Author Topic: A Jewishily-Smart Plug | What Features Would You Like?  (Read 239 times)

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 38
    • View Profile
  • Programs: @myi so list them as Dan does!
A Jewishily-Smart Plug | What Features Would You Like?
« on: Yesterday at 10:14:24 PM »
If you had a smart plug that knew (reliably without needing internet access) all the Zmanim and which days are Shabbos and Yom Tov, what would you use it for?

An example:
Have it set to automatically shut off a smart doorbell (or Google home, Amazon Alexa etc.), whenever it's Shabbos or Yom Tov.

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 460
    • View Profile
Re: A Jewishily-Smart Plug | What Features Would You Like?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:30:31 PM »
If you had a smart plug that knew (reliably without needing internet access) all the Zmanim and which days are Shabbos and Yom Tov, what would you use it for?

An example:
Have it set to automatically shut off a smart doorbell (or Google home, Amazon Alexa etc.), whenever it's Shabbos or Yom Tov.
Your example is for a device already connected to the internet though... You can set a specific google calendarís events that match a search as a trigger for example. Iím a big fan of Alexa routines but it Yom Tov days need to be added manually.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:46:22 PM »
Your example is for a device already connected to the internet though... You can set a specific google calendarís events that match a search as a trigger for example. Iím a big fan of Alexa routines but it Yom Tov days need to be added manually.
I'm not sure what you mean. The thing being plugged in to the smart plug, having WiFi capabilities is unrated to a smart plug that can have Zmanim on board. You can't turn off a ring doorbell or a Google home mini with a Google calendar event..

The issue with your solution in addition to as you mentioned the Yom Tov problem, is if your internet shuts down, then what happens?

The possibilities are endless, if you can make schedules that differ on Shabbos / Yom Tov, or even if you wanted to disable the button on the plug from working on Shabbos, say you can do it all, what practical use can you think of?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:05:52 PM by Yo ssi »

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:10 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. The thing being plugged in to the smart plug, having WiFi capabilities is unrated to a smart plug that can have Zmanim on board. You can't turn off a ring doorbell or a Google home mini with a Google calendar event..

The issue with your solution in addition to as you mentioned the Yom Tov problem, is if your internet shuts down, then what happens?

The possibilities are endless, if you can make schedules that differ on Shabbos / Yom Tov, or even if you wanted to disable the button on the plug from working on Shabbos, say you can do it all, what practical use can you think of?
My point was that you could trigger a wemo switch for example based on calendar events via IFTTT.
That being said, you could use that for any device that needs to perform a single action before/after shabbos. IF you have reliable routers and the internet happens to go down on the providerís end at that specific time (pretty slim chances Iíd think), then you can go press the button manually the one time every two years that it doesnít work a half hour before shabbos.
Now that leaves us with devices that need to be turned on and off throughout shabbos - canít think of any - and Yom Tov - maybe a hot plate.
Iíll take my specific case. I have everything connected and on schedule: lock, security, lights (including side lamps with shabulbs, videoconference lighting - that one voice controlled), thermostat, curtains and various sensors. What kind of device on a plug would I need to go on and off throughout shabbos?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:20:24 AM »

What about light switches that are unresponsive on Shabbos and YomTov?

Not sure it really makes a difference if thereís a microcomputer that evaluates whether itís Shabbos and YomTov and decides to ignore the flipped switch, but maybe if it was an independent component that cut the circuit then flipping an old-school light switch on an already broken circuit wouldnít be doing anything.

Kinda like a high-tech overengineered light-switch cover.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:08:54 AM »
@mileagejunkie
Say one has a sensor out front that automatically turns on a light, and the motion sensor can be turned on or off with a switch, I personally wouldn't rely on anything cloud based, and while I understand some might be, I think you can understand there's a place for something more reliable then that.

Now regarding your question, say you had a lamp on a plug, or really any smart switch / relay is identical to a plug, and instead of every Shabbos and Yom tov having to schedule your lights for the meal you can set it up that every Yom tov the lights stay on at night and for the meal during the day, or specifically on the first night of pesach I want it on till 2am etc..

What about light switches that are unresponsive on Shabbos and YomTov?
Definitely that can be easily implemented on a plug or light switch (considering you have the correct one..)

It would have to be thought out, on a smart plug I would make it the button doesn't do anything, while on a light you may want to override it by say clicking it 3x rapidly, since it's not like a plug which can be removed from the wall easily.