Cool thing they also have there is an extensive list of filtering options:
https://filters.pluckeye.net/

Filters for PC:
Call TAG 718-225-5824 (718-Call-TAG)
www.usanativ.com           8-12/mo 95-140/yr per 2 devices     
www.techloq.com (Windows)            9.49/mo 99.49/yr per device
www.NetFree.link (Windows)            free
www.netsafepro.com           10-12/mo per device 9-10/mo additional
www.netsparkmobile.com/ (Android and Windows)            9.50/mo 89/yr per device
www.covenanteyes.com/services/internet-filtering / http://webchaver.org/filtering.php           15.99/mo unlimited devices scree captures
www.netnanny.com (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)           40/yr 55/yr per device
https://truple.io (Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook [iOS coming soon]) - randomly captures and shares screenshots with accountability partner.                                    5-16/mo 50-160/yr (ranging from 1-unlimited devices)

http://www.livigent.com
==built on Livigent==
www.meshimer.com                      8-15/mo per device
www.geder.org
www.gentechsolution.com                   39/qtr per device

More info see https://venishmartem.com/

Israel
https://www.tagisrael.org/
http://www.etrog.net.il/
http://www.enativ.com/
http://netfree.link/
http://www.rimon.net.il/
http://shomer.shoresh.org.il/

For Windows Phone
www.safekiddo.com/en_us/

For Android
https://truple.io/androidfilter.html (Free android filter)

For iPhone/iPad/iOs
Check out their quite easy and powerful content restrictions.
Suggestion: Have someone else have the password (or half and half with a spouse) and do the following:
Lock installing apps + remove browser + add apps you need (possible rules: no games, no sports, no entertainment, etc.).
[Occasionally an app will have a built in browser/or need to access a certain website - just go back in to settings (with password) and add that website].
There is time restrictions and more features too.
(May not be enough for teenagers - consult your own advisers - this solution sure beats doing nothing and there is no excuse)

DNS
https://www.opendns.com/ (can be used in routers or directly in PC) - Free
https://cleanbrowsing.org

Pricing info may not be accurate and is only on full filters (not email only), feel free to correct, and does not include installation costs. I am working on a comprehensive comparison list
here it is
« Last edited by jose34 on March 17, 2024, 12:08:52 AM »

Author Topic: Internet Filters  (Read 639294 times)

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Filters
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
like I said time will tell. If they provide a good service they will grow, otherwise they will end up where jnet and others went..
I will say this - as a technician k9 is really simple to install but really difficult to maintain when the end user starts requesting changes or when starts conflicting with some antiviruses.
VCF takes more time to fully customize and setup, but much easier to maintain.
About VCF Pro (Powered by Livgent) all I said above is true regardless the service they will give as it's a broken product and I don't think there is interest on that type of filtering to the public.

About VCF Basic (Powered by Websense) this makes more sense as it's backed by a reliable company but they will have a very difficult argument when they will start charging money because it's easier for them to manage.

It's going to be VCF Basic (Powered by Websense) $4.95 vs K9 managed by TAG $Free.

Like you said time will tell.

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
For a satmar member your language and writing skills are very impressive!
Thanks, this is thanks to B&H.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2013, 12:10:04 AM »
tag is going off k9 because its really difficult to manage, and like I said before all the people that have their own license make k9 useless

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 07, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »
tag is going off k9 because its really difficult to manage, and like I said before all the people that have their own license make k9 useless
If TAG goes with any of the above paid products most members I spoke to our planning to back out as they feel it's becoming a business, TAG will have a very hard time convincing  technicians or the public that they are a nonprofit organization, they will start looking more as a business.

In the beginning people were very suspicious about all the events who is behind it and that eventually someone is going to profit from it and now they will see the organization behind it are the ones taking advantage and starting to profit.

No arguments will help them....

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 07, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »

The second reason they switch from k9 is they don't feel it works that well and I will explain why. Many ppl install k9 themselves and split the password with their spouse or aquaintance figuring that will be a deterent, but since they use their email add for the license - they can get a temp password whenever they want and it thereby makes k9 useless.
1. You can open a gmail account just for K9, and split the password to the gmail account with your wife.

2. Pretty embarrassing conversation with your wife, why the old password isn't working anymore. (The next time she needs you to type in your half to bypass something).

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 07, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
1. You can open a gmail account just for K9, and split the password to the gmail account with your wife.

