Author Topic: Upgrade windows 8 32 bit to 64  (Read 1374 times)

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Upgrade windows 8 32 bit to 64
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »
So my kids have no school today thanks to the snow ...  I'm trying to load a new laptop with games and got stuck on clue getting error that the system is 32 bit and the game needs 64. From what I've read I would need to wipe the system clean and buy upgrade and reinstall. Any easier way to do this, also free ;D. I believe there is a free upgrade to 8.1 any way to get it to install the 64 bit even though I have 32 on the 8 version.
Thanks  in advance

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade windows 8 32 bit to 64
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »
So my kids have no school today thanks to the snow ...  I'm trying to load a new laptop with games and got stuck on clue getting error that the system is 32 bit and the game needs 64. From what I've read I would need to wipe the system clean and buy upgrade and reinstall. Any easier way to do this, also free ;D. I believe there is a free upgrade to 8.1 any way to get it to install the 64 bit even though I have 32 on the 8 version.
Thanks  in advance
This should belong in the computer troubleshooting thread.

Your research is correct, there is no way to 'upgrade x32 to x64.  A clean install would be necessary.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
This should belong in the computer troubleshooting thread.

Your research is correct, there is no way to 'upgrade x32 to x64.  A clean install would be necessary.
And CMIIW, it's not recommended to force a 64 OS into a a device that's originally made for 32.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
And CMIIW, it's not recommended to force a 64 OS into a a device that's originally made for 32.
You first have to check if your system is at all compatible with 64 bit. If it came with a x32 OS it's probably not. In any case, there's no way of doing an in place upgrade, a clean install would be needed.

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
You first have to check if your system is at all compatible with 64 bit. If it came with a x32 OS it's probably not. In any case, there's no way of doing an in place upgrade, a clean install would be needed.
Almost every computer within the last 5 years or so will take an x64.  A computer coming installed with x32 is no rayah.  The bigger shayla would be if you have an older printer, scanner, camera, etc.  Many manufacturers did not make updated x64 drivers.

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
Thanks for all info I think I'm gonna skip manage as is too much of a hassle