Author Topic: To get an Israeli passport or not?  (Read 9196 times)

Offline trempim

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: To get an Israeli passport or not?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
There is another option, change your last name.

All you need is one letter off, as long as your passport does not say born in Jerusalem you should be fine.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
There is another option, change your last name.

All you need is one letter off, as long as your passport does not say born in Jerusalem you should be fine.
You really think they are stupid? They might not make an issue when entering, but renouncing is different.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
what if one has property in israel does renouncing citizenship affect  it anyway?
I heard recently israel is attempting to pass a law that taxes foreigners who own property in israel, not sure what the details are and if it passed/or about to or was just an idea.

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »
I've heard of various experiences, though most of the negative ones probably date back to the 90s or maybe early 00s.

Bottom line, don't think they are stupid and don't know. If the minor ever entered the country along with Israeli parent, they have that on record.

i don't disagree that they know just wanted to point out that it seems then do not enforce this rule of obtaining an israeli passport for minors when entering and existing in Israel at least in my experience.

but back to question of renouncing do they just take the names you put down to renounce or do they search for all possible names in the family etc...

and yes both parents have to appear and cannot be done in Israel

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »
I heard recently israel is attempting to pass a law that taxes foreigners who own property in israel, not sure what the details are and if it passed/or about to or was just an idea.

The tax is for both Israeli and foreign owners of 3 or more apartments, and for those who have apartments without living in them for most of the year, and not renting them, they are trying to control the increase in apartment prices, it will not work.
Also if you renounce Israeli citizenship it is much harder to get again when needed, my family and I are all keeping our Israeli citizenship, if or when it gets bad here like a repeat of 2008-09 and it will, ill have a place in Jerusalem to move to.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »
Also if you renounce Israeli citizenship it is much harder to get again when needed, my family and I are all keeping our Israeli citizenship, if or when it gets bad here like a repeat of 2008-09 and it will, ill have a place in Jerusalem to move to.
What makes you say it is harder to get Israeli citizenship? Why would one need to be a citizen in order to move there (I know people living there for many decades as non citizens)? 08-09 was bad here? If so how does moving to Jerusalem make any difference?
-- Dan

Offline trempim

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:04 AM »
You really think they are stupid? They might not make an issue when entering, but renouncing is different.

Worked for my brother in law.

New name + New passport number.

No more problems!

Offline ADedovets

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
I think you need to ask such questions at relevant state organizations, not this forum :)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
Worked for my brother in law.

New name + New passport number.

No more problems!
Worked for what? Did anyone renounce?
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
What makes you say it is harder to get Israeli citizenship? Why would one need to be a citizen in order to move there (I know people living there for many decades as non citizens)? 08-09 was bad here? If so how does moving to Jerusalem make any difference?
You could be correct about being able to live there without citizenship so far, but laws are changing , a year ago any non Israeli without a TZ # cant open a bank account, and Bituah Leumi --etc are only available to citizens and in some cases to Yeshiva students. They do not want non citizens to get any benefits without having Israel as their main residence, i.e stay at least 6 out of 12 months in the country and pay taxes. Since I live in the USA , when i renewed my passport at the Chicago consulate they changed my 10 year passport to a 2 year Israeli Taudat Mevar, same happened to many Israelis I know.
In 2008-09 the USA economy , housing market and stock market collapsed , was only partially saved by extreme money printing and banks bail out, the Israeli economy , banks and real estate markets were not affected, it looks like all about to repeat soon, the USA is 23 trillion USD in debt and increasing, it is the most debted nation in history, better to have an option out when needed.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
You could be correct about being able to live there without citizenship so far, but laws are changing , a year ago any non Israeli without a TZ # cant open a bank account, and Bituah Leumi --etc are only available to citizens and in some cases to Yeshiva students. They do not want non citizens to get any benefits without having Israel as their main residence, i.e stay at least 6 out of 12 months in the country and pay taxes.
One can be a permanent resident, pay taxes, bituach leumi etc without being a citizen.

Since I live in the USA , when i renewed my passport at the Chicago consulate they changed my 10 year passport to a 2 year Israeli Taudat Mevar, same happened to many Israelis I know.
So why would someone not living there want to have to deal with the hassle and expense? What benefit would one have from it?

In 2008-09 the USA economy , housing market and stock market collapsed , was only partially saved by extreme money printing and banks bail out, the Israeli economy , banks and real estate markets were not affected, it looks like all about to repeat soon, the USA is 23 trillion USD in debt and increasing, it is the most debted nation in history, better to have an option out when needed.
So what makes you think that nothing can happen there? Were there never financial problems there?

And if, or when the US economy collapses, what do you think would happen elsewhere, and what would be of over 200 million Americans (of which there are several millions of Jews)?

And for many 2008-2009 was a great opportunity to invest, as well as to have loads of debt wiped away (something that I don't believe could occur there).
-- Dan