Author Topic: Interesting Tech Articles  (Read 64585 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Interesting Tech Articles
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
CAMM has been approved to eventually replace SODIMM.
Among other things:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/1473126/camm-the-future-of-laptop-memory-has-arrived.html

There goes one more excuse for soldered RAM.
CAMM has been approved by JDEC. Should be here and replacing SODIMMs by DDR6 RAM the latest. (Dell already has the first gen version, which they developed on their own, inside a very few of their laptops.)
1. Screws down instead of click.
2. It is possible to run dual channel with just one card.
3. Can go past SODIMM's wall of DDR5-6400 in speed and capacity of the first version scales to 128GB in one card.
4. LPDDRX standard can (sounds like WILL) be implemented without being soldered. However, it will pin in differently than the standard DDRs.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/dell-made-camm-memory-is-certified-as-new-mobile-ram-standard
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebooks-with-up-to-256-GB-of-upgradeable-RAM-CAMM2-opposes-soldered-RAM.781889.0.html
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »
Rois Ni Thuama PhD is an expert in risk mitigation and head of cyber governance at RedSift.

I’m not claiming that I manifested the glitch in the Air Traffic Control system at the end of the summer because I’m so deeply attuned to the natural and digital world that my worries actualised as a blip on the radar. But I might have done. Fortune, fate or actualisation intervened and, because of that glitch, it wasn’t possible for me to fly. Phew! I say phew because, with only a few working days left to go before needing to travel to a cyber-resilience event, the organisers unilaterally changed the title of the upcoming discussion. That’s without consultation or agreement with the firm sponsoring the panel session. Or, indeed, agreement with all the panellists.
Now, that might seem odd and inconvenient, but hardly the stuff of nightmares. Until you learn that the agreed title was sensible and intelligible, whereas the revised title was none of those things. It was, as one fine wordsmith put it, “a lot of old guff”.
But wait, it gets worse. An email arrived late on Friday afternoon with a “debrief” that contained a very short list of the topics that we would be
expected to cover, including “quantum technologies”. Oh boy!
Aside from the initial internal dialogue – which included such classics as “Quantum what? Huh? What on earth is going on with these
organisers? Is anyone else seeing what I’m seeing?” – I was plagued by another question tumbling around my head: why now? In particular, what recent developments in this complex field merited non-experts discussing it on a stage? More importantly, why would anyone think that people
uninvolved in quantum technologies would have anything even remotely interesting to say about them? Does the audience benefit from a single
panellist pontificating on matters where they can claim no real expertise? Who was looking to benefit from bamboozling or bluffing the busy attendees? How might this be written up and where would it be shared? “The panel discussed quantum technology, with panellists including...”
Oh no, nope, nope, nope.
I didn’t want my name anywhere near this. Not my circus, not my monkey. I raised the issue with the organisers, they raised their voices. It got messy, PDQ. This was more than simply a change to the scheduled programming. Depending on how this was treated, this had all the markers to be a source of significant misinformation – or worse. The glitch in the ATC system worked for me.
But if I thought that this question about the state of quantum would be replaced with some other curiosity, I was wrong. If anything, it reached a
higher pitch still. A week or so later at a rather grand dinner (unconnected to the previous summit), I sat close to a CEO who claimed that his firm had developed a quantum computer. Holy mackerel! Had this guy developed a quantum computer, or did he have a computer he labelled quantum, like Calvin’s Transmogrifier? Things were getting madder by the minute.
Why was the conference circuit suddenly a hotbed for people with no tech background, no qualifications in physics, mathematics, engineering or
for that matter any related field, seemingly perfectly comfortable making quite serious claims about serious technology?
And if you’re at a dinner, what does it mean to say that your company had developed a quantum computer? Had this little-known business with a plucky bunch of exuberant salespeople, in fact, developed a quantum computer that surpassed IBM’s 1,000-qubit Condor? This would be big news!
Huge. I’d have heard it on the PC Pro podcast, for sure.

