Author Topic: British Airways Visa Signature(R) Card  (Read 15011 times)

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
British Airways Visa Signature(R) Card
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »
News Release
British Airways and Chase Card Services Announce New Card Benefits for International Travelers
British Airways Visa Signature(R) Card is the First Airline Rewards Card to Eliminate Fees on International Purchases
WILMINGTON, Del. - Nov. 4, 2010 - With the holiday travel season right around the corner, today Chase Card Services, a division of JPMorgan Chase & Co. [NYSE: JPM] and British Airways [LON: BAY], announced a new,  compelling benefit for international travelers. Starting this month, there will be no foreign transaction fees on international purchases using the British Airways Visa Signature® Card from Chase - a one-of-a-kind offering in the co-branded airline card category. The card proposition is managed by Chase in partnership with The Mileage Company, operators of British Airways BA Miles rewards.
"Chase Card Services is continuously looking for new ways to deliver exceptional value to our customers who travel internationally," said Tony Glover, senior vice president, Chase Card Services. "The British Airways Visa Signature Card will ultimately deliver cardmembers three percent savings on every purchase made abroad."
"The British Airways Visa Signature Card was designed to reward individuals who frequently travel internationally," said Andrew Swaffield, managing director of The Mileage Company. "The new proposition, combined with the unprecedented companion redemption voucher program and significant earn-rate for BA Miles, make our program extremely attractive to our target audience.'
As part of today's announcement, Chase is offering 50,000 bonus BA miles - enough for a transatlantic flight - to new cardmembers. The first 25,000 miles will be awarded after the first purchase with the Card, and an additional 25,000 miles will be awarded after $2,500 in spend in the first 3 months.
Other key features of the British Airways Visa Signature Card include:
•   More Ways to Earn BA Miles - The British Airways Visa Signature Card is one of the fastest ways for frequent British Airways passengers to earn miles towards future travel. Cardmembers earn 2.5 BA miles for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases. All other purchases made with the Card, including payments ranging from utility bills to gym memberships, earn 1.25 BA miles for every $1 spent.
•   Redeem for 1, Travel for 2 - Each and every year a cardmember spends $30,000 they will receive a flight redemption voucher, valid for two years. To use the voucher, cardmembers simply redeem BA Miles for travel. The voucher can then be used to bring a companion along with them, who will fly in the same class of service, requiring no additional miles for travel.   
•   More Ways to Redeem BA Miles - With the British Airways Visa Signature Card, cardmembers have the option to redeem their miles for flight upgrades and future travel on British Airways or any one of its 10 oneworld® alliance partners.
The Card is accepted at millions of locations worldwide and has an annual fee of $75.00.  For more information or to apply for the Card, visit www.chase.com/britishairways or www.ba.com.
About JPMorgan Chase & Co.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.1 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.
About British Airways
British Airways is one of the world's largest international airlines.  Operating one of the most extensive international scheduled airline route networks, together with our codeshare and franchise partners, we fly to more than 300 destinations worldwide.  Also, one of the world's longest established airlines, it has always been regarded as an industry-leader.  We fly our customers at convenient times to the best located airports across the world.
British Airways is one of the world's leading global premium airlines. Our principal place of business is London with significant presence at Heathrow, Gatwick and London City. We also operate a worldwide air cargo business, largely in conjunction with our scheduled passenger services.  The airline operates the majority of its domestic UK, international and intercontinental flights from its home at Terminal 5, Heathrow.
Whether customers are in the air or on the ground, British Airways takes pride in providing a full service experience. For more information visit www.ba.com.
About The Mileage Company
The Mileage Company, headquartered in the UK with a US operations branch, works with over 200 brands world-wide to drive customer engagement and loyalty with compelling rewards programs. In-depth expertise provided by The Mileage Company includes research and loyalty analytics, customer relationship management (CRM) and loyalty marketing and accounting skills associated with loyalty schemes enabling clients to focus on their core business while rewarding customer loyalty and in turn driving profit and growth. In the last year, four million people have collected or redeemed miles with one of The Mileage Company's schemes, from the global BA Miles currency to UK-based Airmiles. For more information visit www.themileagecompany.com

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: British Airways Visa Signature(R) Card
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Wow! That's great news!  Is it possible that other airline cc's will follow suit? I'm moving abroad, and I'm now seriously reconsidering cancelling my BA card from the 100k promo...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Whats the great news?
If its true that BA is charging fuel surcharges on AA flights I don't see any use for BA miles.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Whats the great news?
If its true that BA is charging fuel surcharges on AA flights I don't see any use for BA miles.

