Author Topic: Getting Windows 7 on Your Computer using OEM Liscensing  (Read 1894 times)

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Getting Windows 7 on Your Computer using OEM Liscensing
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:50:23 AM »
If you have a computer that is relatively new, yet it came with Vista, it is very likely that you are able to install Windows 7 on your computer and use the manufacturers OEM product key and everything will activate perfectly fine.  However, you may have to update your BIOS in order for the OEM key to work.

If you are someone tech savvy and are interested in learning how to do this, I have found an amazing link which I have found to be absolutely priceless and unbelievably informative.

Here you go enjoy: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7126-The-Official-Windows-7-Repository

If anyone has any specific questions you can post here and I can try to answer them however, I dont think that I could do justice here to the amount of information that you will get from the link above so therefore I see no point to bother.  However I hope that sharing this here can definitely help people learn how to get Windows 7 on their machines.

Hope this helps!!

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Windows 7 on Your Computer using OEM Liscensing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »
legal?

Offline HSS

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:18:29 AM »
legal?

All of this is for educational purposes obviously ;), but Microsoft makes the ability to install with OEM key so that each manufacturer doesnt have to obtain thousands of keys for all of the computers they sell.  So legally I dont think there is any problem doing the same thing that the manufacturers do, and there is definitely know way for Microsoft to catch you because the key that you used is 100% legal and is used on all of the other computers that were sold by that manufacturer.  So if Microsoft were to try to say that your version is illegal so would all of the other computers of that brand out there.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:38 AM »
All of this is for educational purposes obviously ;), but Microsoft makes the ability to install with OEM key so that each manufacturer doesnt have to obtain thousands of keys for all of the computers they sell.  So legally I dont think there is any problem doing the same thing that the manufacturers do, and there is definitely know way for Microsoft to catch you because the key that you used is 100% legal and is used on all of the other computers that were sold by that manufacturer.  So if Microsoft were to try to say that your version is illegal so would all of the other computers of that brand out there.
Using a legal key illegally, is still illegal, even if it does pass WGA.
Dell claims that they have to give MS money for each copy of they're OEM they sell. I don't know whether or not this is true, but it makes sense.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline HSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:57 AM »
Using a legal key illegally, is still illegal, even if it does pass WGA.

True, you are probably correct.  But speeding is also technically illegal, yet everyone does it assuming they wont get caught, so I think of this the same way.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
True, you are probably correct.  But speeding is also technically illegal, yet everyone does it assuming they wont get caught, so I think of this the same way.
Or you can think of it as evidence at your trial
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline HSS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »
Or you can think of it as evidence at your trial

I think I'll take my chances that Microsoft has bigger fish to fry ;)

Offline HSS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »
Chaikel,

Don't get me wrong not everyone is comfortable with this doing this and I fully understand and respect that.  In no way was I trying to convice people that they should be comfortable with it if they are not.  However, I posted this for those who do not care, just don't know how to do it the "right" way, and I wanted to pass this information along because doing it this way will prevent them from having major computer problems later if they were to use just a regular cracked version of windows which Microsoft would later mark the key as illegal and then there PC will fail genuine validation.  Following the steps in outlined in the Windows 7 Repository will just assure that you never have any issues later with your Windows installation, because the keys used are 100% legal.

HSS