Cool thing they also have there is an extensive list of filtering options:
https://filters.pluckeye.net/

Filters for PC:
Call TAG 718-225-5824 (718-Call-TAG)
www.usanativ.com           8-12/mo 95-140/yr per 2 devices     
www.techloq.com (Windows)            9.49/mo 99.49/yr per device
www.NetFree.link (Windows)            free
www.netsafepro.com           10-12/mo per device 9-10/mo additional
www.netsparkmobile.com/ (Android and Windows)            9.50/mo 89/yr per device
www.covenanteyes.com/services/internet-filtering / http://webchaver.org/filtering.php           15.99/mo unlimited devices scree captures
www.netnanny.com (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)           40/yr 55/yr per device
https://truple.io (Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook [iOS coming soon]) - randomly captures and shares screenshots with accountability partner.                                    5-16/mo 50-160/yr (ranging from 1-unlimited devices)

http://www.livigent.com
==built on Livigent==
www.meshimer.com                      8-15/mo per device
www.geder.org
www.gentechsolution.com                   39/qtr per device

More info see https://venishmartem.com/

Israel
https://www.tagisrael.org/
http://www.etrog.net.il/
http://www.enativ.com/
http://netfree.link/
http://www.rimon.net.il/
http://shomer.shoresh.org.il/

For Windows Phone
www.safekiddo.com/en_us/

For Android
https://truple.io/androidfilter.html (Free android filter)

For iPhone/iPad/iOs
Check out their quite easy and powerful content restrictions.
Suggestion: Have someone else have the password (or half and half with a spouse) and do the following:
Lock installing apps + remove browser + add apps you need (possible rules: no games, no sports, no entertainment, etc.).
[Occasionally an app will have a built in browser/or need to access a certain website - just go back in to settings (with password) and add that website].
There is time restrictions and more features too.
(May not be enough for teenagers - consult your own advisers - this solution sure beats doing nothing and there is no excuse)

DNS
https://www.opendns.com/ (can be used in routers or directly in PC) - Free
https://cleanbrowsing.org

Pricing info may not be accurate and is only on full filters (not email only), feel free to correct, and does not include installation costs. I am working on a comprehensive comparison list
here it is
« Last edited by jose34 on March 17, 2024, 12:08:52 AM »

Author Topic: Internet Filters  (Read 641972 times)

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Filters
« Reply #1460 on: February 15, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
You can root the device uninstall all apps that you don't won't including play store package installer...

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: February 15, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
You can root the device uninstall all apps that you don't won't including play store package installer...
Yep, definitely the most simple and straight forward way. But doesn't help for factory reset, its a big hassle to update apps, and more will still be needed to plug up the apps that have back door internet access.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 15, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
There isn't one link that I know of, since I combined a few techniques that I learnt to totally kasher an android phone. What specifically are you looking for?
Waze, email, mapmywalk, some banking apps. If it Doesn't make it much more difficult, whitelist of some site.

How long of a process is it to do a factory reset?

Does the apps above have backdoor access?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline cubicles

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 15, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
you need to edit the host file

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 15, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Waze, email, mapmywalk, some banking apps. If it Doesn't make it much more difficult, whitelist of some site.

How long of a process is it to do a factory reset?

Does the apps above have backdoor access?
I compiled a list of thousands of apps, if they have backdoor access to internet, and how/if that can be stopped. I am thinking of making a business out of it, so I don't really want to share the list, and definitely not publicly. But I have no problem helping a fellow Jew out. As to your questions - factory reset itself doesn't take long, but it wipes all data on phone. Waze - has some known loopholes, which can be blocked if you have rooted phone. Email app- depends on what model your phone is, the stock email app varies by phone model, and some are good and some aren't. Mapmywalk- I'll have to check out our, as I didn't test it yet. Banking- also varies by bank. Capitalone is one that is OK, and other banks- some do and some don't. Hope this helps, feel free to ask more.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
So one can wipe the phone within a few min and thereby disable all limitations put on the device? Is there any way to stop/limit that?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline cubicles

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 15, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
So one can wipe the phone within a few min and thereby disable all limitations put on the device? Is there any way to stop/limit that?
if you delete files with root a hard reset would not bring it back.

