Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 192737 times)

Offline Cat18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2024, 08:57:26 AM »
planning a last minute late may/june 5-7 night trip for the family, and thought to do the following below while staying in an airbnb in anchorage (flexible, as may be worth to move around):

day cruise (glacier)
bear viewing tours
dog sledding
fishing (salmon) 

thoughts so far? any other suggestions on what to do?

i figured to have 1 big activity per day, interspersed with seeing sights when possible. traveling with young child so limited in activities as he will be walking but terrain needs to be flat.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 10:59:50 AM by Cat18 »

Offline TravelMoshe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2024, 08:08:07 PM »
planning a last minute late may/june 5-7 night trip for the family, and thought to do the following below while staying in an airbnb in anchorage (flexible, as may be worth to move around):

day cruise (glacier)
bear viewing tours
dog sledding
fishing (salmon) 

thoughts so far? any other suggestions on what to do?

i figured to have 1 big activity per day, interspersed with seeing sights when possible. traveling with young child so limited in activities as he will be walking but terrain needs to be flat.

Your best resource to find this information is at Alaska.org.
Dog sledding, as far as i know can only be done by helicopter. Alpine Air in Girdwood (about 40 minutes from Anchorage) offers that.
Bear viewing- a few companies offer it from Anchorage but there are a couple of issues: 1. they're more expensive than let's say from Homer or Soldotna. 2. because they have to fly so far, often weather shuts them down. You also need to speak to them about where to go at that time of year and what to expect ( I don't know if the bears are fully out of hibernation yet in May) Some bear viewing outfits offer fishing as well.
Day cruise- Cruises go either from Seward (2.5 hour drive from Anchorage) or Whittier (1.5 hours from Anchorage but need to take into account the Whittier tunnel schedule). See Alaska.org for pros and cons for each location.