Author Topic: ELAL Matmid - how to accumulate points?  (Read 10884 times)

Offline zer0k1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
ELAL Matmid - how to accumulate points?
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
How can I accumulate points for the ELAL Matmid account to be used towards a free flight?

I saw on the website it says you can exchange "American express (Israel)" points for Matmid points. What if I got an american express card to use in Canada?

Sorry if this is dumb question, I am just trying to figure this stuff out. I am trying to get a discounted ticket to israel and not sure what the most effective way to go about it is.

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: ELAL Matmid - how to accumulate points?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
How can I accumulate points for the ELAL Matmid account to be used towards a free flight?

I saw on the website it says you can exchange "American express (Israel)" points for Matmid points. What if I got an american express card to use in Canada?

Sorry if this is dumb question, I am just trying to figure this stuff out. I am trying to get a discounted ticket to israel and not sure what the most effective way to go about it is.
As Dan always says: Matmid has one of the worst programs!
The best way was form the Has Advantage card but that ended a couple of mounts ago, Amex (not all, only if you get MR on your Amex) Transfers over to Matmid but its a bad Ratio,  So programs from Chase UR or Transfer your Amex MR to ANA would be a better way to go about getting to Israel.

Offline ranhan429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »

1. Don't use matmid program
2. Open an AAdvantage card and get to Israel on El Al for 80/90k RT
3. Don't use matmid program

;D
כפרות על כפרה

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
Matmid has one of the worst programs!

Seriously?
What if he wants to fly direct in first class?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline zer0k1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »

;D

Ok - got it!

This will sound like a really stupid question: I signed up for AAdvantage - NOW WHAT? how do I get a credit card that will give me AA points?

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
Ok - got it!

This will sound like a really stupid question: I signed up for AAdvantage - NOW WHAT? how do I get a credit card that will give me AA points?

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=29745.0;topicseen

Offline sharabob

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
Seriously?
Any 1.5% or 2% cash back card will offer better value for purchasing paid tickets than the value you can get for points through credit cards. And you won't be limited by availability.

If you do find that a particular ticket is "cheaper" in points than in cash (assuming a $1 value per point), quite common with F, you can still purchase unlimited points from EL AL at $1 a point. Unless you have a card that offers something in the range of 3-4 points per $100 spend (which even HAS didn't offer), you're better off with regular cash back.

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
Seriously?

With the hefty matmid fuel surchases on First, I'm not sure that OP that is looking for a "Free flight" wants to pay (what is it, $350 IIRC) in fuel surcharges just sayin'!

// Just fly in biz for 135k via AA    ;D
כפרות על כפרה

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
Any 1.5% or 2% cash back card will offer better value for purchasing paid tickets than the value you can get for points through credit cards. And you won't be limited by availability.

If you do find that a particular ticket is "cheaper" in points than in cash (assuming a $1 value per point), quite common with F, you can still purchase unlimited points from EL AL at $1 a point. Unless you have a card that offers something in the range of 3-4 points per $100 spend (which even HAS didn't offer), you're better off with regular cash back.
Either your calculator or your brain are dysfunctional.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
With the hefty matmid fuel surchases on First, I'm not sure that OP that is looking for a "Free flight" wants to pay (what is it, $350 IIRC) in fuel surcharges just sayin'!

// Just fly in biz for 135k via AA    ;D
Re read what I posted:

Total fees & taxes for round trip in LY F is $352.32
Total fees & taxes for round trip via AA is ~$75
352.32 - 75 = $277.35

Is that what you'd call hefty??

Don't overreact. Have a good night.

Offline sharabob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
Either your calculator or your brain are dysfunctional.
How do you figure?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
How do you figure?
Did you check the price of a first class ticket?

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
+100

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:40 PM »
The YQ may not be hefty but the quantity of points is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ranhan429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:30 AM »
Re read what I posted:
Total fees & taxes for round trip in LY F is $352.32
Total fees & taxes for round trip via AA is ~$75
352.32 - 75 = $277.35

Is that what you'd call hefty??

Don't overreact. Have a good night.

Huh? 350$ +250,000 MR isn't hefty for a free flight (ESP when compared to 90k + 75$ on  AA)?!

OP looking for free flight, that never implies first class (unless specified). I think everyone and their mother agrees El Al not the way to go on that one! Someone is a cranky  ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:32:14 AM by ranhan429 »
כפרות על כפרה

Offline sharabob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 04:57:29 AM »
Yes, a first class ticket can cost between $7K-$10K for NYC-TLV RT or 5,000 points + around $350 in fuel charges. Which is why it is usually cheaper to get an F bonus ticket on El Al than a paid ticket.

BUT - there's a well known secret that you can buy 100% of the points you're missing for a ticket at $1 per point which makes a paid F ticket come out to ~$5,350 in cash. The only difference between a ticket purchased with points (even if it's through purchased points) as upposed to cash is that this ticket won't EARN more points + it doesn't include a driver to take you back and forth from the airport.

I think you will find that it is easier to earn $5,000 in cash backs than it is to earn 5,000 El Al points. Plus assuming you want SOME flexibility and don't want to be locked in to just utilizing for F (other classes can be less cost effective in points than in cash + availability is a painful issue), you're way way better off with cash.

I have around 7,000 LY points and have been trying to get a C ticket for June for the past few weeks and am on endless waiting lists. I would much prefer to be sitting on $7,000 in cash and purchase the tickets (I would have probably had much more than $7,000 with the right cash back card for the same spend that got me the 7,000 points). Again, unlike F, tickets in Y and C are usually cheaper in $ than in points + fuel (when you consider each point $1).

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
I rate Matmid at .60¢ each

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
Yes, a first class ticket can cost between $7K-$10K for NYC-TLV RT or 5,000 points + around $350 in fuel charges. Which is why it is usually cheaper to get an F bonus ticket on El Al than a paid ticket.

BUT - there's a well known secret that you can buy 100% of the points you're missing for a ticket at $1 per point which makes a paid F ticket come out to ~$5,350 in cash. The only difference between a ticket purchased with points (even if it's through purchased points) as upposed to cash is that this ticket won't EARN more points + it doesn't include a driver to take you back and forth from the airport.

I think you will find that it is easier to earn $5,000 in cash backs than it is to earn 5,000 El Al points. Plus assuming you want SOME flexibility and don't want to be locked in to just utilizing for F (other classes can be less cost effective in points than in cash + availability is a painful issue), you're way way better off with cash.

I have around 7,000 LY points and have been trying to get a C ticket for June for the past few weeks and am on endless waiting lists. I would much prefer to be sitting on $7,000 in cash and purchase the tickets (I would have probably had much more than $7,000 with the right cash back card for the same spend that got me the 7,000 points). Again, unlike F, tickets in Y and C are usually cheaper in $ than in points + fuel (when you consider each point $1).
The reason why you can't find LY C tickets availability is because they're bookable with AA miles which - as a result - 1) opens it up for AAdvantage members who grab it before you have a chance, and 2) allows for some to do unfair practices. Period.

But you agree for someone looking to fly direct in first class from LA/NY to TLV, that Matmid is a good and the only option.

Offline The Guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »

;D

Sometimes it's worth using amax MR and transfer to Matmid.
I have amax gold they let me spend a month up to 100k which I could never get to with AAdvantage and with any other cash back card.
So if someone asks a question about ELAL it's not always pusel,so what if they charge a lot of points? especially that they have twice a year (beginning and end) 20% bonus when transferring to Matmid.

Offline justanotherguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
I know the info is prob avail on the website but as of now its down due to maintenance (and so is chase UR website...)

if I want to transfer from chase UR to Matmid, what ratio would I get?