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 15, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »
if you delete files with root a hard reset would not bring it back.
That's partially true. It depends how you delete it. But if the OS ever get's updated, it will reinstall all system apps. So you must delete the OTA updater also.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 19, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »
I'm sure this is discussed a million times. - apologies.

For I phones, is the stock parental filter good?
Does it filter out effectively bad sites?
Does it have a blacklist option? Does it filter a chrome browser?
What versions of iPhone have this capability built in?

Thanks

Offline cubicles

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 19, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
I'm sure this is discussed a million times. - apologies.

For I phones, is the stock parental filter good? yes
Does it filter out effectively bad sites? 85%
Does it have a blacklist option? Does it filter a chrome browser? yes, yes
What versions of iPhone have this capability built in? from 8

Thanks

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »

Offline kracked dude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 19, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
Huh?

He answered you in the quote

Ok thanks Cubes!

85%? what does that mean, 85% of bad sites, or that it allows sites that are kinda 15% objectionable but 85% OK?

Also, does tag recommend this as a filter?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:42:26 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline cubicles

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 20, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »
Ok thanks Cubes!

85%? what does that mean, 85% of bad sites, or that it allows sites that are kinda 15% objectionable but 85% OK?

Also, does tag recommend this as a filter?
Meaning to say that Amazon next day shipping for example could be blocked and many sites that should be blocked are open.

Tag does recommend apple restrictions as a free filter .
And Livigent $99 annually which is a better and safer filter

Offline GAM Z.

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 21, 2016, 02:03:17 AM »
Whats the best option for filtering a iPad from mature content? I noticed upthread that someone recommended mobicip.com, is that any good?

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 21, 2016, 02:23:48 AM »
I just want to make my comments and observations. Maybe cubicles can chime in.

I have been using different filters with each of my last few phones. First I used k9 but now they don't work on Android for anything 4.0 and above. I tried net nanny but you have to use their browser which isn't so ideal and it crashes sometimes. I now use livigent, installed by TAG.
My take on things is that smartphones are a major danger to any frum yid (not to the exclusion of all others). It is therefore necessary even at a price, to protect yourself from that, if you have a need for a smartphone.
Sad truth is: There are no good filters.
I chose Livigent over many other free and paid-for options because rather than blocking certain apps and allowing certain apps, it supposedly filters the content without blocking any app. And that's what I needed, to use chrome browser and other apps in a safe way.

I feel that I'm being charged for 2 things. 1. The work and research combing through different sites and keywords to block etc.
2. The constant phone customer service.

Unfortunately, it seems to be totally based on a white list rather than filtering content so in the first few days I noticed a few apps just crashing when being launched so after a few days I figured it must be the filter so I called them up and they unblocked the ones I mentioned.
I'll try keep it short now.

Pros: you can technically use all the apps that you were using until now and be protected.
If you have issues with them blocking things that you need they are available from 4am-12am out something like that.

Cons: They block many websites that are a. clean b. Jewish.
Almost half the times I called and they told me that I unblocked the app, I actually found out in the next phone call that it hasn't been unblocked.
They have an in site form to unblock a blocked website but they don't read those requests.
I've had phone reps be very abrupt with me, even telling me to call tomorrow when I started asking them about a second app that their filter had mistakenly blocked.
VPN. Everything goes through a VPN so besides the fact that you have no way of knowing which apps are using his much internet especially when your trying to find out which so just used up 500mb of your limited data, and besides the fact that it shows down your speeds, it also does sometimes. Randomly, it could be daily or once in a week or 2, the internet will just stop working for around 20 minutes or longer. You better hope your not about to set out on a trip relying on Waze or Google the phone number for the store that's about to close and you want to call them to ask them to hold the door for you because you just drove an hour to get to them.

I may have missed a few and I might add them with time but in short, I don't feel that I'm getting the customer service that I'm paying for, both over the phone and in responding to in site forms. And I don't feel that the content is being filtered. If it's a site that wasn't put in the system as clean, it will just get blocked. (As is the case with most results from Google searches when you're trying to figure out how to do something.)

