Author Topic: Chabad Lag B'Omer Parade Ban  (Read 12368 times)

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad Lag B'Omer Parade
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
Can we get an English version of that flyer
Very liberal translation:

An organization (Lubavitch) is making on Lag Baomer a Lag Ba’omer parade –
And they are making propaganda to get heimeshe kids to come – but it is an event that is Ain ruach chachomim noche heimenu.
We request that you don’t let our kids attend.
Hashem should help that the zechus of Rashbi should protect us, so we can be mechanech our children to hashem and his torah.

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
Keep in mind that this is for the Boro Park parade,  not the crown Heights one.  The CH one is obvious they wouldn't go,  but boro Park I'm sure will "cater to their clientele"

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
Curiosity made the cat smarter.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
This is nothing to do with hate.
There are very strong hashkafik disagreements between many sects and chabad. (-really?!  ;) ) For whatever reason, Chabad always had an interest in selling/trying to influence others to their derech and hashkafa. -Arguably this is what the parade idea was all about.- Satmar and others are entitled to raise their kids al pi their derech without the kids having undue influence from other mehalchim. When I was growing up, we were also warned very strongly not to go near the chabad parades which were designed to entertain and entice kids....

Not trying to start a chabad bashing fest, I just don't think that satmar is so out of line here at all.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
There are very strong hashkafik disagreements between many sects and chabad. (-really?!  ;) ) For whatever reason, Chabad always had an interest in selling/trying to influence others to their derech and hashkafa. -Arguably this is what the parade idea was all about.- Satmar and others are entitled to raise their kids al pi their derech without the kids having undue influence from other mehalchim. When I was growing up, we were also warned very strongly not to go near the chabad parades which were designed to entertain and entice kids....

Not trying to start a chabad bashing fest, I just don't think that satmar is so out of line here at all.
While you may have a point on the letter, the phone call was way out of line...

Besides, the Lashon Ein Ruach Chachomim Nocha, doesn't imply "they have different Hashkafos from us" it implies "Those guys are wrong! You don't want your kids looking like them..."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:25:15 PM by Achas Veachas »

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
While you may have a point on the letter, the phone call was way out of line...

Besides, the Lashon Ein Ruach Chachomim Nocha, doesn't imply "they have different Hashkafos from us" it implies "Those guys are wrong! You don't want your kids looking like them..."
usually when there's a strong difference in opinion one will think the other ones very wrong... this has been true throughout history. The be is mikdash was destroyed bc of " baseless" hatred

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
usually when there's a strong difference in opinion one will think the other ones very wrong... this has been true throughout history. The be is mikdash was destroyed bc of " baseless" hatred
Yet Talmidey Rabbi Akiva died because לא נהגו כבוד זה בזה Which most Meforshim explain that they didn't respect each others' differences in opinions...

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

Well said!

Satmar unfortunately had their bad experience with chabad when one of their teachers was caught influencing his students to join chabad. They respect chabad very much, but they have a right to shelter their young children from leaving their Mesorah.

I don't want to start a fight here but attempts to influence children from another sect to join your ranks is nothing better than a missionary.
Car Rentals in Israel - http://www.rechev.rentals/

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
Yet Talmidey Rabbi Akiva died because לא נהגו כבוד זה בזה Which most Meforshim explain that they didn't respect each others' differences in opinions...
there are many differences... and I wasn't trying to imply this case was appropriate. Was just saying that if the opinion is truly לשם שמים It's not necessarily a bad thing to feel others are really wrong

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
Well said!

Satmar unfortunately had their bad experience with chabad when one of their teachers was caught influencing his students to join chabad. They respect chabad very much, but they have a right to shelter their young children from leaving their Mesorah.

I don't want to start a fight here but attempts to influence children from another sect to join your ranks is nothing better than a missionary.

I heard that in order for kids to be allowed into the parade, they have to snip off their long Peyos, and speak in Ivrit...

/sarc

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

Is that right?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
Is that right?

First I'm hearing of it.
I mean there have been some people that learned Tanya with others, but otherwise that's a bunch of hooey.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
First I'm hearing of it.
I mean there have been some people that learned Tanya with others, but otherwise that's a bunch of hooey.

I'm not chabad so I can't give a real knowledgable thought but from any interaction or experiences I ever had I never felt that way.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Quite frankly, one of the stupider lies about Chabad I've ever heard.  Trying to get other kids to become Chabad?
If they're not frum we would love to make them frum, but other than that I've never seen in many years in many cities across the world.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
I think churnbabychurn is confusing chabad's very strong emphasis on outreach to non-observant Jews, vs. trying to influence other frum sects to join chabad mesorah.

ETA: I see Dan just said the same thing  right before I posted.