For the rest of the article, subscribe to PC Pro.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
Task manager with the best latest Threadripper Pro processor. 96 cores.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »
https://www.tomshardware.com/laptops/setting-up-a-new-windows-laptop-or-desktop-change-these-dumb-defaults-right-away

Full disclosure: didn't read the article. I figure my control-freakness regarding my computer is probably sufficient.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
https://www.tomshardware.com/laptops/setting-up-a-new-windows-laptop-or-desktop-change-these-dumb-defaults-right-away

Full disclosure: didn't read the article. I figure my control-freakness regarding my computer is probably sufficient.
Just my opinion here, (And I did read the article): While I definitely agree with some points (Remove Mcafee!!, intstall updates,) Some of these articles go way overboard. "Hurry up and remove the new clean context menus and instead have a super full of junk one just because some people may always need said junk. If youre power user and you are always using some specific thing in this context menu, you would probably already know that there's an option to revert to it, or would do a search on that. It's not a necessary part of setting up windows. For most people, it's nice to have a new, improved cleaner redesign. I don't need half my screen filling up with create new Google sheet dock every time. I open a context menu.
Some other things like lockscreen and startup sound are really up to user preference. If you even know what a file extension is, you probably chose to show them already. Its not like Microsoft hides these things (usually).
And in regards to default browser, hey, some people do use MS Edge. Sorry, world.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #247 on: December 26, 2023, 12:45:24 AM »
If you even know what a file extension is, you probably chose to show them already.

I only turn that on when I'm changing one. When I press End, I want to
be at the end of my chosen filename, not the end of the file extension.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2023, 08:27:26 AM »
PCMag nominates the Intel A580 as the Editor's choice budget graphics card
https://uk.pcmag.com/graphics-cards/150273/asrock-intel-arc-a580-challenger-8gb-oc

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2024, 10:41:58 AM »
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/first-spacex-satellites-launch-for-breakthrough-direct-to-cell-service-with-t-mobile

Cool tech, I wonder how it affects battery life.

Interesting that they didn't list the Chlean and Swiss partners listed on SpaceX's site.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2024, 11:58:54 AM »
1. Get to W11 desktop on a brand-new computer when you don't have internet:
https://www.howtogeek.com/bypass-lets-connect-you-to-a-network-screen/

2. Get to W11 desktop on a brand-new computer with the internet but without signing in with a Microsoft account: sign in with a@B.com and any password and it will let you choose a user account name instead. (Added bonus: no encryption - until you do use a Microsoft account later.)

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2024, 12:50:13 PM »
1. Get to W11 desktop on a brand-new computer when you don't have internet:
https://www.howtogeek.com/bypass-lets-connect-you-to-a-network-screen/

2. Get to W11 desktop on a brand-new computer with the internet but without signing in with a Microsoft account: sign in with a@B.com and any password and it will let you choose a user account name instead. (Added bonus: no encryption - until you do use a Microsoft account later.)
I'll have to try #1. With netfree, it wasn't letting me get to the desktop, continued getting stuck at updates or something... very annoying...

Offline DancyNeals

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2024, 09:19:22 PM »
Just my opinion here, (And I did read the article): While I definitely agree with some points (Remove Mcafee!!, intstall updates,) Some of these articles go way overboard. "Hurry up and remove the new clean context menus and instead have a super full of junk one just because some people may always need said junk. If youre power user and you are always using some specific thing in this context menu, you would probably already know that there's an option to revert to it, or would do a search on that. It's not a necessary part of setting up windows. For most people, it's nice to have a new, improved cleaner redesign. I don't need half my screen filling up with create new Google sheet dock every time. I open a context menu.
Some other things like lockscreen and startup sound are really up to user preference. If you even know what a file extension is, you probably chose to show them already. Its not like Microsoft hides these things (usually).
And in regards to default browser, hey, some people do use MS Edge. Sorry, world.

Yes, I agree that changing some defaults seem to go overboard. I usually don’t mess with Windows Registry. Turning off some of these defaults will be nice-to-know, but not necessarily helpful for most users. Microsoft Edge is a decent browser, but I like Firefox better.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2024, 02:12:13 PM »

Offline DancyNeals

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2024, 09:55:28 PM »
Where one potential new battery tech is holding. Ignore the clickbait title; this is just an update.
https://www.windowscentral.com/hardware/laptops/a-holy-grail-battery-breakthrough-could-charge-your-windows-laptop-or-xbox-controller-in-2-minutes-make-it-last-for-decades

This battery breakthrough sounds amazing, but I wouldn't trust a battery that has the potential to explode. I hope they can find a way to make them safe for everyday use.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2024, 12:20:04 AM »
This battery breakthrough sounds amazing, but I wouldn't trust a battery that has the potential to explode. I hope they can find a way to make them safe for everyday use.
ANY battery has the potential to explode

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2024, 07:47:18 AM »
Why does this, and many of your other posts sound like AI generated?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2024, 09:00:04 AM »
ANY battery has the potential to explode
There's a reason you can't take Lithium-ion batteries with more than 100 WHR on planes.