Author Topic: Capital one help  (Read 2427 times)

Offline MamaRochel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Capital one help
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
A friend of mine has an organization for special children and she asked me if there is any way they can use these points- They are from Capital one and they thought of selling but heard they are not valuable. Can I use them towards travel? On which airline? I really appreciate all your help. They need flights from FLL to EWR.

Congratulations! As of October 15, 2013, you have 112,932 miles you can use to erase the cost of a past travel purchase using Purchase Eraser®.

Using Purchase Eraser is fast, easy, and convenient. Within 90 days of making a travel-related purchase with your Capital One® business card, redeem your miles for an account credit for the purchase price. It’s like paying yourself back for traveling!

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Capital one help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
A friend of mine has an organization for special children and she asked me if there is any way they can use these points- They are from Capital one and they thought of selling but heard they are not valuable. Can I use them towards travel? On which airline? I really appreciate all your help. They need flights from FLL to EWR.

Congratulations! As of October 15, 2013, you have 112,932 miles you can use to erase the cost of a past travel purchase using Purchase Eraser®.

Using Purchase Eraser is fast, easy, and convenient. Within 90 days of making a travel-related purchase with your Capital One® business card, redeem your miles for an account credit for the purchase price. It’s like paying yourself back for traveling!
CapitalOne points can only be used for travel at a rate of 1 cent/point, which gives these a value of $1,129.32. As mentioned in your post, to use them you would pay for a regular flight with (specifically) this CapitalOne credit card, and then use the points to get a statement credit for the amount you spent.

Offline MamaRochel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
Thank you so much for giving me this information-Can I book tickets with these on Jetblue? Thank you so much.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
Thank you so much for giving me this information-Can I book tickets with these on Jetblue? Thank you so much.
Again, CapitalOne points are not used to book tickets. You book the tickets however you want, pay for them with this CapitalOne credit card, and then use the points to get a statement credit for the amount you spent.

Offline MamaRochel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
Sorry- Got it now. So I can book airfare on any travel site and then I contact Capital one and have them apply those points towards the statement? Thanks

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
Sorry- Got it now. So I can book airfare on any travel site and then I contact Capital one and have them apply those points towards the statement? Thanks
Correct. You also don't have to call CapitalOne, you can do it on their website.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
And make sure the charge on the card is not more than the amount you can pay off with the points.
You can't just pay a portion of a purchase with points.
So if the total price is higher you might want to divide it in a few separate transactions.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Heimish

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
There's some more information you need to know with CO, they do not give you 1 cent per point and they have a table of how many points they charge you for the credit.

For travel that costs up to $150 they will take 15,000 points
For travel that costs from $150.01 - $350 they will take 35,000 points
For travel that costs from $350.01 - $600 they will take 60,000    
Anything over $600 100 points per dollar

As you can see if you make a purchase of $151 you will be charged 35,000 points! So be sure to charge either $150, $350 or $600 and over.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:42:07 AM by Heimish »

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
You can get 1 cent per point and be limited to the table crap.
They recently changed their program and removed the table.
If it the old program still shows up in your account, call them up and they'll manually change it.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Heimish

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
Hey thanks for that information, I just called them and had them upgrade my account, it also changes the amount they charge for gift cards they used to charge 7000 for a $50 card and now it's 5000 so now I can use the rewards on things other than travel.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
anyone have a cap one bank that they can't login to right now? Mine keeps saying online banking session has timed out.

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Rep says I cant downgrade my oldest card to a no annual fee card. Is that true? I shouldnt close my oldest card right?

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Rep says I cant downgrade my oldest card to a no annual fee card. Is that true? I shouldnt close my oldest card right?
That's not so cut and dry. It depends on several other factors, like how old is the next oldest card you have, and how many old accounts do you have other than that, etc.

The point is you should try and keep your average account age at a decent number of years.