people see it, they tend to  misunderstand the intricacies of the deal and inevitably lead to its early demise.
Maybe let the main site readers come here and learn a bit before taking advantage of deals they don't understand.
Ultimately ddfers are a breed of their own separate from ddmsers and if ddfers don't feel like their interests are being protected they'll simply stop sharing deals."

I declare smurf's post as MVP that goes to the essence of what we do! But we must understand that Dan runs a business that feeds his family and we all benefit from the site he has built and the information he shares and the community. Would I have posted this? No! It's a fine line indeed...I think it is healthy to let Dan know how we feel; feedback from readers is ALWAYS valuable imho.

I would think differently If I was taking advantage of the deal myself perhaps  ;D  But I had no skin in the game this time...

There will be more deals...

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 06:23:16 PM »
There will be more deals...
You mean like the SW VR deal?  :P
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
I agree with:
smurf: ....
Ultimately ddfers are a breed of their own separate from ddmsers and if ddfers don't feel like their interests are being protected they'll simply stop sharing deals."
+1
 ^  ^  my favorite quote from the whole MVP nomination of DDF quotes ^  ^    :)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:57 AM »
For the record a google search shows that this was posted on a extreme coupon type site that dwarfs the size the DD (6K Alexa ranking vs 26K) 4 days ago and it was on boardingarea back then as well.

Additionally anyone that wanted this deal had plenty of time to take advantage of it already.

I'm extremely selective on what goes on the main site and frankly I think this thread is an overreaction.  But I still appreciate the feedback.

Mahalo folks.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:16 AM »
For the record a google search shows that this was posted on a extreme coupon type site that dwarfs the size the DD (6K Alexa ranking vs 26K) 4 days ago and it was on boardingarea back then as well.

Additionally anyone that wanted this deal had plenty of time to take advantage of it already.

I'm extremely selective on what goes on the main site and frankly I think this thread is an overreaction.  But I still appreciate the feedback.

Mahalo folks.
I don't think that extreme coupon site sends out texts to 20,000 people when its posted there, so while they might be bigger, your site can be more impactful.

I'm not getting involved in this conversation, while I can hear both sides, but since you are taking feedback, I wanted to comment about you posting about price mistakes in general:

In my opinion, if its an "airline" price mistake which the DOT will force the airline to honor, then by all means post it. Of course it will cause it to get killed quicker, but that's just too bad. At least what was booked until its killed will be honored. But if its a 'hotel' or store that clearly writes that they are not responsible for errors, and by you sending out a text to 20,000 people it will probably cause those who found the deal in the first place to lose out, then you need to think long and hard if its proper to post it. B'h your site has become popular enough from airline mistakes ect, that you don't need to post 'everything'.

With the S&S argument here, I can hear both sides, and at least those that have been benefiting until now, got some use out of it, so its a tough balancing act for you. But if by posting an obvious hotel glitch which will probably not get honored once it gets out there, thus causing the deal finders to lose out, it may not always be the right thing.

Its a tough job you have!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 02:21:54 AM »
I'm not here to go back forth, but your site isn't at all comparable to those other sites.

The reason for that is ,
1)your site has a very concentrated targeted audience. (Which in turn has a very heavy affect on stores in that specific area
2) Many of your followers are very not deal/shtick savvy. Some of them think they are smarter than the rest, and some if them are simply too dumb to follow instructions.   :-X

I'm not a Lakewood basher. I'm just reporting what i've seen first hand many times over the past few years. (Obviously increasing rapidly over time - especially since about a year ago)

???
This just went live on Friday.

The points expire on a rolling 30 day period.

Anyone with some brains would wait till the end of the promo to stock up on points.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:59 AM »
I honestly think you underestimate the effect that your site has on these "local deals".

Yes, this is a local deal. When hundreds of people scramble to one store to do this, and many of them come up to the counter with no clue what they're supposed to do - its a local deal, and it has a huge effect.

/endrant

Offline popcorn1508

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 02:46:04 AM »
I find us ddfer to be Guinea Pigs for all Dan's main site deals we test them,figure out the loopholes and then he posts it and it gets killed. Hec he barely  comes up with deals these days they all have HT and mostly from ddf.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:50:37 AM by popcorn1508 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 03:03:14 AM »
I find us ddfer to be Guinea Pigs for all Dan's main site deals we test them,figure out the loopholes and then he posts it and it gets killed. Hec he barely  comes up with deals these days they all have HT and mostly from ddf.
Big talker you are with an HT: 0 next to your name....

This deal isn't the one you should be picking on IMHO. It's not a loophole, it's advertised in their stinkin' circular for a reason.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:08 AM »
Not constructive at all. Downright chutzpah.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 05:27:35 AM »
Not constructive at all. Downright chutzpah.
+1
This anger and resentment in this thread is appalling.

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
Lol! But it shouldn't come from you...

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:12 AM »
I definitely didn't bring up this thread to attack anyone, I was just thinking if things should rather be kept inside the forums rather than go public meaning to say to the people that doesn't have clue on how to use the Treifene internet (which is probably like 40%+ of @dansdeals followers)...

And btw May I know why it's impossible to load BB at Lakewood Wal-Mart branches?...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:13:17 AM by SearchGuy »

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
Treifene internet
According to a recent psak, it's no longer treif, but it is chalav stam.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
This deal isn't the one you should be picking on IMHO. It's not a loophole, it's advertised in their stinkin' circular for a reason.
What's at steak is not the gc for gas points promo.that I'm sure we'll be back. We're way more worried about s&s tightening their very flexible gc buying policies

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
What's at steak is not the gc for gas points promo.that I'm sure we'll be back. We're way more worried about s&s tightening their very flexible gc buying policies

oof w/ the spelling
;)

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
disgusting! To say dan doesn't get deals, could be but that's not the point. The effort he (has) put into this site is remarkable. If you don't appreciate his TRs and all the other stuff that's fine. But I don't think ddf is all about deals. Your not guinea pig by enjoying his site. You should be indebted to him. I'm not saying that things should not be posted as I clearly state in my previous post. But comn man a little respect.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
I don't understand what these arguments are all about.
DDF is a public site. If you don't want something to be leaked to the general street, don't post it on DDF.
If you do post it, you have no control over it, it could be Dan or any other blogger picking it up and posting it.
In my opinion, the only time Dan should have to decide whether to post a deal or not is for deals and glitches that are NOT yet on DDF.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Shreknit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
Wow popcorn that was really not cool. If it weren't for Dan and dds and ddf there would be alot you wouldn't know and you owe him a little hakarat hatov buddy.