Author Topic: Shabbat and my United Flight  (Read 31361 times)

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Shabbat and my United Flight
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »
Re: Seating assignments, if it's so important to you, why not confirm that your boarding pass is correct before boarding? You could ask an agent to confirm that the letters on your boarding pass match on the plane? United actually prints the relative location of the seat "aisle, window, or middle" and this is helpful.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
Re: Seating assignments, if it's so important to you, why not confirm that your boarding pass is correct before boarding? You could ask an agent to confirm that the letters on your boarding pass match on the plane? United actually prints the relative location of the seat "aisle, window, or middle" and this is helpful.

It's not like this incident happened yesterday.

Remember this was BA. This is before the days of fuel surcharges, or even etickets for that matter.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
I think it's important to know (since I'm obviously not a posek), are there truly any Rabbonim that if called right then would be like:

Passenger:  Rebbe, DW and I just boarded a plane and we realized we're seated next to each other, despite being told we'd be across the aisle.  She's a Niddah, what should I do?
LOR:  What are your options?
Pass:  Make a fuss and demand that other passengers be moved to accommodate us.  Deplane, and most likely inconvenience the entire plane, crew, etc.  Or sit and be careful regarding the harchakos.
LOR:  Well, can you politely ask and FA and other passengers to accommodate?
Pass:  Tried that, and no dice.
LOR:  Ok, you must deplane.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »
I think it's important to know (since I'm obviously not a posek), are there truly any Rabbonim that if called right then would be like:

I am sure there are plenty of מורי הוראה on DDF, some of them could chime in on this, or maybe it needs to be asked on the appropriate thread for an answer.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
There is a tshuva from reb moshe that it is ok. I will look it up later.

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »
IF (and that's a very big IF, as I will point out below) the story occurred AS ALLEGED (you only have one side, out of three parties - if you count the two Pakistanis as one, or four parties if you allow each one of them to have their own version), then I think all would agree that the gate agent was WAY out of line.

However, I tend to doubt the veracity of the story as presented.

LOL. You make a big stink when I didn't provide links, and then when I do so, you hand-wave it away.

You claim to fly a lot. Why don't you try the following experiment: every time you fly ask the gate agent if the person assigned the seat next to you is a male or female, and report back on how often you got them to give you that information. Then, if you get that information, claim some reason why you can't sit next to that person, and see what happens. Please report back with your findings.

There's no way in the world I'm going to make myself look like a weirdo by doing the above, so why don't you skip to the end and tell us what you believe would be the typical result? (And remember, the hypothetical is a full plane, not a plane with a lot of empty seats to which such a person could easily be moved without inconveniencing anyone else.)