Author Topic: Mi K'Amcha Yisroel  (Read 12318 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Mi K'Amcha Yisroel
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »

While we're at it, let me share the rest of that letter, which contains another remarkable personal story.

As I was reading through the Voice this past week, I chanced upon an ad that stirred up my recollection of an incident that took place with me a few years back; an incident that evokes that warm feeling of pride, of feeling honored to be a part of this great Jewish nation. I resolved that I would share the tale with the public, that they too can be inspired.

The ad that appeared in the Voice was one for Kova Hats. The store, which is based in Brooklyn, has opened a branch in Lakewood, and was advertising to inform the community that they were up and running. Seeing the mention of Kova Hats, a scene flickered into my mind.

I had gone into the Brooklyn branch a number of years ago with the intention of buying a hat. I was measured and then handed hat after hat to try on. One was too wide, the next too shallow, and yet another just didn’t feel right. Finally they handed me the hat. It was simply perfect! It sat majestically on my head, the crown was the precise height, and the brim’s arc so meticulous. After admiring it in the mirror for a brief moment, I handed the hat to the salesman and informed him that I would like to buy that hat. He said that they just had to fix the finishing touches and the hat would be ready for me to take home. I sat down to wait, but was surprised when just a minute later Mrs. Ehrman, the proprietor, gestured to me from behind the counter. I returned to the counter and saw Mrs. Ehrman holding my hat. “I’m really sorry, but I can’t sell you this hat,” she said to my surprise. “Although you can’t detect it, I can feel that the structure is not as strong as it should be. Although it will retain its shape for some time, it will subsequently start to fall apart. So, I’m truly sorry that you went through the trouble of choosing this hat, but there’s no way I can sell it to you.”

I left Kova that day without a hat, but I had something far more valuable than a mere physical object. I had seen with my own eyes that when someone believes that their Parnassa is dictated from above, they have no desire to finagle the extra buck. How can I possibly shortchange another and actually gain off it in the long run?! Pristine honesty becomes a no brainer!

But since we are surrounded by a secular world, with everyone trying to undercut the next, where passing off flawed goods is an industry norm, we must constantly remind ourselves of this most basic principle.

Allow me to share with you one more incident. This incident as well left me speechless.

It was a few weeks before my Chasuna... [here is where I wrote the abovementioned story] ... Turning to me, “Go to Silberger’s,” he said, referring to a competing suit store a few blocks away, “they have the exact suit you want and they put it aside for you.”

Need I say any more?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »

I would complain that you are riding on my story to get likes... but then you'll scroll back a few posts and go like, hmmmmm, who wrote that post?!  ;)

https://twitter.com/ChaikelK/status/1305311810241941504

h/t @Chaikel

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
The DDMS advertisement for Lakewood Bikur Cholim auction has prompted me to share this recent story, which is one of the incidents behind my comment on that post. I've used Bikur Cholim before for referrals, and I've eaten at the Bikur Cholim pantries at hospitals when my children were born, but the following incident took place just this month.

My DW got a sudden, terrible pain, and after calling a relative of mine who is a Hatzolah volunteer, I decided to go to the emergency room. I showed up at the emergency department of MMCSC/Kimball at midnight, and they told me to wait in the outer waiting room, in what they estimated would be an hour-long line. My DW was in excruciating pain, but being that this was the outer waiting room, there was no possibility of even seeing a doctor to get pain meds. I tried speaking to the front desk, but they told me to sit down and wait my turn patiently. The pain level of my DW prompted my to call by my Hatzolah relative, and he told me he'll call me back in a minute.

One minute later, he called back. "Wait there, and Rabbi Yehuda Kaszirer from Bikur Cholim will be there in two minutes."

