Topic Wiki

Members interested in starting a community in Hawaii:

1. Dan
2. @Yehuda - the guy who's never been there and also would have to go every Thursday-Sunday to LAX.
3. Mgoldhammer18-Would live by the Grand Hyatt, Kauai

If anyone wants to track MendyP's awesome adventure, you can do so here

Author Topic: Making A Community In Hawaii  (Read 70268 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Making A Community In Hawaii
« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Yes, it definitely is a city. And there are definitely parts of it, like any city, that do not look pretty. Although I love the apartment we found, and it's close to Chabad, when you walk out of the building, it's not the prettiest (others were on much nicer blocks, but the apts weren't good options). However, if I walk 15 minutes I can be in back of the Hawaiian Hilton Village or at the Magic Island Lagoon, looking back at the coastline of Waikiki, and it's gorgeous. If not for wanting to be walking distance to a shul, we' probably move to Kailua or somewhere and commute into HNL.

I just scheduled 3 weeks off from work, a week each in April, June, and July. Thinking Kauai, Maui, and Big Island (did the Big Island 3 years ago, have not been to the other 2 yet). Would also like to see Molokai/Lanai during this upcoming year.
Yeah, I imagine it's the only island that's practical to live on in regards to a job. My firm has an office in HNL but obviously not on the other islands. And HNL is the only city that makes sense to live in in regards to walking to Shul on Shabbos.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
3 boroughs in one day? You must be really adventurous... :P
It's just 6K UA to go from one to the next.  :P

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
Yeah, I imagine it's the only island that's practical to live on in regards to a job. My firm has an office in HNL but obviously not on the other islands. And HNL is the only city that makes sense to live in in regards to walking to Shul on Shabbos.
Maui's Chabad doesn't have a Minyan Shabbos?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I imagine it's the only island that's practical to live on in regards to a job. My firm has an office in HNL but obviously not on the other islands.

Why's that? Wed make our own shul and eruv where ever we set up...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
It's just 6K UA to go from one to the next.  :P
Plus baggage. Or book with DD corporate and get free baggage ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
Maui's Chabad doesn't have a Minyan Shabbos?
My Shul comment was coming after the assumption that you live on Oahu for job purposes, you'll need to live in HNL so you can walk to Shul.

Besides for the people running DDF, a job is likely keeping you on Oahu.

I was gonna say the $5.60 is cheaper than the tolls ;) Free? I thought there's a fee to use corporate?

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »

Yes, it definitely is a city. And there are definitely parts of it, like any city, that do not look pretty. Although I love the apartment we found, and it's close to Chabad, when you walk out of the building, it's not the prettiest (others were on much nicer blocks, but the apts weren't good options). However, if I walk 15 minutes I can be in back of the Hawaiian Hilton Village or at the Magic Island Lagoon, looking back at the coastline of Waikiki, and it's gorgeous. If not for wanting to be walking distance to a shul, we' probably move to Kailua or somewhere and commute into HNL.

I just scheduled 3 weeks off from work, a week each in April, June, and July. Thinking Kauai, Maui, and Big Island (did the Big Island 3 years ago, have not been to the other 2 yet). Would also like to see Molokai/Lanai during this upcoming year.
kol hakavod to you on your brave move,
What are you doing about schools for the kids

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »
I was gonna say the $5.60 is cheaper than the tolls ;) Free? I thought there's a fee to use corporate?
$6 to use corporate. I booked with UA miles last week and paid $120 for bags for 2 people.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »
$6 to use corporate. I booked with UA miles last week and paid $120 for bags for 2 people.
$6 is not too bad. $120 for bags? I imagine that's still cheaper than had you paid cash and gone through corporate. So does that mean that if you book EWR-HNL-OGG/LIH/etc, and have free bags for the first leg, they won't check your bags all the way through for free?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 19, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
$6 is not too bad. $120 for bags? I imagine that's still cheaper than had you paid cash and gone through corporate. So does that mean that if you book EWR-HNL-OGG/LIH/etc, and have free bags for the first leg, they won't check your bags all the way through for free?
I needed a specific flight so it was marginally cheaper to pay that, but often tickets are $65-$90 which would mean corporate is cheaper...

I do not know. I assume not though. Probably charge each time you check them in.

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 19, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
kol hakavod to you on your brave move,
What are you doing about schools for the kids
Just have an 8 month old right now, and the plan is to be here for a year, so no issues for now. If more people move and we open a school, maybe we'll stay ;)

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
My Shul comment was coming after the assumption that you live on Oahu for job purposes, you'll need to live in HNL so you can walk to Shul. Besides for the people running DDF, a job is likely keeping you on Oahu. I was gonna say the $5.60 is cheaper than the tolls ;) Free? I thought there's a fee to use corporate?
Exactly, most jobs are on Oahu. The truth is, Oahu gives you the best of both worlds. Yes, we all love Hawaii for the nature, but if I lived on Kauai, I'd imagine after a month I'd start getting crazy island fever. Whereas Oahu offers you the city, nightlife, stores that stay open past 7pm, (the jobs which is a necessity), etc, and you can drive 10 minutes and be out of Honolulu headed towards beautiful quiet places as well....

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 19, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
If I use AA miles to fly interisland on Hawaiian, and I have the AA credit card, I'm assuming the free baggage extends to Hawaiian since I'm booking through American. Is that a fair assumption?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »
If I use AA miles to fly interisland on Hawaiian, and I have the AA credit card, I'm assuming the free baggage extends to Hawaiian since I'm booking through American. Is that a fair assumption?
Nope, free bags are only on AA metal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
Nope, free bags are only on AA metal.
Thanks Dan. Does booking a neighbor island ticket with the DD corporate account get you the reduced baggage fee of $15?

From hawaiianairlines.com: (http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80)
As a member benefit, HawaiianMiles members will enjoy reduced 1st and 2nd checked baggage fees when flying between the Neighbor Islands, traveling wholly within the State of Hawaii. For example, a ticket from Honolulu (Oahu) to Kahului (Maui) is considered a Neighbor Island ticket, and therefore, Neighbor Island bag fees apply. A ticket from JFK to Kahului with a connection in Honolulu will be considered a North America ticket, and therefore, North America bag fees apply. Discount applies to confirmed Hawaiian Airlines revenue tickets and flight award tickets redeemed with HawaiianMiles. Discount is applicable on any fare class ticket. Baggage discounts will only be applied when your HawaiianMiles number is present in your reservation, or added prior to completing the check-in process.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #395 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
Corp account bookings get 2 free bags per person on all flights.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 19, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
The Lubavitchers are going to put up an eruv?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Exactly, most jobs are on Oahu. The truth is, Oahu gives you the best of both worlds. Yes, we all love Hawaii for the nature, but if I lived on Kauai, I'd imagine after a month I'd start getting crazy island fever. Whereas Oahu offers you the city, nightlife, stores that stay open past 7pm, (the jobs which is a necessity), etc, and you can drive 10 minutes and be out of Honolulu headed towards beautiful quiet places as well....
Good point. By the way, did you every say what you do? I'm curious to know, if you're willing to share...

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »
The Lubavitchers are going to put up an eruv?
They may not use it but they'll put it up...

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
Good point. By the way, did you every say what you do? I'm curious to know, if you're willing to share...
I work at a Big 4 accounting firm