Author Topic: Yehuda S's dream, once in a lifetime (maybe) 9 month trip  (Read 8599 times)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: Yehuda S's dream, once in a lifetime (maybe) 9 month trip
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
i thought he laid out the options in a very clear way is all. im entitled to my opinion
Perfect.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline shauly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »
Dude, no offense, pls pls stop giving over useless information.

number 1 - you need to be in the country for 6 months on a visa to even consider getting onto BL. Its a huge pita (as i am here for 2 yrs and im on it).
number 2 - i never ever heard anyone have an issue for being on a tourist visa for 9 months. Theyll let him leave the country, and esp if he leaves in between at all then he'll forsure be ok.
number 3 - not sure what goes on in rechavia, but i pay minimum 450 shekel on an easy warm month, and i get heat from my building and i have a dud shemesh.... dont forget water bills runs 2/300 soemtimes. and gd only knows how carefull we are with having lights off and so on. (and i barely ran any heaters this winter so far)

1 - I said that it takes six months in my original post. It's right in there, in the beginning. I never told him to get on it, he asked what the health insurance options are, and that's what I told him.

2 - I never said he'd have an issue staying on a tourist visa. I told him the benefits of getting a student visa.

3 - I have no clue about your electricity.

Offline Got a clue

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
[/quote

As I stated before I dont know anyone who pays close to 450 for a 6-8 week period.. its a lot more

Offline shauly

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:34 PM »
[/quote

As I stated before I dont know anyone who pays close to 450 for a 6-8 week period.. its a lot more

I guess I'm just lucky. Even with my heaviest usage, I've never gotten a bill for over 500.

The only information that I posted in a relatively matter-of-fact way was the electric information, and if I'm mistaken then I apologize for misleading. I thought I was very clear that I was posting my personal experiences.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:32:49 PM by shauly »

Offline dudi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
As a person who grew up in Ramat beit shemesh as a american Israeli for the last 13 and b4 that lived in beit shemesh so I happen to know a lot about the Ramat beit shemesh community (father is very big there) I may be able to help out a bit in info about the place ppl to contact etc... I personally think that if u wanna go to Israel and manage to live there for 9 month without finishing all you money just bcs you are american I would advise you not to move to Ramat eshkol arzei habira maalot dafna areas.
I have nothing against those places but they are not ment for ppl who want to live on their own money but for ppl who have parents supporting them and don't mind spending more for no reason. ( again nothing against the place just being realistic) if u are interested in finding out about RBS PM me and I will direct you to the right ppl who can help you out.
And even if you just wanna hear about living in Israel from ppl who permanently live there PM me I will try help you out as much as possible

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 02:18:01 AM »
January from nine months doesn't really fit into the kollel schedule. You'll catch the last half of winter zman, Summer and Elul.

Not sure what your goal is with this but IMO by the time you get adjusted it'll be time to leave.

And I doubt anyone will be interested in employing someone who has no experience for nine months. Not worth the investment
Something else to consider...instead of going from January to after chagim, there are many reasons to go from chagim to tisha b'av.

1.  Kollel schedule, chavrusas, new place..you will be coming in the middle of the zman - nisht here, nishte heir.  After pesach to summer is short and much more shvach.  Summer zman can be really shvach in American yeshivas because of everyone coming and going. You'll be ending with Elul, yeah!, but your heads will be in packing and leaving by then.  If kollel is your entire morning/day and you don't find your place, then the effort is almost for naught. 

2.  Elul time is so geshmak in a good yeshiva; it can carry you through for months!

3.  You'll be starting at the same time as everyone else!

4.  The chagim and especially succos is a time for inviting.  This is a PERFECT opportunity for all your new neighbors and contacts to invite you for meals and you and your wife can exponentially immerse yourselves in new social relationships.  This will make it so much easier for you two to be more quickly socially integrated.

5.  I imagine any work opportunities for you and your wife would be more available in Elul, beginning of the year, than in midyear January.