The great news is about the foreign transaction fee. And that they'll be charging surcharges on AA isn't certain, is it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
The great news is about the foreign transaction fee. And that they'll be charging surcharges on AA isn't certain, is it?
According to Devora it is:
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=3655.msg40055#msg40055

I'm a little surprised that noone else has confirmed it so far with so many folks knee-deep in BA miles.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »
According to Devora it is:
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=3655.msg40055#msg40055

I'm a little surprised that noone else has confirmed it so far with so many folks knee-deep in BA miles.

Well, if we're talking domestic, I tried an award booking through BA online, and JFK-MIA came out to 25k RT (economy) +$5...

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:55:14 PM »
Well, if we're talking domestic, I tried an award booking through BA online, and JFK-MIA came out to 25k RT (economy) +$5...
Same here- I booke a few domestic on AA (using BA) for $5 fee per ticket.
I also booked an itin EZE-MIA-EZE on AA after the new agreement and there were no extra taxes or fees beyond the usual. I booked online.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
Yes, online there are no surcharges.
Devora said that when she tried booking a flight on the phone every time there were $$$ surcharges and that they said the site would be updated soon.

If anyone else wants to call BA to confirm either way that would be great.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Wow! That's great news!  Is it possible that other airline cc's will follow suit? I'm moving abroad, and I'm now seriously reconsidering cancelling my BA card from the 100k promo...
just bear in mind that to make back the $85 annual fee you would need to spend close to $2800/year

Offline pianodude

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, BA, DL, UA, SWA, SPG, IHG, Lifetime Fairmont Plat
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
just bear in mind that to make back the $85 annual fee you would need to spend close to $2800/year

It appears to be a $75 annual fee and a bonus of 50K miles after $2500 spend.  Many of us currently have the BA card from the 100K miles offer last spring.  What does everyone think about cancelling the current card and reapplying for the new card?  How is Chase on churning their cards?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
People here are saying that BA.com is charging fuel surcharges on Iberia and Malev.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/10371/comment-page-1#comment-68151

Anyone know about the rest of their partners?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »
I'd most appreciate it if someone with BA miles in their account would PM me their login info.  If you can change your password for a day and change it back after I'm done that would be awesome!

I'm trying to figure out when exactly they do and don't charge a fuel surcharge for partner travel as of the most recent changes.

Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
Nobody?

From what I'm reading in this FT thread I bet BA has started charging a fuel surcharge for all carriers over the phone and that the website is merely waiting to be updated:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1140883-aa-metal-higher-taxes-when-booking-through-baec-than-aadvantage.html

al613 has said that BA.com now charges for BA, Finnair, Iberia, Malev, and Royal Jordanian.
That thread implies that over the phone you pay for AA and Cathay Pacific now at the least. even though those arent charged online yet...they probably will soon.

BA miles may soon plummet in value.  Burn them now IMHO.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »
Same here- I booked a few domestic on AA (using BA) for $5 fee per ticket.
My domestic flights I booked a few days ago were over the phone- not online -and all they charged was $5 per ticket.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
My domestic flights I booked a few days ago were over the phone- not online -and all they charged was $5 per ticket.
Bizzaro!
So they charge for phone bookings of AA flights between the US and Canada, South America, and Europe, but not for domestic yet.
Go figure...

Offline exfallsburg

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
In an online booking for JFK-YUL the price was 25k + $51.61

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »
In an online booking for JFK-YUL the price was 25k + $51.61
Online I don't think they ever charge for AA.
If you have the time you can check what BA wants over the phone for that price.  It's likely that their site will be updated with the phone price soon enough,

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
Online I don't think they ever charge for AA.
If you have the time you can check what BA wants over the phone for that price.  It's likely that their site will be updated with the phone price soon enough,

The noose is slowly tightening. On second thought, maybe not so slowly....
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
do you still want logon info?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
do you still want logon info?
Nope, I'm good now, thanks!
And thanks to my benefactor...not sure he wants to be outed though ;)