Author Topic: How Should One Handle Mileage/Points Mistake in Your Favor  (Read 620 times)

Offline coffee18

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, occasional poster. My question is: How should I handle when the hotel stay mishandled a points transaction in my favor?

I recently stayed 4 nights P&C and 2 nights via Chase Hyatt certs at a Hyatt Cat 6. A few months ago, I applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade to the P&C portion of reservation and the Hyatt CS rep accidentally refunded the 12,500 pts/night from the P&C. I'm assuming this happened because the reservation that previously listed as "Points & Cash" ended up listing as "Hyatt Daily Rate" after my call, even though the P&C cash rate of $150 remained the same.

During the stay, hotel had to merge my reservations (since it lists 3 separate stays: P&C, Chase Hyatt Cert #1, Chase Hyatt Cert #2), and in turn somehow turned all my nights into award nights. I ended up paying 0 points, 0 dollars for the stay, and paid only for valet and room service. I only glanced at the bill at checkout and the given my valet/room service charges, didn't bat an eye and simply had them charge the card on the reservation, so I didn't realize until I returned home. So my questions really are:

1. Beyond the ethical implications, what are the chances Hyatt discovers and corrects the error down the road? How stringent is their auditing?
2. Is there anything to be gained by informing Hyatt now if they are stringent enough to detect this?
3. Does anyone have a similar story to share and how did you handle?

Thanks. If I outed too much info here that could be a detriment to folks, feel free to delete.