Author Topic: Want to change AA flight booked through Avios but no availability  (Read 689 times)

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I booked a flight using Avios on AA for tomorrow morning from CLE - NYC, but I want to fly later in the day.  However, the problem is that there are no low level award seats available later in the day.

If I "miss" my morning flight, if there is regular space available on a later flight will I be able to use my ticket from the morning to get on a later flight?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Want to change AA flight booked through Avios but no availability
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
Flat-tire rule, though it's YMMV.

"American does have a flat-tire rule for customers who call the airline to advise that they won't make their flights, according to representative Tim Smith. This call must come in no more than two hours after the flight's scheduled departure. But that doesn't guarantee them a spot on the next flight out: Passengers travel on a standby basis only."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/burbank/2009-12-02-missed-flight_N.htm
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
Flat-tire rule, though it's YMMV.

"American does have a flat-tire rule for customers who call the airline to advise that they won't make their flights, according to representative Tim Smith. This call must come in no more than two hours after the flight's scheduled departure. But that doesn't guarantee them a spot on the next flight out: Passengers travel on a standby basis only."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/burbank/2009-12-02-missed-flight_N.htm
I have done it more than once, just told them I didn't make it on time (3 hours late). Didn't need to lie. Put me on the next flight without issue
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
Thanks, I guess its probably not worth the risk.