Author Topic: Why is Jewish Day School tuition so high?  (Read 11170 times)

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Jewish Day School tuition so high?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »
Jewish teachers get free tuition for their kids. That probably exceeds the public schools benefits...

Not always true

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
True.
But it can also be accomplished even for one school.
Lower tuition to a level that 90% can afford, eliminate all scholarships, and get backers to create a fund for those who are truly in need.
The people paying full now would be thrilled to donate large sums of money that's tax-deductible and counts as maiser l'chol hadayos.

Seems like a no-brainer. Why is noone trying it?
This has been done in Chicago to some degree with the creation of the Kehila Fund. Though they haven't lowered the tuition, they upped the min. tuition and anyone deemed worthy/needy can get additional funds from the Kehila Fund.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
This has been done in Chicago to some degree with the creation of the Kehila Fund. Though they haven't lowered the tuition, they upped the min. tuition and anyone deemed worthy/needy can get additional funds from the Kehila Fund.

So how has it helped the average struggling family...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Not really the same thing.

It's embarrassing for folks that have a real job to have to open their books and make the case for a break.
Lower the tuition to the actual cost if everyone paid the same amount and then let the well off donate to help those in need.
Seems like a win for most everyone.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
Not 100% on topic but I also think it would be very helpful for anyone who isn't paying tuition to have to meet with a financial advisor offered by the school.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
Not really the same thing.

It's embarrassing for folks that have a real job to have to open their books and make the case for a break.
Lower the tuition to the actual cost if everyone paid the same amount and then let the well off donate to help those in need.
Seems like a win for most everyone.
assuming that the well off are always thrilled to donate to the local mosad...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »
If you tell them their tuition will go down from $12K to $6K per kid and that they can directly help fund a much needed scholarship fund with tax-deductible maiser dollars, I think most would respond generously.

I mean if it's true that just ~5% is paying full anyway and the rest have to grovel for a break, what is there to lose?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »
Very good op-ed on the tuition crisis.

http://jstandard.com/content/item/putting_our_money_where_our_mouths_are/28821
Wow, that's really interesting. Seems much better than all the calls for schools to somehow "figure out" how to cut costs. I mean, I agree that schools should rethink whether kindergarten really needs 4 teachers for 15 kids, but how much is that really going to save a school? This proposal is going to affect the long-term financial education crisis.

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
They pay for Public School for the masses (assuming they have big/nice properties), why not Yeshiva also?

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
They pay for Public School for the masses (assuming they have big/nice properties), why not Yeshiva also?
For public school / property taxes they have no choice....

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
because they all are just itching to pay property taxes and would never vote to lower them:-\

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, BonvoyPlat Feb2021
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »
Not 100% on topic but I also think it would be very helpful for anyone who isn't paying tuition to have to meet with a financial advisor offered by the school.
Great idea!
I also think that after paying full price/minimum for 2-3 children, then the rest are free.
This would show that children are a bracha, and not a 'financial burden'.

In my day as a student, most parents had to share one car to be able to afford tuition.
Many families (without a job, or a one-parent job) spend a total of $1,000+ monthly on car#2,
 2 iPhones, cableTV, karate lessons, music lessons, kids' phones/iPads, and sometimes pet food, combined, yet there is zero $ at the end of the month for any tuition payments at all.
The result is that the FT teachers receive low salaries and no health insurance, etc....

A good theory would be to add up those types of add-ons,
make a minimum monthly payment of those total luxuries
and that amount goes to tuition as well. If people cannot afford both, then maybe they'll need to chose between 2+ smartphones and quality chinuch.
Amazon Prime Calif Gourmet Chocolate Chips http://bit.ly/FREEoneDayShipping3PKChocolateChips

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »
They already do for yeshivas. It's called artificially high full tuition. 
And all that benefits is the government as tuition is post-tax dollars as opposed to donations which are pre-tax dollars.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
imho its not lower tuition we need to invest in but quality education! schools often are nothing more than places kids are watched and hopefully learn social interaction with peers.

when we tackle schools are places to nurture little people and grow them to big people then this is a casus belli. on this board I may get attacked for my spelling or lack thereof but so what, learning good spelling, grammar and punctuation are hardly the tools to equipped students to succeed in life, you will not make a better spouse because you can spell better.

I do not understand the age grade level, its like we punish a kid for not being good at gemarah, why ? maybe he is the next chagal and simply hasent got the head. or desire ? but that does not mean he is a lackadaisical student, he could thrive in philosophy, nach, halacha or any thing.

I think students should get personality tests to determine what they would excell at academically and emotionally / personality.

I think we should reward not punish, seek to help these little people grow not stuff them with knowledge and facts.

I could have done much better with discussions on existence rather than learning Tanya etc its a belief I know many hold that the riggid education system must give way and there are schools with radical changes to the old system 

Offline GAJ2303

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »

As the administrator of a school I can say that the main reason tuition is so high is because the majority of parents don't pay full tuition and even those parents who get breaks don't pay what they promise. So we are left with very large deficit gaps. We need to inflate the prices so those who can afford full will offset those who don't pay. Also if we ask a parent who doesn't have much to give for 15k a year we might get 6-7 but if we only ask for 10 we only get 4-5.

Do parents paying full tuition receive a donation letter for their portion that covers scholarships?