Author Topic: Donald Sterling  (Read 14406 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Sterling
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »
Forcing him to sell is causing him a massive tax liability. That's just wrong imho

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
Now that it's come out Sterling supposedly has cancer, it's pretty clear that tying this all up in court is the right move financially. He's 80 years old and has cancer. If he holds on to the team till he dies, that saves his heirs more than $300 million in taxes.
Why? No inheritance taxes?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Why? No inheritance taxes?

Basis is reset to FMV when you die.
To offset part of estate tax.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Basis is reset to FMV when you die.
To offset part of estate tax.
gotchya

Offline barrytuneup

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
what he said is not terrible and probably true!! Most (90% of crime is committed by them (blacks) Admit it people. Remember Yankel. Still true. The liberal media is most of the problem. I used to live in lower Manhattan with them (1970's-1990's)My two sons were harassed every day in Public school. had to take them out. (I am a conservative Jew with brains). They have great jobs now and a great life, but still suffer emotionally from those days. We finally got enough money to move upstate and start a new life in a "white area". They (blacks) are the reason the far suburbs exist. Look at Astorino running for governor of NY, has continuously delayed the Fair and Affordable Housing act by 12 years and had Westchester County even turn down their funding.  Because he knows his constituents moved to Westchester to escape the Bronx and upper Manhattan and all the other black areas. Admit it people.  Are the orthodox in Williamsburg or anywhere else going out in the dark at night alone? You can't admit I am right.  Every newspaper article that shows crime against  whites and Jews by blacks makes me think that I couldn't have made a better decision by moving. It's getting worse with DeB. and Bratton. Oh and don't forget the knockout punches directed at Jews. So Sterling is right on. 

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
what he said is not terrible and probably true!! Most (90% of crime is committed by them (blacks) Admit it people. Remember Yankel. Still true. The liberal media is most of the problem. I used to live in lower Manhattan with them (1970's-1990's)My two sons were harassed every day in Public school. had to take them out. (I am a conservative Jew with brains). They have great jobs now and a great life, but still suffer emotionally from those days. We finally got enough money to move upstate and start a new life in a "white area". They (blacks) are the reason the far suburbs exist. Look at Astorino running for governor of NY, has continuously delayed the Fair and Affordable Housing act by 12 years and had Westchester County even turn down their funding.  Because he knows his constituents moved to Westchester to escape the Bronx and upper Manhattan and all the other black areas. Admit it people.  Are the orthodox in Williamsburg or anywhere else going out in the dark at night alone? You can't admit I am right.  Every newspaper article that shows crime against  whites and Jews by blacks makes me think that I couldn't have made a better decision by moving. It's getting worse with DeB. and Bratton. Oh and don't forget the knockout punches directed at Jews. So Sterling is right on.

I'm sorry you were traumatized by black people. But you do realize that you sound like a wacko, don't you?

Offline barrytuneup

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
could be, but doubtful. I have no problem in parking lots and restaurants at night where I am. And I can be happy of my surroundings.

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Donald Sterling agrees to let wife sell Los Angeles Clippers: reports on.mktw.net/1tu3WXz

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:41 AM »
Now that you bring him up, man... that guy is cracked. Forget about him being a racist. That's just one manifestation of his looniness. It's mamash sad to see him operating all demented like that. I wonder with these billionaire guys who are stupid and/or crazy, how they managed to get rich. But becoming rich (besides for sometimes being just "luck") is a very specific kind of intelligence. One can be good that one thing and also be a shoitah in all other areas.

Some of you guys harassed me for saying that Sterling is mentally incompetent.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/

Please, I know what I am talking about. Maybe now you'll trust me, at least on stuff like this.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Oh, yes, we'll make sure to come back to you for your expert opinion the next time an NBA franchise owning billionaire makes allegedly racist comments while being duped by his vindictive girlfriend with a tape recorder. I'm sure your phone will be ringing off the hook.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
Oh, yes, we'll make sure to come back to you for your expert opinion the next time an NBA franchise owning billionaire makes allegedly racist comments while being duped by his vindictive girlfriend with a tape recorder. I'm sure your phone will be ringing off the hook.

And don't you forget it!

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
whatsapp: 16 billion
Los Angeles Clippers: 2 billion...
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
whatsapp: 16 billion
Los Angeles Clippers: 2 billion...
They sure did punish him. A few months ago the team wasn't worth close to 2 bil. Everyone was jumping over each other to buy it. Oh, he also filed a $1 billion lawsuit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:17:01 PM by TimT »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/30/Accountant-Sterlings-Will-Owe-Roughly-662M-in-Capital-Gains-Taxes-if-Clippers-Sold-for-2B
Sure is alot of money but then again its no different than any other long term capital gain. Shame it didnt happen last year or he would have saved alot of money :P

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
Sure is alot of money but then again its no different than any other long term capital gain. Shame it didnt happen last year or he would have saved alot of money :P

The issue is the forced sale, not that it's a different type of capital gain.

Had he not been forced to sell, and he had held the team until death, his heirs would have received the team at a stepped-up cost-basis established at the time of his death, literally saving him $600MM+.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
The issue is the forced sale, not that it's a different type of capital gain.

Had he not been forced to sell, and he had held the team until death, his heirs would have received the team at a stepped-up cost-basis established at the time of his death, literally saving him $600MM+.

@david IOW your yorshim don't pay cap gains on stuff they inherit, to make up for fact that they pay estate tax.

So yes, if he had died in 2010 it would have been the most tax efficient.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
Think he could tayna involuntary conversion? Under 1033?

Suppose he buys a team in a different country?
He has plenty of toyanim... :)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
They sure did punish him. A few months ago the team wasn't worth close to 2 bil. Everyone was jumping over each other to buy it. Oh, he also filed a $1 billion lawsuit.
Even without this incident, if he would have announced out of the blue that he was entertaining offers, he'd have ended up with the same kind of deal.