Author Topic: best planes to rome  (Read 2997 times)

Offline steve L

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
best planes to rome
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
i am in the planning phase for a trip to rome next aug and back from venice. i would like to fly first or bus. i am only asking  what are the best airlines to fly there on. i have aa miles and continental miles

I have already found availablity with lufthansa in first . Also working on aa in first but they only have a 2 class cabin but can this be good  but it is a direct flight

is it possible you can give me your opinions?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: best planes to rome
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
 the problem is only DL from JFK and US from PHL fly non-stop to VCE both using a 767 and US wont be bed-flat

to FCO (Rome) theres AA,AZ (Alitalia), DL from JFK, CO,AZ from EWR and US from PHL not sure what will be used next Aug now its usually a 767

the best would be a DL/AZ say flying NY-VCE on DL then AZ VCE-FCO and then DL or AZ FCO-NY, but as usual DL will probably want way over 200k per Biz tkt

as AZ is a Partner in SkyTeam, using AA or CO or UA or US will mean you are on your own getting to/from Rome & Venice however you decide to do it. Maybe a flight to FRA and then to VCE can be worked in but that will be like flying from NY to Dallas to Boston way out of the way and will kill most of the day on you (thats for getting between Rome & Venice)

Id probably play with say Swiss to ZRH and then to VCE (if done right you can do <24 hrs in ZRH and it doesnt count against you), then train it down to Rome or the opposite. I didnt care much for LHs biz product

EasyJet flys between FCO & VCE for very little but will get you if you are checking in bags etc etc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
The Lufthansa First Class Terminal is a real treat, don't forget to request kosher meals if you do book that.
However Swiss F is better than Lufthansa F in the air hands down.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »
thank you .what about with oneworld and american .bec for the dates i want american had non stop but its a two class cabin and doesnt look so good

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »
thank you .what about with oneworld and american .bec for the dates i want american had non stop but its a two class cabin and doesnt look so good
Their 763 is nothing special.  58" pitch, 18.5" width, angled seats.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
so what would dan do? aa non stop in a bad seat or lh with 92" pitch but with a stop  . lx is not available as of now

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
so what would dan do? aa non stop in a bad seat or lh with 92" pitch but with a stop  . lx is not available as of now
No question, LH with a nice long layover in FRA.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »
im not sure if ur being sarcastic :) the only other issue is my wife doesnt like flying and im going with a baby imh. i really appreciate your patience and help seriously

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »
im not sure if ur being sarcastic :) the only other issue is my wife doesnt like flying and im going with a baby imh. i really appreciate your patience and help seriously

if you are simply comparing aircraft and seats I agree with Dan,LH over AA

now that you brought a wife and baby into the equation, I think its  something that will be  a  personal choice of what a person feels would be more comfortable for them. No question LH and its Clubs and service will blow AA to pieces.

But when a wife doesnt like to fly and a baby, could be the layover and having to connect especially at FRA which can be a nightmare (except for the FC Lounge) might make AA the better choice.

I say present the Pros and Cons of both to the wife and let her make the choice
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:59:25 PM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »
if you are simply comparing aircrafy and seats I agree with Dan,LH over AA

now that you brought a wife and baby into the equation, I think its  something that will be  a  personal choice of what a person feels would be more comfortable for them. No question LH and its Clubs and service will blow AA to pieces.

But when a wife doesnt like to fly and a baby, could be the layover and having to connect especially at FRA which can be a nightmare (except for the FC Lounge) might make AA the better choice.

I say present the Pros and Cons of both to the wife and let her make the choice
Agree 100% with everything steve2 just said.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
thank you steve2 and dan for all your contributions to the whole website.  if i need to fill up my co account  what is a fair ratio of spg points for amex point?

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
i have on hold first class with lh to rome.what would the pros do would you book the ticket or wait for lx to open. or can i just book it and if it opens switch it to swiss?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
i have on hold first class with lh to rome.what would the pros do would you book the ticket or wait for lx to open. or can i just book it and if it opens switch it to swiss?
It depends which miles you are using to book the trip with.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
Im not sue what you mean. im using co miles which i will have to top off with spg points. each ticket is costing 135,000 for first . Also is it worth to pay the extra 30,000 per ticket for first over business

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Im not sue what you mean. im using co miles which i will have to top off with spg points. each ticket is costing 135,000 for first . Also is it worth to pay the extra 30,000 per ticket for first over business
Yes, with CO miles you can easily switch to the Swiss flight or any other flight no problem.
LH Business is nothing special, either go LH first or AA business.

But I wouldn't top off CO miles with SPG as you'll get killed in the transfer.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
what do you think is better swiss first or lh first and is it a really big difference?

also, i would just trade spg points for amex points but not sure what is a fair ratio for the deal?
and can that person deposit miles into my continental account without a problem?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
what do you think is better swiss first or lh first and is it a really big difference?

also, i would just trade spg points for amex points but not sure what is a fair ratio for the deal?
and can that person deposit miles into my continental account without a problem?
Swiss F is much better in the air.
Lufthansa F is much better on the ground.

Anyone can deposit AMEX points in your CO account. 
There is no official fair ratio, it's just a matter of finding someone willing to trade with you at a rate where it makes sense for both of you.