Sure enough, two minutes later, at about 12:15 in the morning, the head of Bikur Cholim walked into the hospital waiting room. I appraised him of the urgency of the situation, and he promised to pass along my message to the head doctor in the ER. Minutes later, my DW was allowed in and was able to get pain meds. When the doctor came in, he said that he had a conversation with "Yehuda" about the situation, and he was extra patient and helpful. (Thankfully, it was not a serious medical issue, and she is completely fine now.)

Needless to say, when I saw the DDMS ad, I immediately gave a donation. (Dan, let them know that they are getting their money's worth by advertising here - I did not know about the auction until I saw it on the site.)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »
The DDMS advertisement for Lakewood Bikur Cholim auction has prompted me to share this recent story, which is one of the incidents behind my comment on that post. I've used Bikur Cholim before for referrals, and I've eaten at the Bikur Cholim pantries at hospitals when my children were born, but the following incident took place just this month.

My DW got a sudden, terrible pain, and after calling a relative of mine who is a Hatzolah volunteer, I decided to go to the emergency room. I showed up at the emergency department of MMCSC/Kimball at midnight, and they told me to wait in the outer waiting room, in what they estimated would be an hour-long line. My DW was in excruciating pain, but being that this was the outer waiting room, there was no possibility of even seeing a doctor to get pain meds. I tried speaking to the front desk, but they told me to sit down and wait my turn patiently. The pain level of my DW prompted my to call by my Hatzolah relative, and he told me he'll call me back in a minute.

One minute later, he called back. "Wait there, and Rabbi Yehuda Kaszirer from Bikur Cholim will be there in two minutes."

Sure enough, two minutes later, at about 12:15 in the morning, the head of Bikur Cholim walked into the hospital waiting room. I appraised him of the urgency of the situation, and he promised to pass along my message to the head doctor in the ER. Minutes later, my DW was allowed in and was able to get pain meds. When the doctor came in, he said that he had a conversation with "Yehuda" about the situation, and he was extra patient and helpful. (Thankfully, it was not a serious medical issue, and she is completely fine now.)

Needless to say, when I saw the DDMS ad, I immediately gave a donation. (Dan, let them know that they are getting their money's worth by advertising here - I did not know about the auction until I saw it on the site.)

Glad your DW is okay BH, these kinds of ordeals are pretty scary in the moment.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
Glad your DW is okay BH, these kinds of ordeals are pretty scary in the moment.
+100

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
The DDMS advertisement for Lakewood Bikur Cholim auction - I did not know about the auction until I saw it on the site.)
I bh don't have such a story to share but they're both accurate, DDMS ads are very effective and LBC is a great organization, and I also donated because of the ad.

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2021, 11:58:26 PM »
This post just gave me a greater appreciation for Mi K'Amcha Yisroel

A bit of context
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:00 AM »
This post just gave me a greater appreciation for Mi K'Amcha Yisroel

A bit of context
וד׳׳ל...

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2021, 09:20:05 PM »
Every time I think of this thread topic, I'm reminded of this story:
During the regional Black out of 2003 both Klein’s and mehadrin’s wear houses lost power bringing potential disaster to they’re businesses.
After just installing a state of the art generator Klein’s freezers were back on line and the costly investment seemed to pay off marvelously.
Then in an act of magnificent Kidush Hashem Mr.Klein called his biggest “competitor” Mehadrin, and invited them to use the Klein wear house freezer to store they’re inventory so it would not spoil.
They further let them plug in they’re delivery trucks in to they’re outdoor outlets.
Lesson to all the ice cream loving Jews. There is no competition.
There is only Hashem.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
Every time I think of this thread topic, I'm reminded of this story:
During the regional Black out of 2003 both Klein’s and mehadrin’s wear houses lost power bringing potential disaster to they’re businesses.
After just installing a state of the art generator Klein’s freezers were back on line and the costly investment seemed to pay off marvelously.
Then in an act of magnificent Kidush Hashem Mr.Klein called his biggest “competitor” Mehadrin, and invited them to use the Klein wear house freezer to store they’re inventory so it would not spoil.
They further let them plug in they’re delivery trucks in to they’re outdoor outlets.
Lesson to all the ice cream loving Jews. There is no competition.
There is only Hashem.

