Author Topic: Scam Alert Sungames  (Read 509690 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Scam Alert Sungames
« Reply #580 on: August 28, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
And may cause the actual victims embarrassment. What if it was you C"V who made this kind of mistake. Would you want your name posted online as the one who fell for it and was taken advantage of?
How can you make financial decisions on behalf of an organization if you're "financially unintelligent" ??

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
Huh? Since when is a rosh yeshiva qualified to make financial decisions? 
(some are,  but obviously some aren't)

I know of a rosh yeshiva that was approached with a similar "money making opportunity".

The proposed plan was to have a mailing sent out to all the parents of the student body,  and have them sign up as well,  and the yeshiva would get a referral/commission for each one.

Although it sounded very enticing (since,  ultimately, the financial obligations of the yeshiva fall on to the rosh yeshiva),  he told them that he needs to speak to the board of the yeshiva.

Bh the board members consist of "experienced" businessmen (As opposed to some shnuk who thinks he knows everything). They heard out the "opportunity" and advised the rosh yeshiva to keep himself and his parent body out of it. 
Long story short : a few months later it went bust.

My point isn't that it went bust.  My point is that any institution with a board -  had they consulted with thier  board,  they would he tol to stay away.
If they don't have a board -  that's a different major issue.

Just Bec ssomeone can be a rosh yeshiva or open an organization -  doesn't mean he has any experience in the business world.

/rant
There are large yeshivas involved that consulted with their board and still proceeded. Money is blinding and especially when presented by an experienced thief

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »
Ya I agree I would be carful about LH
You again? Go away

Online bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 28, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
There are large yeshivas involved that consulted with their board and still proceeded. Money is blinding and especially when presented by an experienced thief

Some board. They should cough up the losses if they really gave the go ahead.

Offline yechielM1

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 28, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
Relax calm down

You again? Go away

Offline DannyNJ

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 28, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
Watch the 1st min & 20 sec . Even Michael Scott realizes in the end that it’s a scam!
3xJOw

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
Some board. They should cough up the losses if they really gave the go ahead.
People make mistakes are you saying that if they would have had a gain they also get a percent?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 28, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
People make mistakes are you saying that if they would have had a gain they also get a percent?
That would depend on what their job description is/how their paycheck is set up.

If they're a fundraiser for an organization, and get commission on all the funds they bring in, I'd assume this is no different.

Online bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 28, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »

There is no way anyone with half a brain can do due diligence on this "deal" and vote to allow a Yeshiva to go ahead with it. If they listened to some guy wax poetic about how its so safe because "you can always dispute the charge" and caused a loss to mamon hekdesh, yes they should cover the losses.

Offline aradisc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 28, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Yes!

On that note, if anyone needs to reference that short lived blog with names and emails of the scam principals, be in touch. I managed to download the webpage before it went to sleep with the fishes. Don't see a need to recreate it, but feel free to reach out via PM if you could make some use of it.

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #590 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
How can you make financial decisions on behalf of an organization if you're "financially unintelligent" ??
In which case you are accusing them of something even worse. All the more reason not to publicize the names!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
Watch the 1st min & 20 sec . Even Michael Scott realizes in the end that it’s a scam!
3xJOw

+1. This really has been the most interesting thread I've read in a long time.

I'd like to sound off and say that in my opinion it is absolutely incorrect for any "Kli Kodesh" to go ahead and make investment decisions like this. Most institutions are suffering these days. My wife was just told she can expect her paycheck to be held until after the yomim neoraim. I feel for these institutions. But that is no excuse for having mud for brains (trying to keep it clean).

Getting a real financial education does not come over night. It takes years and years of work. I have a bachelors, masters, cpa, many years of successful investing experience and work within a very large mutual fund company and I still have trouble analyzing risk/reward on investments. What I do know is that decisions to invest donated money should never be taken lightly. I believe there is consensus to that point on this forum.

I don't think these institutions should be outed point blank but on the other hand this needs to end because I don't know how this isn't outright theft of donated money. There seems to be a very clear problem in our community of sheer stupidity which is evidenced by "knowitall102" and that phone message. Again, I believe there is consensus to this on the forum. 

The obvious question is how do you explain to someone who has minimal experience with earning a living or dealing with the outside world that there are certain "rules" like looking both ways before walking into traffic?

