Author Topic: Donald Sterling  (Read 14357 times)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: Donald Sterling
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
Some people do. Some people won't buy a German car. I'm not sure that's the best example. Meanwhile I think the reason for banning him is more from social pressure. Not "punishing" him in anyway is showing to some people you are agreeing with his words. And it's all a business. Whether anyone agrees or not they are just trying to save their own skin.

Obviously its not comparable. and i understand that some ppl woulnt buy german cars. but my point is there is no reason that anything should have happened to him. You dont like the boss then dnt work for him.

Something similar just reminded me. A story right before pesach, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/09/mozilla-ceo-resignation_n_5094761.html how the creater of javscript had to resign bec he gave1k to an anti gay support group in 08.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »
That's because the NBA isn't full of Jews
THATS WHY this is so big, bec 80% of the nba is colored.... this isthe only reason why sterling is out. and silver took the form of action he did.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »
The NBA is the boss in this case. And they just banned him.

I'm not saying I agree with that decision necessarily. I don't agree with his opinions.  Meanwhile a person who is any position of 'power' like that is going to be judged for his views. Especially a sensitive topic like racisim.

The law is one thing and I don't know if the NBA officially had the right or not  but the whole issue isn't exactly black and white. No pun intended.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
Somehow, I don't think this guy will get a lifetime ban from the house of representatives.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/democratic-congressman-makes-shocking-racial-comments-about

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »
THATS WHY this is so big, bec 80% of the nba is colored.... this isthe only reason why sterling is out. and silver took the form of action he did.

If an NHL Owner made this comment, there is no way that he'd be given such a harsh penalty

Silver had a gun to his head because he knew that the players were going to walk off that night if he didn't go all in

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
If an NHL Owner made this comment, there is no way that he'd be given such a harsh penalty

Silver had a gun to his head because he knew that the players were going to walk off that night if he didn't go all in
Thats also bec you haveppl like marc jackson telling everyone not to show up. or jordan calling ita disgrace and even more so the damn president from Malaysia

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
This piece by Kareem Abdul Jabar:
http://www.time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism

And this take by Bomani Jones
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bLKe9-Mto

Should be required reading/listening on this topic.

The NBA should ban him, it makes great business sense. And if they force him to sell his team - he'll walk away with a huge profit. But that is not a given. One owner, Marc Cuban, has already said he supports the commissioners actions thus far, but is dead against forced property divestment because of private comments in a private home. They need 3/4 of the owners to agree to get rid of him.

The comment early in this thread that he hasn't acted out on his racism contradicts Sterling's own sworn testimony about his racist practices as a landlord.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
True, he's had some colorful remarks in the past with respect to housing, etc. But, the manner in which the media has pounced on what should have otherwise have been a non-event is repulsive.

They pick an instance where he says "don't associate with black people" to put his head on a pike and trot it around? Please.

To be clear, my "beef" isn't with the NBA owners. They had every reason to oust him once the media whipped everyone up into a righteously indignant feeding frenzy over his so-called egregious racism.

My beef lies with three bodies (well, two bodies and a vindictive, sleazy girlfriend):

1) The press. Again, they turned what should have been another day in Candy Land to transforming Sterling into Voldemort.

2) Silver. He could have quelled this madness with a resounding fine and finite suspension. $2.5MM plus a 1, 2, or even 5 year suspension would have likely had the same effect. Banning a guy, which undoubtedly sets into motion the forced sale, is beyond the pale.

3) The sleazy, vindictive girlfriend. 'Nuff said.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
True, he's had some colorful remarks in the past with respect to housing, etc. But, the manner in which the media has pounced on what should have otherwise have been a non-event is repulsive.

They pick an instance where he says "don't associate with black people" to put his head on a pike and trot it around? Please.

Exactly. To ignore his racist, sexist, abusive past, and then go nuts because of a(n illegal?) recording? Doesn't make you a super non-racist saint, but a band wagon jumping, high horse trotting hypocrite. The recording doesn't make him evil, it makes him an idiot.

I think Silver was in the position where the public and players (union included) where whipped into such a frenzy that anything less than a ban would not have been accepted, with an apparently very real chance of a mid-playoff boycott.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
Hard to fault the NBA, or even the owners if they do force him to sell. This outcome is actually the cleanest and best (ie $-wise) for both the NBA and for Sterling. The NBA would have had way more headaches if they didn't take the harshest possible route due to reactions from players (throughout the NBA but obviously especially on the Clippers), sponsors and fans. At first I was thinking that this whole thing would cause a serious loss to Sterling because he'd get less than market value, but it sounds like that won't be the case in a sale. If that's true, he's probably doing himself much more financial harm by suing to hold on. He, and the NBA, are going to have to deal with players trying to bail on their contracts (and certainly sponsor issues) until a suit would be resolved.

