Author Topic: Anyone experienced in creating customized UPC symbols?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Anyone experienced in creating customized UPC symbols?
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
I'm a member of GS1 and made a UPC symbol on their site over a month ago. (It's not scanning with a product name on my phone App.)

Does each store scan it in with a product ID? Or does it come with its own default product name?

Anyone have experience with making these? It's ready to print on the package -- confirming that this was done correctly:
UPC Pic in the next post. Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:04:28 PM by CS1 »
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline CS1

• View Profile
Re: Anyone experienced in creating customized UPC symbols?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »

Pic from above post. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:05:53 PM by CS1 »
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »
I do this all the time.

A UPC code is simply a faster way to enter the digits into a field. If you have a handheld scanner try scanning it into any open text field - if the numbers on the bottom of the barcode show up then it's done correctly.

In a store the barcode will scan into a database where it's compared to existing codes; if it's been put into the system it'll bring up the correct product. Since your barcode has not been programmed into whatever database the app on your phone uses, it didn't bring anything up.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
The UPC code is just a set of numbers. In order for it to be associated with the product, the store scans it into their inventory system as part of the SKU details.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
I do this all the time.

A UPC code is simply a faster way to enter the digits into a field. If you have a handheld scanner try scanning it into any open text field - if the numbers on the bottom of the barcode show up then it's done correctly.

In a store the barcode will scan into a database where it's compared to existing codes; if it's been put into the system it'll bring up the correct product. Since your barcode has not been programmed into whatever database the app on your phone uses, it didn't bring anything up.
thanks for explaining it --
   however, if the product title and number of ounces has already been entered into the GS1 database, then shouldn't the entered title show up in any app and in any store as the default? (right now, phone is saying product doesn't exist).

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
thanks for explaining it --
   however, if the product title and number of ounces has already been entered into the GS1 database, then shouldn't the entered title show up in any app and in any store as the default? (right now, phone is saying product doesn't exist).

I'm not familiar with GS1 in particular, but if I understand correctly what they basically do is manage the code to the extent that it's only yours and no one else can use it. They don't distribute the information to everyone on the planet. Why would a grocery need the barcode info for a specific blood test? All they need is for their stock items. That means that whatever app you're using has no access to your code; all they have is their own database.

For example, if you're using Amazon's app to test it, since your product isn't sold on Amazon they have no record of it; hence the product doesn't exist as far as they're concerned.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
I'm not familiar with GS1 in particular, but if I understand correctly what they basically do is manage the code to the extent that it's only yours and no one else can use it. They don't distribute the information to everyone on the planet. Why would a grocery need the barcode info for a specific blood test? All they need is for their stock items. That means that whatever app you're using has no access to your code; all they have is their own database.

For example, if you're using Amazon's app to test it, since your product isn't sold on Amazon they have no record of it; hence the product doesn't exist as far as they're concerned.
i see, so if this UPC above is already at the printer on my item, then it's okay that it's not yet input anywhere?
That's up for each store to do when they receive the new product?
(i.e. has this been done correctly until this point, and it's now the retailers' job to do the rest of the data entry?)

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
when can we expect the chips? :)

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
i see, so if this UPC above is already at the printer on my item, then it's okay that it's not yet input anywhere?
That's up for each store to do when they receive the new product?
(i.e. has this been done correctly until this point, and it's now the retailers' job to do the rest of the data entry?)

I don't deal with the retailers directly, but I know that the first thing Receiving does when the products gets to the warehouse is scan the barcode and enter the info into the system. I assume that the retailer would do the same.

In fact during the final shipment inspection in China we test the barcode simply to see if the correct numbers come up; there is no database at the factory to compare it to.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
I don't deal with the retailers directly, but I know that the first thing Receiving does when the products gets to the warehouse is scan the barcode and enter the info into the system. I assume that the retailer would do the same.

In fact during the final shipment inspection in China we test the barcode simply to see if the correct numbers come up; there is no database at the factory to compare it to.
Great! So it looks like I'm all set -- Thanks so much for your assurance. 
The GS1 site asks product info, ounces, dimensions, etc.. so i figured that it was a great system (it's $250) for the stores to have the basics automatically coded into their inventory and then they can edit as much as needed.
Now, it looks like this code is a blank slate and even though this is a food-related item they can write what they want. Such as a Canon 5D MarkIII for $4.99   .... ;) ....

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
I scanned the Kosher salt and the cinnamon in my house just now and when clicking on the UPC Database, they both came up in the phone scanner with name and ounces.

My item's number comes up correctly, but no product information. (This is fine if I need to add info online, but need to make sure that the UPC at the printer was done right.) Is there another step that I'm missing?

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
I scanned the Kosher salt and the cinnamon in my house just now and when clicking on the UPC Database, they both came up in the phone scanner with name and ounces.

My item's number comes up correctly, but no product information. (This is fine if I need to add info online, but need to make sure that the UPC at the printer was done right.) Is there another step that I'm missing?
I think you should re-read the posts above.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »

I'm really not sure... It seems that you did everything correctly, but I don't know why some things come up and others don't.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:49 AM »
I'm really not sure... It seems that you did everything correctly, but I don't know why some things come up and others don't.
Yes, I called GS1 and they also told me that it was set up correctly (a month ago). They told me that the retailers have to enter in the remainder of the info.

Right now it worked with my friend's smartphone. The product info came up. So, if anyone else has an app, can you try and see if it works? Thanks. 

ETA: bar code
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:30:34 AM by CS1 »

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »
Yes, I called GS1 and they also told me that it was set up correctly (a month ago). They told me that the retailers have to enter in the remainder of the info.

Right now it worked with my friend's smartphone. The product info came up. So, if anyone else has an app, can you try and see if it works? Thanks. 

ETA: bar code

When I put it into Google goggles, it gave me this link .

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
When I put it into Google goggles, it gave me this link .
that's cool. Thnx! So I guess that it's working correctly. I was also told that each retailer is responsible for their inventory details.

(Which is what lubaby said here: )
The UPC code is just a set of numbers. In order for it to be associated with the product, the store scans it into their inventory system as part of the SKU details.