Ultimately I believe it is up to the Gedolim to start talking about this but they aren't and because they aren't these issues keep persisting. It really is so disappointing to hear these sad stories of bnei torah falling into these financial traps. It's disappointing because I like to see myself blissfully naive and whenever I hear these kind of stories I have to think twice the next time I write a check.
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #592 on: August 28, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #593 on: August 28, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »

ftfy
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:10 PM »
+1. This really has been the most interesting thread I've read in a long time.

I'd like to sound off and say that in my opinion it is absolutely incorrect for any "Kli Kodesh" to go ahead and make investment decisions like this. Most institutions are suffering these days. My wife was just told she can expect her paycheck to be held until after the yomim neoraim. I feel for these institutions. But that is no excuse for having mud for brains (trying to keep it clean).

Getting a real financial education does not come over night. It takes years and years of work. I have a bachelors, masters, cpa, many years of successful investing experience and work within a very large mutual fund company and I still have trouble analyzing risk/reward on investments. What I do know is that decisions to invest donated money should never be taken lightly. I believe there is consensus to that point on this forum.

I don't think these institutions should be outed point blank but on the other hand this needs to end because I don't know how this isn't outright theft of donated money. There seems to be a very clear problem in our community of sheer stupidity which is evidenced by "knowitall102" and that phone message. Again, I believe there is consensus to this on the forum. 

The obvious question is how do you explain to someone who has minimal experience with earning a living or dealing with the outside world that there are certain "rules" like looking both ways before walking into traffic?

Ultimately I believe it is up to the Gedolim to start talking about this but they aren't and because they aren't these issues keep persisting. It really is so disappointing to hear these sad stories of bnei torah falling into these financial traps. It's disappointing because I like to see myself blissfully naive and whenever I hear these kind of stories I have to think twice the next time I write a check.
Beautifully written Thank you
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 28, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Not just frum jews, amish too, http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-26/rich-amish-lured-into-florida-land-investment-scheme (Repost, I know)

This happens pervasively within all "ultra religious groups" usually because of trust or naivety. Ponzi was catering almost exclusively to Catholics.

I remember in December of 2008 when I was taking a Fraud elective in college that my teacher exclaimed there must be a god because the Madoff scandal busted a week before the class. I remember at one point going to her after class saying I was ashamed at how so many Jewish people were duped like this. She went on to say that fraud isn't specific to any ethnicity. She was right. If you look at fraud through the ages it is perpetrated because of opportunity and greed. Religious communities avail themselves to fraud because they are overly trusting and lacking financial education.

Offline Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Not just frum jews, amish too, http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-26/rich-amish-lured-into-florida-land-investment-scheme (Repost, I know)

One more point. The Florida land scheme is older than "Ponzi". Since the 19th century people have been buying "resort" land in Florida only to find malaria infested swamp which is kind of ironic considering they're living in the 19th century  ;D.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 28, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »

Well written. I was going to answer your question, but you yourself answered it.

Gedolim speaking about isn't happening right now. The alternative is rectifying this:

Religious communities avail themselves to fraud because they are overly trusting and lacking financial education.

Offline DannyNJ

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »
ftfy
Thanks Dan for the FTFY! Attached is a screenshot of Michael Scott’s plan…$3,700 investment will become $1,250,000! It’s supposed to be outrageous comedy, but the sad fact is that with Sungame, people were promised returns of 25 times value of investment, which translates to a whopping 2,500% return ! How anyone would fall for this is beyond belief.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm reading all of your comments and some took the liberty of calling Avi
Wachsler a thief, stupid, not worthy of being a rebbe etc.... but perhaps
 you should know that my brother Avi, is anything BUT those things. He is one of the best
 Rabbiem nationwide, and is a straight, super honest person. I don't know
 details enough to say whether it's a scam, a real business or quick
 "money maker" but I do know one fact, yes an absolute fact, Avi did not make
 a single penny from all of this and on the contrary, it's causing him
 unbearable pain that people are hurting.  I am hoping this thing comes
 together and everyone gets their money back and more, but if  indeed it goes
 south, I will know that Avi Wachsler will be able to hold his head up high
 knowing that he was ehrlich and never said anything to fool or mislead
 anyone.

I'm getting ready my popcorn.