6.  Your daughter would find and start a gan with everyone else as opposed to coming in the middle of the year and hoping for an opening and expect instant acceptance to already formed playgroups. (Of course, it's possible, just easier when she starts with everyone else.)

7.  You'll have all the reasons #1-#6 above all over again when you come back to America after Elul at the end of your 9 months.  Better to come after Tisha b'Av to allow yourselves to prepare for the new year in kollel, work, school.  If you are planning on working PT with schoolage children, jobs go Sept-Sept.

IMHO, to make your dreamtrip come true the way you envisioned it, it makes more sense for it to be from Elul or at least from the chagim to summer instead.

Offline satturn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:14 AM »
I would highly recommend not getting BL if you're staying for 9 months. Unless there is a possibility of birth, or pregnancy during that time. Once you sign up with them, if you even in the future want to move to Israel (even many years down the line), they might charge you retroactively for all those years. I know people who came back for a little and were hit with  20000 shekel BL bills, and their bank accounts frozen.

Student Visas are annoying, got with what rots5 said, don't get a visa, and stay the 9 months. They probably scream at you when you leave, just politely say you're sorry.

Ramat Bet Shemesh has gone up in price, there are no more $500 deals there.

My water bills are about 150 a month, electric is about 600-700 for 2 months, up to 1000 when using heat.

Jobs probably will be hard for you here for such a short time.

I remember there being English speaking Municipal free gan. Im not sure though. (it might of been a dual hebrew/english gan)

I dont recommended buying 2nd hand furniture, for a short stay. It going to be a big balagan. If you were staying for a few years, it would be a great idea.

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 06:23:55 AM »
I found out about Gan's. You can get into the free american gan. From what the person whose wife runs it told me is that there is around 35 slots for the one in Machal. He said there is at least 2 of these in ramat eshkol and one in arzie.

There are plenty of places to.send ur child in any of these neighborhoods.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
As a person who grew up in Ramat beit shemesh as a american Israeli for the last 13 and b4 that lived in beit shemesh so I happen to know a lot about the Ramat beit shemesh community (father is very big there) I may be able to help out a bit in info about the place ppl to contact etc... I personally think that if u wanna go to Israel and manage to live there for 9 month without finishing all you money just bcs you are american I would advise you not to move to Ramat eshkol arzei habira maalot dafna areas.
I have nothing against those places but they are not ment for ppl who want to live on their own money but for ppl who have parents supporting them and don't mind spending more for no reason. ( again nothing against the place just being realistic) if u are interested in finding out about RBS PM me and I will direct you to the right ppl who can help you out.
And even if you just wanna hear about living in Israel from ppl who permanently live there PM me I will try help you out as much as possible
What's the difference if he lives in America or in a place in Israel living like an American? Is he finishing up all his money where he's living now?
People survive in those communities spending their own money...
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
Jobs probably will be hard for you here for such a short time.

(it might of been a dual hebrew/english gan)

I dont recommended buying 2nd hand furniture, for a short stay. It going to be a big balagan. If you were staying for a few years, it would be a great idea.
Short term jobs would be difficult anywhere, but there are US companies who use Americans living in E-Y as phone or on the computer workers.  I know of one such company that deals with special ed so would be good for either of you.  You can PM re this.

Unless you know that a child has learning issues, a 4-5 yr old, especially girl, will do just fine in an Israeli gan.  She will pick up the language in no time (and end up having an Israeli accent!)

I beg to differ re used furniture.  I believe that is the ideal way to go in your situation.  If you are only going to be there temporarily, there are even gamachs for FREE furniture, Janglo (an English speaking computer forum community), and if you want to go a big step up in quality... all the Americans who are leaving at the end of the year (that's if you go in Elul) needing to sell their really nice furniture that their parents bought them after the chasuna.      You can buy a full apartment's worth of furniture for one price.  Ask around what it goes for; I've heard from $2000-$10000.  Hatzlocho!

Offline Got a clue

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:02 AM »
Anyone know of an individual that applied for handicapped bituach leumi??