Topic Wiki

How to get someone at eBay (as a seller) who can actually help you:

Message them on Facebook (sounds weird buy I've done it and it works)

DM them on Twitter. (I've never done it but heard stories of success)

eBay Fee Calculators:

FinalFeeCalc

Author Topic: eBay: Master Thread  (Read 399735 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: eBay: Master Thread
« Reply #2460 on: December 05, 2019, 11:54:17 PM »
I agree with you 100% that it's the way to go. It's just that this buyer started complaining before they even purchased the item...

I don't think they will agree to a resolution with me. I gave them an extra $5 though.
So the buyer now claims that the item is defective. While it may perfectly be the case I have reason from all my transactions with him to be skeptical.

If the item is returned and I see no defect, can I dispute it? ( An eBay rep just told me that not )

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 07, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
So the buyer now claims that the item is defective. While it may perfectly be the case I have reason from all my transactions with him to be skeptical.

If the item is returned and I see no defect, can I dispute it? ( An eBay rep just told me that not )
No, but you can report him for a fake claim once he returns it, will help future sellers. My listings are very clear, so I tend to block buyers who ask too many questions, because they are usually customers you can't satisfy no matter what. If the buyer creates a new account to circumvent the block, and you can prove it (for example new account was created shortly after block and shipping to same city), you can then cancel their order and/or remove any negative feedback they leave.

You got screwed and it happens. Here's one I had last week if it makes you feel better. Guy in Peru ordered a brand new, manufacturer sealed $400 speaker. He put some dirt on it and claimed it arrived like that. I realized I got scammed the second I saw it was a new account with feedback from cheap purchases from Chinese sellers. Nevertheless I accepted the return and told him I can't send him a label so he should send via the cheapest option and I'll refund him. The guy knew his stuff so he tells me that DHL charges $600 hoping that I'd tell him to keep the item. I then went on the local postal website and got an estimate for $170. He complained it would take too long. I called eBay and they agreed to move forward with the return if I attached the estimate and sent him the $170. I sent him via PayPal goods and services so I could cancel because I knew that he wouldn't ship it back. He still managed to complain to eBay and they refunded him at no cost to me and closed the case in my favor. I then fought the $170 charge with PayPal and won the case. I'm upset eBay gave in though.

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:57 PM »
they do have an option to report buyer for misuse of the return policy but i think its only available to top rated sellers.

in general i find eBay to be very frustrating when it comes to scammers they usually give in to them automatically and even though i can appeal or fight afterwards its a whole process to it and then when my invoice arrives i have to make sure they took care of fees which most of the time they don't 

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 07, 2019, 08:53:13 PM »
they do have an option to report buyer for misuse of the return policy but i think its only available to top rated sellers.

in general i find eBay to be very frustrating when it comes to scammers they usually give in to them automatically and even though i can appeal or fight afterwards its a whole process to it and then when my invoice arrives i have to make sure they took care of fees which most of the time they don't
As long as you do everything right you're protected, unlike Amazon. For example in my most recent case it's a risk I was willing to take by offering international shipping, but you don't have to.
Why would you want fees refunded if you win a case and didn't refund the order?
Also, how many cases are you dealing with? I have a large volume of sales via eBay and very few cases, most being INR with tracking and these always close in seller's favor as long as there is signature over $750.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 08, 2019, 01:14:22 AM »
As long as you do everything right you're protected, unlike Amazon. For example in my most recent case it's a risk I was willing to take by offering international shipping, but you don't have to.
Why would you want fees refunded if you win a case and didn't refund the order?
Also, how many cases are you dealing with? I have a large volume of sales via eBay and very few cases, most being INR with tracking and these always close in seller's favor as long as there is signature over $750.

in terms of refund for fees i meant to say if i was forced to take a return i still have to be on top of eBay to make sure they refund me the fees from when it sold
I think cases depend a lot on item your selling and in my case its phones mostly new expensive ones which have all the scammers after them unfortunately. I have people sending me back garbage instead of phones or hacking into people accounts buying them and then the money is held till its sorted it out ... im not saying the end result isn't in my favor... it is 99% of the time its just that i have to work for it as opposed to the buyer who just selects "item not as described" and thats it.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2465 on: December 13, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
What does this mean?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Pad18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 13, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
What does this mean?

are you new on selling on eBay/paypal ? or perhaps that's a more larger amount that you usually sell ?

in both case, ship the item, add on eBay the tracking, and you should be fine.

Offline CHEAPAVEDA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 13, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
I just has an incident with ebay and a seller.  I was selling a brand new sealed item -- the seller received it along with the receipt.  He used the item - claimed there is a defect - and ebay took his side and issued him a return label to send back to me..