Thanks for posting the link. While the typos in the comment you posted irk me, I love the following comment:

Eli, ice cream is the perfect health food. it has a balance of all three macro nutrients, protein, fats, and carbs. the key is to eat it as a meal replacement instead of a dessert.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »
Itzik Benjamin +972-54-797-9203 recommended calling Maayanei Hayeshua. But in the interim we got the doctor to go into his office and print the results and whatsapp it to a VERY NICE frum lady in the airport!!
wow, mi k'amcha yisroel!

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
https://wa.me/message/WY23P24YZE2CH1
The only "news" status you should be following

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2023, 10:55:46 AM »
email from Sol Werdiger

There are so many incredible Agudah programs across this country and it's gratifying to watch them flourish: if there is one initiative from which I have extra special nachas, it is the H3 Business Halacha Summit.

We take pride in the overwhelming interest of a young generation in ensuring that in their positions- in real estate, finance, health care, sales - fits perfectly with their identity, that of Shulchan Aruch Yidden. Agudas Yisroel was founded with this vision, to allow those who don't merit spending all their time between the beis medrash walls to belong to something higher.

Part of running a business is realizing that at every juncture, there are chances to increase kvod Shamayim and create a Kiddush Hashem

Often, we have people come visit our office with their families - employees, associates, vendors and friends, because they enjoy being shown around. If they are Yidden, we try to engage them in conversation, knowing that every neshama has a light switch waiting to be activated.

I remember one secular Jewish family that came up, and I took them around, showing them how Super Bowl jerseys are made, how some of the other sports apparel is designed - the stuff that the kids find mesmerizing.

This family had a son who asked a million questions- but less about sports, and more about how a Jew in the sports apparel business makes it work.

He wanted to know if I went to games like the Super Bowl and when he confirmed that I did, he asked if I ate kosher food. Of course, I told him, recalling some of the different venues and events at which our group was accommodated, in terms of kashrus and other relevant halachos.

He was fascinated.

A few weeks later, my secretary put through an unfamiliar caller.

I took the phone to hear a man say, “Sol, you owe me fifty thousand dollars!”

I wasn’t sure who was speaking and what he meant, so I waited for him to continue.

“This is Jason," he said, "a few weeks ago, we were in your office and my boy was asking you all these questions about kosher at different stadiums and games, and now, he has a new fixation. He is becoming a bar mitzvah and he keeps saying, “Mr. Werdiger had kosher food at the Super Bowl and the World Series and the NBA finals…can’t I at least have a kosher bar mitzvah?”

Jason explained that he had tried to make his son happy, and a kosher caterer had charged him fifty thousand dollars more than the alternative.

Not sure how serious he was, I told him that it would be an honor for my family to have a share in this incredible merit- and we would cover the costs of the kosher caterer.

He laughed. “Sol, I am a wealthy man. The bar mitzvah is in the Pierre Hotel and it’s costing me over a million dollars….I just wanted you to know that my son is having a kosher bar mitzvah”- and here, the man’s voice cracked, “and it will be the first kosher affair in my family in generations.”

To me, that’s a story not about one man or one family, but about what a neshamah is.

Every single businessman out there is also an ambassador, and gatherings like H3 allow us to be as effective as we can, turning our 9 to 5 into kvod Shamayim too.

In times like this, when even Jews who might be considered distant are suddenly newly interested in what it means to be a Jew, the obligation is more serious than ever.

May we all be zoche to live up to that which is expected from us!

Shloime

100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2023, 03:17:58 PM »
email from Sol Werdiger
Anyone have his number? I want to call him about something... :P

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »
Anyone have his number? I want to call him about something... :P

Just take in consideration that people are more generous with likes when it goes to feed our brethren in Israel