Author Topic: Arizona/Utah/Colorado trip  (Read 3264 times)

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Arizona/Utah/Colorado trip
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:31 AM »
I figured instead of having everything cross posted in 3 different threads I would just make 1.

I'm trying to put together a trip for the Grand Canyon, Utah and Colorado. I'm not sure what are the sights/areas I should be targeting are. I would fly from NYC on Aug. 10 to either AZ or CO, drive though and fly back to NY before Shabbos.

The questions (as of now) are:
How long do I need at the Grand Canyon and is there anything else in the area?
What is there to do in Utah? So far I know about Bryce, Zion and Arches Nat'l parks. How would you rank them and how much time do I need to do them?
What is there to do in CO?
I'm traveling with my wife and 1 and a half year old so big hikes are out.
Also any info on kosher food (hoping against the odds) and hotels that I can transfer UR points to in those areas.

Thank you!

Offline Allune

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona/Utah/Colorado trip
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »
I figured instead of having everything cross posted in 3 different threads I would just make 1.

I'm trying to put together a trip for the Grand Canyon, Utah and Colorado. I'm not sure what are the sights/areas I should be targeting are. I would fly from NYC on Aug. 10 to either AZ or CO, drive though and fly back to NY before Shabbos.

What is there to do in Utah? So far I know about Bryce, Zion and Arches Nat'l parks. How would you rank them and how much time do I need to do them?
Also any info on kosher food (hoping against the odds) and hotels that I can transfer UR points to in those areas.

Thank you!

I'm actually flying into Vegas on next week Thursday. Sleeping there for the night. Friday morning, I'm driving through to Scottsdale.
Stopping over at hoover dam, the skywalk at the Grand Canyon, and then Sedona.

For me, this was the best route. For you, the best route may be the northern rim of grand Canyon.

Lastly, it's at the meeting point of the 4 states (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New) -  it's called the 4 corners monument. Google it. Very cool.

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »

Thank you!
Doing all this in less than a week is pretty eager, If you want to go to the Grand Canyon and the parks in Utah, I would leave out CO. You can spend a few days just in Zion but most of the activities to do there are hikes.
In Bryce you can take a horse back ride through he canyon; a great way to view Bryce with out hiking (not sure if it'll work with a 1 and a half year old).
Iirc Arches really cool but only worth it if  you hike. There's also canyonlands in Utah which is magnificent, I don't recall there being much hiking there but I can be mistaken.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
The Jewish community in Denver (only Orthodox one in CO IINM) is very far from the four corners like 7 hour drive. Don't count on Kosher food from CO's side of the equation.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
Doing all this in less than a week is pretty eager, If you want to go to the Grand Canyon and the parks in Utah, I would leave out CO. You can spend a few days just in Zion but most of the activities to do there are hikes.
In Bryce you can take a horse back ride through he canyon; a great way to view Bryce with out hiking (not sure if it'll work with a 1 and a half year old).
Iirc Arches really cool but only worth it if  you hike. There's also canyonlands in Utah which is magnificent, I don't recall there being much hiking there but I can be mistaken.
+1 I would do GC, Bryce and Zion and call it a week. Even that will be tough to squeeze in
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline penina

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »

it depends where you stay in Utah or Co. If you stay int he mountains like Vail, Beaver Creek Aspen etc you will find chairlifts, biking alpine slides etc. You can also stay in park City Utah which is about 45 min from the airport. Kosher food is only available in Park City in the winter

Thank you!

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!

I thought it would be like Switzerland where even if you aren't hiking you can still take in beautiful and unique scenery. I'm looking to do more of a relaxing trip than real camping/hiking. For that I don't know if I need to spend so much time in each place.

Is Bryce just a canyon? Is there a point to going if I'm going to the Grand Canyon?
What are the places to go in CO? Should I go there instead of UT?
@Sport Have you been to Arches that you know it's only worthwhile if hiking?

Offline oiseli48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
I know the Chabad Shliach in Flagstaff, AZ sells kosher meals for Grand Canyon visotors

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »

I thought it would be like Switzerland where even if you aren't hiking you can still take in beautiful and unique scenery. I'm looking to do more of a relaxing trip than real camping/hiking. For that I don't know if I need to spend so much time in each place.

Is Bryce just a canyon? Is there a point to going if I'm going to the Grand Canyon?
These places will still be beautiful and enjoyable without major hiking but they are distant from each other. So even if you only spend one day at Bryce, Zions, GC and Arches that would take a week.
Personally I would do canyonlands over Arches.
I have been to Arches and im pretty sure the only way to see anything there is via hike. It's cool but not a must see in mho.   
Bryce is a canyon but an entirely different experience than GC just google it and look at the pictures. As I said, if you could figure a way to take your kid with you, I would do the horse back ride into the canyon.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

I know the Chabad Shliach in Flagstaff, AZ sells kosher meals for Grand Canyon visotors
CMIIW but if he's going to the north rim, I don't think he'll be anywhere near flagstaff.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »

Never been but they say Bryce is  spectacularly beautiful and a totally different experience than the amazing size if grand canyon (which while certainly breath-taking is most certainly not beautiful)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »

Never been but they say Bryce is  spectacularly beautiful and a totally different experience than the amazing size if grand canyon (which while certainly breath-taking is most certainly not beautiful)
+100 That's what I was trying to say.  And I've been to both more than once.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
As someone whose been to all the places you mentioned a few times both with and without wife/kids. Here is my recommendation: doing all that in a week is nearly impossible...and you won't feel like I did anything really (because you'll be running from place to place and not getting much sleep!) just the driving alone based on what you want to do will end up being many many hours! I would say either do Arizona/Utah or Colorado. Personally I think based on your situation it would be a lot more enjoyable to do a leisurely trip in Colorado if u have a one and a half year old. There is plenty you can do in Colorado Springs,Denver,Rocky mt national park, vail, etc.... Plus if your based out of Denver you have kosher options....

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
Is it practical to drive to all these places from Denver everyday? What is there to do?

Offline penina

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Is it practical to drive to all these places from Denver everyday? What is there to do?
Vail is a 2 hour drive from Denver. If you stay in Denver you will have a zoo children's museum etc but you will be in the city.
If you want to stay in the mountains like Vail or beaver creek you will have chairlift biking hiking boating alpine slides etc. But there is no kosher food there. We took along pomegranate meals when we were there

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 08:47:32 PM »
Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell all pretty close together. You can spend 1 day in each. Rent a speedboat for 4 hours on Lake Powell.

http://www.lakepowell.com/

Offline chani21

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
Vail is a 2 hour drive from Denver. If you stay in Denver you will have a zoo children's museum etc but you will be in the city.
If you want to stay in the mountains like Vail or beaver creek you will have chairlift biking hiking boating alpine slides etc. But there is no kosher food there. We took along pomegranate meals when we were there

I believe the deli in denver will deliver to the mountains or you can always pick up food and bring it with you.

Offline penina

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
I believe the deli in denver will deliver to the mountains or you can always pick up food and bring it with you.
the deli in denver will ship and the stuff will usually get there the next day

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »
I've been to CO AZ and UT a few times and IMO to do all three in a week is a lot of driving to do with a baby. I would do either CO-UT or AZ-UT. Have you been to any of them? If it would be my first time I would stay in Denver for kosher food and take a 3 day trip to see Bryce and Zion.