Topic Wiki

Before you post, here are some quick notes about the ring (Updated August 2019), that have been discussed in this forum:

- More important that anything else - AYLOR before you buy as YMMV
- There are two types of Ring Doorbells - those that are battery powered (Doorbell/Doorbell 2/View Cam), and those that are hardwired (Pro/Pro Elite)
- Disabling the Wifi works to prevent recordings, and disabling motion zones won't alert you, but most people still think that ring will still be triggered on by motion
- There are many tools with modern Wi-fi routers - Circle, Google Wi-fi, etc that enable you to cut off your rings Wi-Fi on a schedule or manually
- If you have a hard-wired Ring, you can add a switch to the circuit to completely turn it off before Shabbos
- Some people have a manual switch, others have added a programmable relay.
- Other people cover the doorbell

« Last edited by Yonah on August 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Author Topic: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos  (Read 72402 times)

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2023, 09:26:23 PM »
Just my experience: I have a Netgear router that is compatible with the "Circle" app. I made a profile on Circle just for that specific wifi device, and I disable the wifi on the Ring every Friday using the Circle app. That way the camera is not saving any recording and it's a Psik Reisha d'lo nicha lei (at worst).
it’s a psik reisha dlo nicha even if it is recording

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2023, 10:05:26 PM »
it’s a psik reisha dlo nicha even if it is recording
If it's lo nicha, why have it in the first place?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2023, 10:19:42 PM »
If it's lo nicha, why have it in the first place?
Is lo nicha for jews a thing?

ETA: It can also be lo nicha on Shabbos because you're not getting packages, visitors that are ringing the bell, etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2023, 10:27:45 PM »
Is lo nicha for jews a thing?

ETA: It can also be lo nicha on Shabbos because you're not getting packages, visitors that are ringing the bell, etc.
I like seeing who is causing the motion to trigger during the week. We're saying it's lo nicha because its Shabbos so therefore I don't want it?

So let that same logic apply to the light in a fridge.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2023, 11:00:13 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a video doorbell. I have a wired connection but need a new transformer anyway. Instead of hard wiring it to the breaker box I'm thinking of maybe getting one that plugs in. This way I could plug it in to the outlet next to the breaker box using a smart plug which I could have go off at sunset every Fri and then go back on Sat night 1 hour after sunset. Would this work? Or do most video doorbells have a battery backup? I guess I'm basically looking for one that would be hardwired and specifically NOT have a battery backup. Any one ever do this?

This is the transformer I'm referring to that plugs in:
https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Compatible-Doorbell-Thermostats-Certified/dp/B083R621RV/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=20MNWRAZUTM9C&keywords=doorbell%2Btransformer&qid=1694714645&sprefix=doorbell%2Btrans%2Caps%2C651&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1
I believe what your looking for is the Melacha Plug discussed a bit here.

I don't know about all but definitely lots of them would work only off power. I've seen the reolink one mentioned as the best bang for the buck (it comes with the adapter in the box and records to an SD card!).

Currently on sale for $72.89 (code: H35IYZ3QSHLA)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7S3JSG7/
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Bored Bachur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2023, 12:15:48 AM »
Looking for the correct thread, this seems closest to "wifi doorbell master thread". otherwise can someone point me to the correct thread?

looking to install a wireless doorbell, main point is to get notification/communication if someone rings while I'm not home. (not particularly concerned with motion detecting/video storage)

trying to compare models: Ring vs. Blink? (blink is cheaper)? are there others that compete? Wyze?
seems all can be wired into the existing doorbell system. are any able to run off that? or all need additional battery/power? which ones can be plugged in to normal plug (or other steady power supply)?
Do all need a subscription? or can any run basic notification without additional monthly fees?

on another note, aside from wiring into the existing 'chime', are any able to be wired into the existing 'unlock' wiring of an old-style intercom bell? or is that a whole separate system?
would this thread work, seems the closest to what your looking for. https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=93100.0

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2023, 12:19:01 AM »
would this thread work, seems the closest to what your looking for. https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=93100.0
Thanks. gonna move convo over to there