Author Topic: Yehuda S's dream, once in a lifetime (maybe) 9 month trip  (Read 8661 times)

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Yehuda S's dream, once in a lifetime (maybe) 9 month trip
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »
Do I need to do anything to get the student visa or do I just tell them that at the airport?

Also do I need to show proof of a school that I will be attending?
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Got a clue

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Any idea what prices are like in Ramat Beit Shemesh? Or Places on the outskirts of Jerusalem?

I dont know youre backround but the experience of living in Jerusalem is a lot different then Ramat Beit Shemesh...

Oh and I dont know 2 many people who only pay 450 shekel on their electric bill

Offline shauly

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Do I need to do anything to get the student visa or do I just tell them that at the airport?

Also do I need to show proof of a school that I will be attending?

You make an appointment with the Misrad Hapanim. You will need a letter from your yeshiva, as well as some other documents.

He can be on BL max for 3 months and thats if he gets a visa the day he arrives....

Like i wrote before, you just stick with your student visa you get when you arrive into the country.

They only give a three month tourist Visa when you arrive. If you want to get on BL, you need a student visa, as well as if you want to get an Arnona discount. And as I said, BL will reimburse you for medical expenses incurred before you got on.

That's the most I've ever paid, and that includes running heat and a radiator. You just be careful, turn off lights, don't leave the dud on for longer than you have to..

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »

I dont know youre backround but the experience of living in Jerusalem is a lot different then Ramat Beit Shemesh...

I'm well aware. But I'd prefer to be on budget and at peace than over budget and stressed.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »
If ure coming for 9 months to get a taste of what u missed not coming after marriage and reorient, i would definitely advise staying in jerusalem proper. Ramat beit shemesh is 45 min out and definitely not even close to the experience ull have living locally.  Maaleh adumim is a 15 min car ride out and a gated community next to the arabs. Unless u have strong settler-like feelings, avoid it. Neve yaakov is cheap, but its also a bit out there and itsnot a young happening american communty, which it sounds like u need.

The best options are arzei, maalot dafna, ramat eshkol or rechavia. Rechavia is a more of a wealthy area filled with actually wealthy americans and many older americans who come a few weeks a year.  Arzei maalot dafna and ramat eshkol are all within a ten minute walk of each other. Price wise arzei is the most expensive and has a more affluent crowd. Maalot dafna is the cheapest. Ramat eshkol is the nicest, aesthetically speaking. At the end of the day u should prob see which of those 3 areas ure wife/ureself have friends in and go with that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:12:11 PM by yare »

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

If ure coming for 9 momths to get a taste of what u missed not coming after marriage and reorient, i would definitely advise staying in jerusalem proper. Ramat beit shemesh is 45 min out and definitely not even close to the experience ull have living locally.  Maaleh adumim is a 15 min car ride out and a gated community next to the arabs. Unless u have strong settler-like feelings, avoid it. Neve yaakov is cheap, but its also a bit out there and itsnot a young happening american communty, which it sounds like u need.

The best options are arzei, maalot dafna, ramat eshkol or rechavia. Rechavia is a more of a wealthy area filled with actually wealthy americans and many older americans who come a few weeks a year.  Arzei maalot dafna and ramat eshkol are all within a ten minute walk of each other. Price wise arzei is the most expensive and has a more affluent crowd. Maalot dafna is the cheapest. Ramat eshkol is the nicest, aesthetically speaking. At the end of the day u should prob see which of those 3 areas ure wife/ureself have friends in and go with that.
Thanks for this great info. As long as I'm not planning on settling in for a very long time I'm ok living in something modest. I'm hoping to spend lots of time OUTside the apartment.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
If ure coming for 9 months to get a taste of what u missed not coming after marriage and reorient, i would definitely advise staying in jerusalem proper. Ramat beit shemesh is 45 min out and definitely not even close to the experience ull have living locally.  Maaleh adumim is a 15 min car ride out and a gated community next to the arabs. Unless u have strong settler-like feelings, avoid it. Neve yaakov is cheap, but its also a bit out there and itsnot a young happening american communty, which it sounds like u need.

well said

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
Another thing to consider, if ure daughter will be turning 5 next year there will be very few options for private gans for that age. A year or two ago the city gans became free for americans and that put most of the private gans out of business. I dont know about arzei and maalot dafna, but i dont think there are any in ramat eshkol for that age next year. City gans mean hebrew speaking morah, ie, not what u want.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

Another thing to consider, if ure daughter will be turning 5 next year there will be very few options for private gans for that age. A year or two ago the city gans became free for americans and that put most of the private gans out of business. I dont know about arzei and maalot dafna, but i dont think there are any in ramat eshkol for that age next year. City gans mean hebrew speaking morah, ie, not what u want.
She will be 4 when we leave in January turning five that summer. Are there options for four year olds? I don't mind doing some home schooling but will need somewhere for her to go during the day.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
She will be 4 when we leave in January turning five that summer. Are there options for four year olds? I don't mind doing some home schooling but will need somewhere for her to go during the day.

Also at 4 I don't see why she couldn't have a Hebrew speaking Morah.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
You make an appointment with the Misrad Hapanim. You will need a letter from your yeshiva, as well as some other documents.

They only give a three month tourist Visa when you arrive. If you want to get on BL, you need a student visa, as well as if you want to get an Arnona discount. And as I said, BL will reimburse you for medical expenses incurred before you got on.

That's the most I've ever paid, and that includes running heat and a radiator. You just be careful, turn off lights, don't leave the dud on for longer than you have to..
Dude, no offense, pls pls stop giving over useless information.

number 1 - you need to be in the country for 6 months on a visa to even consider getting onto BL. Its a huge pita (as i am here for 2 yrs and im on it).
number 2 - i never ever heard anyone have an issue for being on a tourist visa for 9 months. Theyll let him leave the country, and esp if he leaves in between at all then he'll forsure be ok.
number 3 - not sure what goes on in rechavia, but i pay minimum 450 shekel on an easy warm month, and i get heat from my building and i have a dud shemesh.... dont forget water bills runs 2/300 soemtimes. and gd only knows how carefull we are with having lights off and so on. (and i barely ran any heaters this winter so far)

well said
Sounds like a broken record. :) Personally i think the cheapest will be in ramat eshkol (but thats far) otherwise yo can find very solid apartments in maalot dafna. the cheapest i ever heard was 3800 shekel. (i pay 4500 and mine comes fully furnished.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
you need to speak to mmerms and ppl. they have kids in that range. just realize it will be chilly part of the time your here, so it will def be harder to get out to the park and what not. Though, yare i can be wrong but i think there is a bunch of private gans.

But i will ask the person whose wife runs the iriya (citys) gan tom how it works for americans.

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
Though, i can be wrong

well said.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »
well said.
do you live here now in jlem proper?

just curious

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
do you live here now in jlem proper?

just curious
for 7 years and counting

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »
for 7 years and counting
amazing! Kol hakavod!

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »

Sounds like a broken record.
not to me it dont

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »

But i will ask the person whose wife runs the iriya (citys) gan tom how it works for americans.
Thank you!

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
not to me it dont
i guess you didnt read the first three times ppl said the same thing (it wasnt a knock it was just a statement)

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
i guess you didnt read the first three times ppl said the same thing (it wasnt a knock it was just a statement)
i thought he laid out the options in a very clear way is all. im entitled to my opinion