2. Pretty embarrassing conversation with your wife, why the old password isn't working anymore. (The next time she needs you to type in your half to bypass something).
old password works and temp stops working after 24hrs

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2013, 01:09:20 AM »
If TAG is doing the installation they are the email and password holder so this is no argument.

Offline popcorn1508

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2013, 02:14:58 AM »
If TAG is doing the installation they are the email and password holder so this is no argument.
He wrote earlier most ppl instal it themselves and if tag is doing it they create the password also

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
He wrote earlier most ppl instal it themselves and if tag is doing it they create the password also
So because most people are doing it themselves your making a argument that they will be able to convince people to purchase a paid product vs a free product that's a nice argument but a pretty stupid one why just not say any K9 not installed by TAG is not acceptable?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
you can't force ppl to install by you and not themselves. The argument here is that k9 in a way is ineffective for many people because they install it themselves, therefore VCF or any other filter that is controlled by 3rd party is more beneficial
Btw did you ever try filtering with k9 for a few hundred ppl, its very difficult. Every license goes somewhere else, every time you need to login you spend 20min speaking to ppl that are very not tech savvy just to get access. Its not that easy to maintain .

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
you can't force ppl to install by you and not themselves. The argument here is that k9 in a way is ineffective for many people because they install it themselves, therefore VCF or any other filter that is controlled by 3rd party is more beneficial
Btw did you ever try filtering with k9 for a few hundred ppl, its very difficult. Every license goes somewhere else, every time you need to login you spend 20min speaking to ppl that are very not tech savvy just to get access. Its not that easy to maintain .
This is exactly what we are talking you cannot force people, you know very well the rabbinical authority will require a minimum filter from TAG and this will mean buying a paid product vs using K9 installed by them.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
Your completely wrong in this respect. This has no connection to rabbinical authority. The reason they switched is because its easier to maintain and support, its that simple. You seem to be hellbent on making this political and that vcf doesn't work out.

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
Your completely wrong in this respect. This has no connection to rabbinical authority. The reason they switched is because its easier to maintain and support, its that simple. You seem to be hellbent on making this political and that vcf doesn't work out.
If we are talking about my points or political views I have nothing more to say they could do what ever they want I will be back one year from now and will see how far things have moved.

My view and points is that every person knows themselves and knows how to best protect their desire no one will stop me or anyone from anything if I don't have my own will to do so, so what will they do block my computer you know very well I will have another hard drive installed by you and do what ever I want, if I pay you to do it will you refuse? for sure not.

The reason why I am coming to TAG is for them to help protecting the password to help me force my desire but if it costs money I will tell them go flush and will have a friend or a third-party keep the password and the email on account.

Do you get it?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
Of course I get it, but from everything we've discussed I can assume you're way more tech savvy than many people are.

My point is that if this is easier for the organizations to maintain and they feel it does a good job, they will try to implement it. If it starts causing issues and people start complaining they wont use it. I don't think this decision came from rabbanim.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
You can still make an email account ( e.g. K9shemira@gmail.com) with a password that you and your wife split.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »
yes you can, but most people don't

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »
DH Data Recovery, I spoke to a volunteer at TAG he told me it's totally false that they are planning to use Venishmartem VCF filter using Livigent, he told me TAG is currently in a search for a cloud-based solution they are constantly looking into products one of them was VCF filter so far nothing positive the ones they determined good are too expensive.

Some volunteers did testing and analysis and were able to easily bypass the filter by using third-party proxies including TOR.

So you will make the argument a filter is for people who look to protect themselves the same argument make with any other product including K9.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
Honestly we both pretty much understand the filter situation at this point, I'm not trying to push VCF on anyone or even saying that I endorse it in any way, This conversation started with someone saying VCF is a scam, my goal here was to explain why a- it's not a scam and b- there's room in our community for this filter and there are enough reasons why some people may prefer this to K9. I don't care what organization offers it or recommends it, I just understand the reason why there was a need for some people to have a more customized filter and why a filtering organization would feel more comfortable with it than K9 because of its easy maintenance and controls.

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
Honestly we both pretty much understand the filter situation at this point, I'm not trying to push VCF on anyone or even saying that I endorse it in any way, This conversation started with someone saying VCF is a scam, my goal here was to explain why a- it's not a scam and b- there's room in our community for this filter and there are enough reasons why some people may prefer this to K9. I don't care what organization offers it or recommends it, I just understand the reason why there was a need for some people to have a more customized filter and why a filtering organization would feel more comfortable with it than K9 because of its easy maintenance and controls.
Now I am with you

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 12, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »