Author Topic: Immigration questions...  (Read 2717 times)

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Immigration questions...
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
I know that this is random but Im kind of at a loss of who to ask.

Both me and my wife are thinking about moving to the US from Canada where we now live.

She is American and I am Canadian.

Has anyone gone through the process that can guide me in the right direction? For example, where do I send my I-130 to?

I know that it is different from if you apply from within the usa.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
I have seen that link.
Although I have read it elsewhere and that I should send it to the Mexican office ...
 Can somebody confirm that I should be sending it to the Chicago lock box?

also has anyone else gone through this process? I would love to be informed before I start.

Offline Mm4goog

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
Any one know how strict israel is with bringing in cigarets?   

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
I have seen that link.
Although I have read it elsewhere and that I should send it to the Mexican office ...
 Can somebody confirm that I should be sending it to the Chicago lock box?

also has anyone else gone through this process? I would love to be informed before I start.
My wife did it. I am pretty sure we sent it to the Chicago office. Make sure you apply for a travel visa/work visa when applying.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
My wife did it. I am pretty sure we sent it to the Chicago office. Make sure you apply for a travel visa/work visa when applying.

Just to clarify,  do you mean simultaneously or instead of?

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »
Just to clarify,  do you mean simultaneously or instead of?
he means simultaneously as it could take time to get a interview and in that time you won't be able to work or travel

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
[advice author=dudi link=topic=40668.msg795983#msg795983 date=1398385352]
 he means simultaneously as it could take time to get a interview and in that time you won't be able to work or travel
[/quote]

first of all thank you everybody for such an immediate response and the  great source.
Just to be clear again, if you apply for a work visa and you apply for citizenship in the US then you have to apply for a change of status. Is that correct?

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »
[advice author=dudi link=topic=40668.msg795983#msg795983 date=1398385352]

first of all thank you everybody for such an immediate response and the  great source.
Just to be clear again, if you apply for a work visa and you apply for citizenship in the US then you have to apply for a change of status. Is that correct?
I did not get you q. But according to my knowledge she will not be able to become a citizen she would need to get a green card first then after 2 years apply for a green card again and if all goes well than 3 years from the day she got approved for permanent residency she can apply for citizenship

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »
I just went through the green card process myself last year, I did it from within the u.s. so not sure where you would send the application, but in every form it is written where to send it. Also when filling for a green card you would send all the forms to one location. This is what you would need to send in I-130, I-485 adjustment of status, I-765 work permit, I-131 traveling papers  I-693 medical exam (as of recently you have to send in your medical papers along with your application), I-864 affidavit of support and G-325A for petitioner and for beneficiary spouse.
P.S. you only have to re apply after two years, if you applied for your green card within you first two years of marriage.
Good luck!

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »
I just went through the green card process myself last year, I did it from within the u.s. so not sure where you would send the application, but in every form it is written where to send it. Also when filling for a green card you would send all the forms to one location. This is what you would need to send in I-130, I-485 adjustment of status, I-765 work permit, I-131 traveling papers  I-693 medical exam (as of recently you have to send in your medical papers along with your application), I-864 affidavit of support and G-325A for petitioner and for beneficiary spouse.
P.S. you only have to re apply after two years, if you applied for your green card within you first two years of marriage.
Good luck!

Thanks.

Now i understand what was meant by "work permit" in a previous post.

The process is completely different when applying from outside the US. There is no adjustment, no work, (no medical i think, or atleast i haven't seen that anywhere)

And i have confirmed with the uscis that i can send it to either the Chicago box or an office in Mexico (of which there are many so i have choices... Yay) But as im sure everyone on this forum knows that at these call centers they are just reading off their screens so the info my be incorrect...

The affidavit also scares me as my wife has not been filing in the US... Im the breadwinner so it wouldnt have made a difference anyways... she doesn't make the required $35000. Can anyone confirm that I would be able to get a third party so sign this?

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »
Some more info here.

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
Some more info here.

Thanks for the link although i need more specific advice. Namely the process from outside the US.

My case seems to be very atypical...

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the link although i need more specific advice. Namely the process from outside the US.

My case seems to be very atypical...

There are contact details in that thread for the UJO. They may be able to assist you further.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:24:19 AM »
There are contact details in that thread for the UJO. They may be able to assist you further.
they are not accepting cases now

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »
they are not accepting cases now

Shame... They were quite helpful.

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »
Thanks.

The process is completely different when applying from outside the US. There is no adjustment, no work, (no medical i think, or atleast i haven't seen that anywhere)

And i have confirmed with the uscis that i can send it to either the Chicago box or an office in Mexico (of which there are many so i have choices... Yay) But as im sure everyone on this forum knows that at these call centers they are just reading off their screens so the info my be incorrect...

The affidavit also scares me as my wife has not been filing in the US... Im the breadwinner so it wouldnt have made a difference anyways... she doesn't make the required $35000. Can anyone confirm that I would be able to get a third party so sign this?
yes you can, and that person would be called a joint sponsor and they would have to fill out their own separate     I-864. Regarding the medical exam it used to be that u first filed your application and then by your interview you would have to bring the medical exam along, but now they require the medical exam with the application. So make sure you find  that out before filling
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:48:02 AM by yudamaan »

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:44 AM »
Thanks.

I happened to get my green card  less than a month ago BH.
If I got your question right than basically the way it works is that the person who is applying for the green card has to have a sponsor that sponsor needs to make a certain amount.
The easiest is if the spouse himself is the sponsor but if he doesn't make enough than you need someone to be the co-sponsor which would be the person who will support you in the case that you spouse can't.
The co-sponsor needs to send in all his tax returns and stuff (I had a lawyer so I'm not sure exactly what but I'm sure you can find the info online) so I would advice you to start looking for someone if you need it as it took me almost 2 month just to find someone (uncle) that was willing to send in all these papers and then 2-3 weeks till he got all the paperwork together

Offline mypcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:18 AM »
I happened to get my green card  less than a month ago BH.
If I got your question right than basically the way it works is that the person who is applying for the green card has to have a sponsor that sponsor needs to make a certain amount.
The easiest is if the spouse himself is the sponsor but if he doesn't make enough than you need someone to be the co-sponsor which would be the person who will support you in the case that you spouse can't.
The co-sponsor needs to send in all his tax returns and stuff (I had a lawyer so I'm not sure exactly what but I'm sure you can find the info online) so I would advice you to start looking for someone if you need it as it took me almost 2 month just to find someone (uncle) that was willing to send in all these papers and then 2-3 weeks till he got all the paperwork together

Were you in the US or out?

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 01:29:03 AM »