Author Topic: Lawyer recommendation / legal advice  (Read 1332 times)

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Lawyer recommendation / legal advice
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
I came across an article that stated that US civil law requires that certain expectations of reliability be met by a product simply by virtue of the fact that the consumer is paying for it (the article was advising against buying extended warrantees for electronics saying that in fact the protection of the law is really usually good enough). I knew this law existed elsewhere but didn't know it was here too, so I found it interesting.

Incidentally I'm having an issue with a fairly expensive product that has failed miserably to meet expectations and the manufacturer of the product is being extremely uncooperative.
(Read: very expensive sheitel balding within a year and the manufavturer now wants an exorbitant amount to repair what seems to be a consistently faulty product - have heard quite a number of complaints)

I'd like to clarify what my legal rights are and then discuss it with a Beis Din (not sure whether they'd take the secular law into account).

Anyone have a recommendation of a NY lawyer that would be competent with the relevant laws and wouldn't be to expensive to consult?

Offline notanonymous

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyer recommendation / legal advice
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »
I came across an article that stated that US civil law requires that certain expectations of reliability be met by a product simply by virtue of the fact that the consumer is paying for it (the article was advising against buying extended warrantees for electronics saying that in fact the protection of the law is really usually good enough). I knew this law existed elsewhere but didn't know it was here too, so I found it interesting.

Incidentally I'm having an issue with a fairly expensive product that has failed miserably to meet expectations and the manufacturer of the product is being extremely uncooperative.
(Read: very expensive sheitel balding within a year and the manufavturer now wants an exorbitant amount to repair what seems to be a consistently faulty product - have heard quite a number of complaints)

I'd like to clarify what my legal rights are and then discuss it with a Beis Din (not sure whether they'd take the secular law into account).

Anyone have a recommendation of a NY lawyer that would be competent with the relevant laws and wouldn't be to expensive to consult?
Sorry to not answer your question...Just to clarify, this was not a cc purchase?  No protection there?

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
I'm a big fan of this...let's clean up that mafia

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:37:11 AM »
Wasn't this an episode of Judge Judy?

Offline YG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »

Sorry to not answer your question...Just to clarify, this was not a cc purchase?  No protection there?
Wasn't a CC (I wasn't so involved in the cheshboinos back then ;-) and also it was purchased through a third party (sheitel macher) not directly from the manufacturer, so would just hurt the sheitel macher and that wouldn't be so fair.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
Lawyer recommendation / legal advice
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:09:10 AM »
Wasn't this an episode of Judge Judy?

Some other woman.