Cool thing they also have there is an extensive list of filtering options:
https://filters.pluckeye.net/

Filters for PC:
Call TAG 718-225-5824 (718-Call-TAG)
www.usanativ.com           8-12/mo 95-140/yr per 2 devices     
www.techloq.com (Windows)            9.49/mo 99.49/yr per device
www.NetFree.link (Windows)            free
www.netsafepro.com           10-12/mo per device 9-10/mo additional
www.netsparkmobile.com/ (Android and Windows)            9.50/mo 89/yr per device
www.covenanteyes.com/services/internet-filtering / http://webchaver.org/filtering.php           15.99/mo unlimited devices scree captures
www.netnanny.com (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)           40/yr 55/yr per device
https://truple.io (Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook [iOS coming soon]) - randomly captures and shares screenshots with accountability partner.                                    5-16/mo 50-160/yr (ranging from 1-unlimited devices)

http://www.livigent.com
==built on Livigent==
www.meshimer.com                      8-15/mo per device
www.geder.org
www.gentechsolution.com                   39/qtr per device

More info see https://venishmartem.com/

Israel
https://www.tagisrael.org/
http://www.etrog.net.il/
http://www.enativ.com/
http://netfree.link/
http://www.rimon.net.il/
http://shomer.shoresh.org.il/

For Windows Phone
www.safekiddo.com/en_us/

For Android
https://truple.io/androidfilter.html (Free android filter)

For iPhone/iPad/iOs
Check out their quite easy and powerful content restrictions.
Suggestion: Have someone else have the password (or half and half with a spouse) and do the following:
Lock installing apps + remove browser + add apps you need (possible rules: no games, no sports, no entertainment, etc.).
[Occasionally an app will have a built in browser/or need to access a certain website - just go back in to settings (with password) and add that website].
There is time restrictions and more features too.
(May not be enough for teenagers - consult your own advisers - this solution sure beats doing nothing and there is no excuse)

DNS
https://www.opendns.com/ (can be used in routers or directly in PC) - Free
https://cleanbrowsing.org

Pricing info may not be accurate and is only on full filters (not email only), feel free to correct, and does not include installation costs. I am working on a comprehensive comparison list
here it is
« Last edited by jose34 on March 17, 2024, 12:08:52 AM »

Author Topic: Internet Filters  (Read 631806 times)

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Filters
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
Is anybody with me that this subject became nauseating now, and it should be vented in PM mode form now on?
Nobody forces you to read this. I don't complain when ppl keep asking the same questions over and over in creditcard threads...

Offline chaimfried

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »
Because most of the filters are installed on laptops and its easier to change the line (location) than bypass any filter

Therefore one should get unfiltered internet?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
Again you keep calling it unfiltered internet - my point is that hardware is less filtered than software. You keep spinning this in circles, my point is very valid!

Offline chaimfried

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
most ppl won't use both because they don't know how to get around the filter, I agree though - you need to at least secure the router and modem otherwise any device can be connected to it. I think you need at least a physically locked router and modem if you have kids in the house and are worried about them connecting additional devices to the router.

Finally we are on the same page.

In herein lies the problem. They have required parents to get a software filter while their internet is unfiltered. And that has to stop. To me.... I'm not going to repeat it only because I want this thread to stay constructive.

Offline chaimfried

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »
Again you keep calling it unfiltered internet - my point is that hardware is less filtered than software. You keep spinning this in circles, my point is very valid!

It is unfiltered internet. As the filter is confined to only one device and the line is still not filtered.

Offline myuser

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
most ppl won't use both because they don't know how to get around the filter, I agree though - you need to at least secure the router and modem otherwise any device can be connected to it. I think you need at least a physically locked router and modem if you have kids in the house and are worried about them connecting additional devices to the router.
DH Data Recovery I used to do installations for TAG why isn't this part to recommend users, why don't they sell that box, why don't we recommend some low end hardware are we just looking the simple way out?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
I have no idea, I honestly don't have any connection to the "internet filtering" guys. They call me every time they make an event because they feel more comfortable when I'm there. I have some knowledge in most of the areas they deals with and I can remove the wifi card from any device in a matter of seconds. Other than that I'm not affiliated with them and have no part in creating the rules or agendas. When I come to a filtering event I just fill in wherever they need me.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
If I get a hardware filter and a software filter. And read a way to bypass my software filter. I can connect to the ten unlocked wifis that reach into my apartment and bypass the filters.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
Not sure if everyone is aware of this fact, or if it was discussed but I think its relative to the discussion:
A large majority of homes in urban areas have optimum/other free wifi that is unfiltered. (with a "friends" login..)
To get "filtered internet" in most these homes is a waste of time.
i spoke to a parent who didnt realize that his whole family was accessing the internet for free while he thought hes a tzadik for "not bringing it in to the house"
The only solution is device filterization and prayer.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
If I get a hardware filter and a software filter. And read a way to bypass my software filter. I can connect to the ten unlocked wifis that reach into my apartment and bypass the filters.
+1

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
Not sure if everyone is aware of this fact, or if it was discussed but I think its relative to the discussion:
A large majority of homes in urban areas have optimum/other free wifi that is unfiltered. (with a "friends" login..)
i spoke to a parent who didnt realize that his whole family was accessing the internet for free while he thought hes a tzadik for "not bringing it in to the house"
That's what I keep pointing out - software filters in many instances is the only one available

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
That's what I keep pointing out - software filters in many instances is the only one available
Let's not get into detail but I personally have no control over the internet connection I use. My only solution is to have a software filter.

Offline chaimfried

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »

Excellent post. I will bl"n write about this tomorrow. This is very true and frightening. 

Offline chaimfried

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
Let's not get into detail but I personally have no control over the internet connection I use. My only solution is to have a software filter.

If this is truly the case then you were covered in my original post where a software filter should be used.

I hope bl"n to post a longer post tomorrow on all this.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »
If this is truly the case then you were covered in my original post where a software filter should be used.

I hope bl"n to post a longer post tomorrow on all this.
So please don't ruin my software filter by posting a way around it!

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »

+1
There's a username going around Lakewood.
Tons of bochrim have either hidden smartphones or iPod touches with unflitered access to anything they'd like.
As most of these bochrim aren't looking to protect themselves, I'm not really sure what a good solution could be aside from making parents aware of the issue, or possibly getting Optimum to shut down access to the popular accounts.
Visibly Jewish

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »
Is it possible to lock any wifi?
Is this optimum thing different?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »
No, You can't lock a wifi that doesn't belong to you. Even if you remove the wifi chip from your device you can still connect a usb wifi adapter.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
+1
There's a username going around Lakewood.
Tons of bochrim have either hidden smartphones or iPod touches with unflitered access to anything they'd like.
As most of these bochrim aren't looking to protect themselves, I'm not really sure what a good solution could be aside from making parents aware of the issue, or possibly getting Optimum to shut down access to the popular accounts.
yup, the irv and dorm both have free unfiltered wifi. its a fact, shocking but true.
This is going back at least five years! and no one can do a thing.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
The internet is here to stay, there is no way around it. Almost every working family in Lalewood has at least one smartphone plus laptops etc.
Honestly I partially agree with the anti-filter crowd, that we must educate our children on how to use the internet responsibly and to deal with the nisyonos. Filtering and limiting device access is a good bandaid and is definitely necessary but is NOT the solution.
Its back to basics, learn mussar with the children, instill yiras shomayim and daven.