The reactions of the general public and those involved in the NBA are not too crazy either. Once it's out there, he becomes so offensive to everyone that it makes sense if they choose to 'boycott' him in whatever way possible. The only reason it's odd is because it's not really anything new.

As far as the media, they're always going to run with a story, hard to get on them just for that. The bigger issue regarding the media, and with Stiviano/whoever leaked it, is publicizing someone's private (and possible illegally recorded) conversations.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Exactly. Silver made a business decision, nothing more, nothing less.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
@skyguy918, I don't fault the owners. They, and to a lesser extent Sterling, have to do what they have to do to protect their brand. But again, I just feel he could have sent a rather resounding message of "we don't tolerate 'racism'" by fining him the max and suspending him for a decade (which, let's be honest, probably has the same effect as a lifetime ban).

With respect to the press, that's my point: it isn't a story. It's a non-event, especially relative to his previous remarks. Nasty pitbulls, them. And don't get me started on the "V."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
As far as the media, they're always going to run with a story, hard to get on them just for that. The bigger issue regarding the media, and with Stiviano/whoever leaked it, is publicizing someone's private (and possible illegally recorded) conversations.

Why didn't they go after him until now?

All these anecdotes and stories of years' past are suddenly coming out now.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
@skyguy918, I don't fault the owners. They, and to a lesser extent Sterling, have to do what they have to do to protect their brand. But again, I just feel he could have sent a rather resounding message of "we don't tolerate 'racism'" by fining him the max and suspending him for a decade (which, let's be honest, probably has the same effect as a lifetime ban).

With respect to the press, that's my point: it isn't a story. It's a non-event, especially relative to his previous remarks. Nasty pitbulls, them. And don't get me started on the "V."
By law - mr lawyer - is silver allowed to ban him based on an illegal foundation?

Silver i know has alaw degree so im sure he looked into it

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »
By law - mr lawyer - is silver allowed to ban him based on an illegal foundation?

Silver i know has alaw degree so im sure he looked into it

I'm sure the NBA Constitution has provisions governing it, but you can bet your season tickets that Silver is going to have this guy move heaven and earth to argue the NBA cannot. Or that this conduct didn't warrant the penalty. Or that there are antitrust violations. Or...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
...I just feel he could have sent a rather resounding message of "we don't tolerate 'racism'" by fining him the max and suspending him for a decade...
It would have been a big gamble, especially given all the big names (current and former players, some owners, all sorts of other 'voices') who said they think Sterling should get the boot entirely as an owner.
Why didn't they go after him until now?

All these anecdotes and stories of years' past are suddenly coming out now.
There's a huge difference between his statements about Black and Hispanic tenants, which was only alleged and not proven, and hearing an actual recording of him saying the things he said. Same goes for the housing bias suit, which was settled with a denial of liability, and the Elgin Baylor lawsuit, which was rejected by the court. In Baylor's case, all the 'quotes' were things Baylor alleged Sterling said, with nothing proven.

In reality, both the housing and hiring issues are much worse than his current comments, because in both instances he supposedly acted in a discriminatory (read: racist) manner. But it wasn't proven, so...

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
There's a huge difference between his statements about Black and Hispanic tenants, which was only alleged and not proven, and hearing an actual recording of him saying the things he said.

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212

Some of those comments are in sworn testimony, not alleged. They are pretty damning.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212

Some of those comments are in sworn testimony, not alleged. They are pretty damning.
That means that someone else testified that he said those things. A far cry from hearing him actually say something in a recording that he later admitted was him speaking.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I believe he probably said all of those things, at least in sentiment if not in exact words. But when it comes to reporting, and to people's gut reactions, you can't compare any of that to recorded audio.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
I'm sure the NBA Constitution has provisions governing it, but you can bet your season tickets that Silver is going to have this guy move heaven and earth to argue the NBA cannot. Or that this conduct didn't warrant the penalty. Or that there are antitrust violations. Or...
Inother words for the common ppl if i ever pulled something like this i would get my @$$ sued off, but since were talking about silver and the nba anything will happen...

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
Inother words for the common ppl if i ever pulled something like this i would get my @$$ sued off, but since were talking about silver and the nba anything will happen...
He meant to say Sterling, not Silver (Platt is Sterling's lawyer not the NBA's). What you're saying is true though in that the NBA has this constitution which might theoretically give them the ability to force Sterling out (and obviously their lawyers think they'll win out). But that's not to say it's a done deal by any means, and Sterling is clearly going to do whatever he can from a legal standpoint to prevent his ouster.