Author Topic: Donald Sterling  (Read 14351 times)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Donald Sterling
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
Sterling insists hes not a racists. He says some of his best credit cards are black.
--Jimmy Kimmel

Now that you bring him up, man... that guy is cracked. Forget about him being a racist. That's just one manifestation of his looniness. It's mamash sad to see him operating all demented like that. I wonder with these billionaire guys who are stupid and/or crazy, how they managed to get rich. But becoming rich (besides for sometimes being just "luck") is a very specific kind of intelligence. One can be good that one thing and also be a shoitah in all other areas.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Donald Sterling
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
Now that you bring him up, man... that guy is cracked. Forget about him being a racist. That's just one manifestation of his looniness. It's mamash sad to see him operating all demented like that. I wonder with these billionaire guys who are stupid and/or crazy, how they managed to get rich. But becoming rich (besides for sometimes being just "luck") is a very specific kind of intelligence. One can be good that one thing and also be a shoitah in all other areas.

His ban from NBA is the only thing that's demented, stupid, and/or crazy.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
His ban from NBA is the only thing that's demented, stupid, and/or crazy.

The man is a deranged idiot. He's a freak. If he were the candyman in my shul, I wouldn't let my kids near him.

Listen to these recordings. http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

The NBA is not stupid for banning him. It was a good business decision. Not weighing in on the morality of it, just saying, the choice to ban him was good for the bottom line.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
The man is a deranged idiot. He's a freak. If he were the candyman in my shul, I wouldn't let my kids near him.

Listen to these recordings. http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

The NBA is not stupid for banning him. It was a good business decision. Not weighing in on the morality of it, just saying, the choice to ban him was good for the bottom line.

You've never said something in private that you hoped wouldn't be broadcast on the front page of every media outlet in the country?

You want to be punished for something you think, but yet haven't acted on?

I have zero problem with anti-semitism. Think it all you want. Believe we're scum of the earth, money-hungry, media-controlling, elitists.

...just don't run me over with your car.

To ban a guy for something he said in private to a vindictive girlfriend, and upon which he's never acted TMK, is the height of insanity.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
You've never said something in private that you hoped wouldn't be broadcast on the front page of every media outlet in the country?

You want to be punished for something you think, but yet haven't acted on?

I have zero problem with anti-semitism. Think it all you want. Believe we're scum of the earth, money-hungry, media-controlling, elitists.

...just don't run me over with your car.

To ban a guy for something he said in private to a vindictive girlfriend, and upon which he's never acted TMK, is the height of insanity.
I agree with your general position.

However, in this case, since it was recorded and leaked to the media, it turns out that his voice was heard in public saying racist things.

If he would have been schmoozing with Adam Silver in his living room and said these things, and then Silver called a press conference and banned him, then your argument would be fully applicable.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
I agree with your general position.

However, in this case, since it was recorded and leaked to the media, it turns out that his voice was heard in public saying racist things.

If he would have been schmoozing with Adam Silver in his living room and said these things, and then Silver called a press conference and banned him, then your argument would be fully applicable.

How is it his fault that his views, expressed in private and to someone with whom he had a relationship, were recorded and later used as a weapon against him when that person wanted to "get even" with him?

Since when is it illegal to be a racist or bigot?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
Man, are you missing the whole point. Keep listening to Rush though.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »

It may not be illegal but would you want an anti Semite working for you even if he held his beliefs to himself?

http://xkcd.com/1357
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:14:37 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
How is it his fault that his views, expressed in private and to someone with whom he had a relationship, were recorded and later used as a weapon against him when that person wanted to "get even" with him?

It's not his fault. happens. The offended don't care if it was his fault or not; they are just offended.

???
What does that have to do with anything? It doesn't need to be illegal for it to be highly offensive, politically incorrect, etc. He wasn't banned for breaking a law, he was banned because he made himself too unlikable and into a social liability for the league. The ban was a direct result of the public outcry, not the fact that he said what he said. If the media hadn't caused as big of a stir, the disciplinary action taken (if any) would have been less harsh. The NBA, like any other business, can't afford to be unlikable.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:03:40 AM by jj1000 »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »

Feel free to enlighten me.

I have better things to do with my time, but your snide remarks are out of line.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:22:38 PM by AJK »

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
Do Rev. Al or Jessie make more sense then Rush ?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »
It's not his fault. Sh*t happens. The offended don't care if it was his fault or not; they are just offended.

???
What does that have to do with anything? It doesn't need to be illegal for it to be highly offensive, politically incorrect, etc. He wasn't banned for breaking a law, he was banned because he made himself too unlikable and into a social liability for the league. The ban was a direct result of the public outcry, not the fact that he said what he said. If the media hadn't caused as big of a stir, the disciplinary action taken (if any) would have been less harsh. The NBA, like any other business, can't afford to be unlikable.

And that's part of my point.

The manner in which the media has pounced on what should have otherwise have been a non-event is repulsive.

A fine alone I would not have had an issue with. Just his bad luck his sleazy girlfriend (who likely led the Sterling sheep to the slaughter) recorded him. He can afford it.

But to ban the guy for life? To effectively take away his investment of several hundred million dollars? Mind-boggling.

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »

The manner in which the media has pounced on what should have otherwise have been a non-event is repulsive.

A fine alone I would not have had an issue with. Just his bad luck his sleazy girlfriend (who likely led the Sterling sheep to the slaughter) recorded him. He can afford it.

But to ban the guy for life? To effectively take away his investment of several hundred million dollars? Mind-boggling.
That part of your point I agree with 100%.
The media is completely insane.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
Feel free to enlighten me.

I have better things to do with my time, but your snide remarks are out of line.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to be harsh.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »

I hope he sues
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
I hope he sues
Do you think he could win that one ?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »
I hope he sues

Why would you want him to do that? He hasn't been disgraced enough? He'll look like an even bigger *** than he already does. He's deranged.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:04:11 AM by jj1000 »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
I hope he sues

There's no doubt he will.

He's a litigious ***.

Trying to get him as a client ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:04:14 AM by jj1000 »

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
Do you think he could win that one ?
IANAL, but this is disgusting.

Oh, and when is Mel Gibson being banned from making movies
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »
Why would you want him to do that? He hasn't been disgraced enough? He'll look like an even bigger ass than he already does. He's deranged.
Ok, it's time to explain why you feel he is deranged. Go ahead.