Author Topic: Chabad Lag B'Omer Parade Ban  (Read 22192 times)

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad Lag B'Omer Parade
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
While you may have a point on the letter, the phone call was way out of line...

Besides, the Lashon Ein Ruach Chachomim Nocha, doesn't imply "they have different Hashkafos from us" it implies "Those guys are wrong! You don't want your kids looking like them..."
usually when there's a strong difference in opinion one will think the other ones very wrong... this has been true throughout history. The be is mikdash was destroyed bc of " baseless" hatred

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
usually when there's a strong difference in opinion one will think the other ones very wrong... this has been true throughout history. The be is mikdash was destroyed bc of " baseless" hatred
Yet Talmidey Rabbi Akiva died because לא נהגו כבוד זה בזה Which most Meforshim explain that they didn't respect each others' differences in opinions...

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
This is nothing to do with hate.
There are very strong hashkafik disagreements between many sects and chabad. (-really?!  ;) ) For whatever reason, Chabad always had an interest in selling/trying to influence others to their derech and hashkafa. -Arguably this is what the parade idea was all about.- Satmar and others are entitled to raise their kids al pi their derech without the kids having undue influence from other mehalchim. When I was growing up, we were also warned very strongly not to go near the chabad parades which were designed to entertain and entice kids....

Not trying to start a chabad bashing fest, I just don't think that satmar is so out of line here at all.
Well said!

Satmar unfortunately had their bad experience with chabad when one of their teachers was caught influencing his students to join chabad. They respect chabad very much, but they have a right to shelter their young children from leaving their Mesorah.

I don't want to start a fight here but attempts to influence children from another sect to join your ranks is nothing better than a missionary.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
Yet Talmidey Rabbi Akiva died because לא נהגו כבוד זה בזה Which most Meforshim explain that they didn't respect each others' differences in opinions...
there are many differences... and I wasn't trying to imply this case was appropriate. Was just saying that if the opinion is truly לשם שמים It's not necessarily a bad thing to feel others are really wrong

Online zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
Well said!

Satmar unfortunately had their bad experience with chabad when one of their teachers was caught influencing his students to join chabad. They respect chabad very much, but they have a right to shelter their young children from leaving their Mesorah.

I don't want to start a fight here but attempts to influence children from another sect to join your ranks is nothing better than a missionary.

I heard that in order for kids to be allowed into the parade, they have to snip off their long Peyos, and speak in Ivrit...

/sarc

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
This is nothing to do with hate.
There are very strong hashkafik disagreements between many sects and chabad. (-really?!  ;) ) For whatever reason, Chabad always had an interest in selling/trying to influence others to their derech and hashkafa. -Arguably this is what the parade idea was all about.- Satmar and others are entitled to raise their kids al pi their derech without the kids having undue influence from other mehalchim. When I was growing up, we were also warned very strongly not to go near the chabad parades which were designed to entertain and entice kids....

Not trying to start a chabad bashing fest, I just don't think that satmar is so out of line here at all.

Is that right?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
Is that right?

First I'm hearing of it.
I mean there have been some people that learned Tanya with others, but otherwise that's a bunch of hooey.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
First I'm hearing of it.
I mean there have been some people that learned Tanya with others, but otherwise that's a bunch of hooey.

I'm not chabad so I can't give a real knowledgable thought but from any interaction or experiences I ever had I never felt that way.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Quite frankly, one of the stupider lies about Chabad I've ever heard.  Trying to get other kids to become Chabad?
If they're not frum we would love to make them frum, but other than that I've never seen in many years in many cities across the world.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
I think churnbabychurn is confusing chabad's very strong emphasis on outreach to non-observant Jews, vs. trying to influence other frum sects to join chabad mesorah.

ETA: I see Dan just said the same thing  right before I posted.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
First I'm hearing of it.
+1
I'm not Chabad, but from being around them for quite some time in the summer and on a shabbos, USUALLY the extent of it was trying to get us to learn tanya with them.
With every conversation though, some fascinating (unbelievable) stories of the rebbe would always come up. As well as how chabad does great work.....
 I wouldn't really consider that trying to "lure" us in.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:39:24 PM by Crazy tools »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
Some folks are willing to accept any L"H they hear about Chabad as truth, the juicier the better.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
+1
I'm not Chabad, but from being around them for quite some time in the summer and on a shabbos, USUALLY the extent of it was trying to get us to learn tanya with them.
With every conversation though, some fascinating (unbelievable) stories of the rebbe would always come up. As well as how chabad does great work.....
 I wouldn't really consider that trying to lure us in.

Because nobody's trying to "lure" in anyone already frum.
Learning Tanya or a sicha isn't trying to lure someone in either.  They happen to be enjoyable to learn with a different flavor, at least it was for me coming from a litvak elementary school to a chabad high school.

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
I too, am not Chabad but many of my relatives and friends are... I have yet to see such a thing happen. My experience has only been positive non-missionary type of relationships.

As an aside, I work for a Kiruv organization and so many of our students come through Chabad first... The work they do is incredible and there are never hard feelings with Chabad about "stealing" students the way there are with other organizations. It's very much a let's work together to make people frum attitude.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
Because nobody's trying to "lure" in anyone already frum.
Learning Tanya or a sicha isn't trying to lure someone in either.  They happen to be enjoyable to learn with a different flavor, at least it was for me coming from a litvak elementary school to a chabad high school.
Just to clarify. That's what I meant. I don't feel that learning tanya is because they're trying to be "missionary"

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
+1
 I wouldn't really consider that trying to lure us in.
Trying to get someone to learn Chassidus ≠ trying to make someone Chabad.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
I think this conversion is moving into the locked Chabad thread....

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
Yes chabad tries to get people to learn chassidus.
But not to convert

When there were satmar or yerushalmi or others that became chabad,  the Rebbe told them to keep their levush.

I just find it interesting that they're told to stay away from parades and other things.  But when they're traveling and need chabad.... All of the sudden hakol beseder
When they have a relative out in the boondocks,  chabad is once again in the good books

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
Yes chabad tries to get people to learn chassidus.
But not to convert

When there were satmar or yerushalmi or others that became chabad,  the Rebbe told them to keep their levush.

I just find it interesting that they're told to stay away from parades and other things.  But when they're traveling and need chabad.... All of the sudden hakol beseder
When they have a relative out in the boondocks,  chabad is once again in the good books

+1M
And not even talking about those who come to eat a meal at a Chabad house and sit there bashing Chabad as they eat (seen with my own eyes)...

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad Lag B'Omer Parade Ban
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
Chabad believe that the rest of klal Yisroel are missing out on what they call the "penimius hatorah". If they really think that everyone else is seriously lacking in Torah and yiddishkeit, the next logical conclusion is, that a chabadsker that is a real ohev Yisroel should attempt to be mekarev kerovim.
This theory is backed up by years of circumstantial evidence.
They clearly have a mission of " uforatzto " etc to spread their version of chassidus... They talk about it all the time. Even here on Ddf! Those people who offer to learn "chassidus" with you are just doing uforatzto.

If this what chabad teaches and you believe in it, why deny it... Embrace it!
I personally respect the sentiment. But I also respect satmars right to say no thanks.