I was force to refund the money and end up with an opened / used item.....

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 14, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
I just has an incident with ebay and a seller.  I was selling a brand new sealed item -- the seller received it along with the receipt.  He used the item - claimed there is a defect - and ebay took his side and issued him a return label to send back to me..

I was force to refund the money and end up with an opened / used item.....

Try a paypal dispute

Online Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #2469 on: December 14, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
I made a purchase in April and now I'm trying to get the receipt or invoice for the purchase. But every time I go to my bought items. The box is grayed out. How can I get a invoice and know the pavement method for that order?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 15, 2019, 08:07:33 PM »
I made a purchase in April and now I'm trying to get the receipt or invoice for the purchase. But every time I go to my bought items. The box is grayed out. How can I get a invoice and know the pavement method for that order?
It's not in your email order confirmation?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 17, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
No, but you can report him for a fake claim once he returns it, will help future sellers. My listings are very clear, so I tend to block buyers who ask too many questions, because they are usually customers you can't satisfy no matter what. If the buyer creates a new account to circumvent the block, and you can prove it (for example new account was created shortly after block and shipping to same city), you can then cancel their order and/or remove any negative feedback they leave.

You got screwed and it happens. Here's one I had last week if it makes you feel better. Guy in Peru ordered a brand new, manufacturer sealed $400 speaker. He put some dirt on it and claimed it arrived like that. I realized I got scammed the second I saw it was a new account with feedback from cheap purchases from Chinese sellers. Nevertheless I accepted the return and told him I can't send him a label so he should send via the cheapest option and I'll refund him. The guy knew his stuff so he tells me that DHL charges $600 hoping that I'd tell him to keep the item. I then went on the local postal website and got an estimate for $170. He complained it would take too long. I called eBay and they agreed to move forward with the return if I attached the estimate and sent him the $170. I sent him via PayPal goods and services so I could cancel because I knew that he wouldn't ship it back. He still managed to complain to eBay and they refunded him at no cost to me and closed the case in my favor. I then fought the $170 charge with PayPal and won the case. I'm upset eBay gave in though.
So I requested that they send me the description of the damage and they just cancelled the return...

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: February 01, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »
When opening a case with ebay. If I (the buyer) win the case, does ebay compensate for the sale, or do they process a refund and the seller looses the sale?

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 02, 2020, 05:42:18 AM »
When opening a case with ebay. If I (the buyer) win the case, does ebay compensate for the sale, or do they process a refund and the seller looses the sale?
The seller usually pays. In some cases eBay can decide to refund the buyer without any impact to the seller.

Offline yudamaan

• View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 02, 2020, 12:11:36 PM »
The seller usually pays. In some cases eBay can decide to refund the buyer without any impact to the seller.
I filed a claim and ebay closed it in my favor, however the item was returned to sender.
What am I supposed to do with the item now?

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: February 02, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
I filed a claim and ebay closed it in my favor, however the item was returned to sender.
What am I supposed to do with the item now?
You're the buyer and item was returned to the sender, what should you do with the item? I'm confused. Are you talking about an item you returned?

Offline yudamaan

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: February 02, 2020, 01:46:57 PM »
You're the buyer and item was returned to the sender, what should you do with the item? I'm confused. Are you talking about an item you returned?
I am the buyer, and returned the item to the seller, however either the seller refused the item, or it's a wrong address. But either way the item was returned to me, and the seller is not responding.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: February 02, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
I am the buyer, and returned the item to the seller, however either the seller refused the item, or it's a wrong address. But either way the item was returned to me, and the seller is not responding.
I don’t know the value, how much the seller lost, if it can be resold once returned etc, but technically it’s yours. Now if you want to go the extra mile for whatever reason you can just keep it aside for a little while. If the seller wants it back they’ll contact you.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2478 on: February 18, 2020, 01:17:40 PM »
Is there a way to restrict my listings from being sold to people that live in Puerto Rico and Alaska?

I don't mind selling my item globally as I send it to a a shipping center ran by eBay in Kentucky which is totally fine, but shipping it to Puerto Rico and Alaska is like shipping it across the sea.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: February 18, 2020, 01:29:16 PM »
Is there a way to restrict my listings from being sold to people that live in Puerto Rico and Alaska?

I don't mind selling my item globally as I send it to a a shipping center ran by eBay in Kentucky which is totally fine, but shipping it to Puerto Rico and Alaska is like shipping it across the sea.
I ship USPS to HI & AK but not to PR. Flat rate priority mail is the same price, and you have the option to add a surcharge as well, which is what I do for regular priority mail. FedEx and UPS can get pricey.
I don’t know what type of account you have, but you should be able to exclude either in business policies or on the listing.