On the good side, I'm happy that I have it and I would recommend it because, vegetarian bacon and cheese isn't great but the alternative just isn't an option!

Offline Venilla

• View Profile
  • Programs: Mothering
« Reply #1476 on: February 21, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »

On the good side, I'm happy that I have it and I would recommend it because, vegetarian bacon and cheese isn't great but the alternative just isn't an option!
I love this line! It's a Kiddush Hashem!

I use Meshimer (I think it's 12.99 per month =155), I've never had an issue with CS. I've also noticed some apps that didn't work (I.e. Enterprise) but they took care of it the minute I called them about it.

And about the requests to open a website, they respond within an hour (during business hours).

I feel it's like you get what you pay for. Not that hundred dollars a years is cheap but for me it's worth it the extra fifty dollars.
I like vanilla but my name is Venilla.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 21, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
I just want to make my comments and observations. Maybe cubicles can chime in.

I have been using different filters with each of my last few phones. First I used k9 but now they don't work on Android for anything 4.0 and above. I tried net nanny but you have to use their browser which isn't so ideal and it crashes sometimes. I now use livigent, installed by TAG.
My take on things is that smartphones are a major danger to any frum yid (not to the exclusion of all others). It is therefore necessary even at a price, to protect yourself from that, if you have a need for a smartphone.
Sad truth is: There are no good filters.
I chose Livigent over many other free and paid-for options because rather than blocking certain apps and allowing certain apps, it supposedly filters the content without blocking any app. And that's what I needed, to use chrome browser and other apps in a safe way.

I feel that I'm being charged for 2 things. 1. The work and research combing through different sites and keywords to block etc.
2. The constant phone customer service.

Unfortunately, it seems to be totally based on a white list rather than filtering content so in the first few days I noticed a few apps just crashing when being launched so after a few days I figured it must be the filter so I called them up and they unblocked the ones I mentioned.
I'll try keep it short now.

Pros: you can technically use all the apps that you were using until now and be protected.
If you have issues with them blocking things that you need they are available from 4am-12am out something like that.

Cons: They block many websites that are a. clean b. Jewish.
Almost half the times I called and they told me that I unblocked the app, I actually found out in the next phone call that it hasn't been unblocked.
They have an in site form to unblock a blocked website but they don't read those requests.
I've had phone reps be very abrupt with me, even telling me to call tomorrow when I started asking them about a second app that their filter had mistakenly blocked.
VPN. Everything goes through a VPN so besides the fact that you have no way of knowing which apps are using his much internet especially when your trying to find out which so just used up 500mb of your limited data, and besides the fact that it shows down your speeds, it also does sometimes. Randomly, it could be daily or once in a week or 2, the internet will just stop working for around 20 minutes or longer. You better hope your not about to set out on a trip relying on Waze or Google the phone number for the store that's about to close and you want to call them to ask them to hold the door for you because you just drove an hour to get to them.

I may have missed a few and I might add them with time but in short, I don't feel that I'm getting the customer service that I'm paying for, both over the phone and in responding to in site forms. And I don't feel that the content is being filtered. If it's a site that wasn't put in the system as clean, it will just get blocked. (As is the case with most results from Google searches when you're trying to figure out how to do something.)

It sounds like an iPhone is better than an Android running livinget. No?

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #1478 on: February 21, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
It sounds like an iPhone is better than an Android running livinget. No?
Absolutely.

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 21, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
I love this line! It's a Kiddush Hashem!

I use Meshimer (I think it's 12.99 per month =155), I've never had an issue with CS. I've also noticed some apps that didn't work (I.e. Enterprise) but they took care of it the minute I called them about it.

And about the requests to open a website, they respond within an hour (during business hours).

I feel it's like you get what you pay for. Not that hundred dollars a years is cheap but for me it's worth it the extra fifty dollars.
The reason inmo is because meshimer started off as a business therefore you get  business services. TAG on there other hand started off as a organization they realized they can't do it for free so they had to start charging. But sadly they are still giving organization service.

Just have a small question is there a way to set a time limit to interest ney on a tablet without paying?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!