Topic Wiki

I believe our (dis)honorable POTUS deserves to be sticking on top...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump inactive

Author Topic: The Funny/strange/interesting/random Tweets Thread  (Read 534476 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: The Funny/strange/interesting/random Tweets Thread
« Reply #1742 on: July 19, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Forget the Orthodox aspect of that show; it's about as "real" as her hair. "Reality" tv at its worst.

This thread sums up the utter scripted trash that this show is.
That sounds fair - she can be OTD and recognize/feel/perceive negative aspects of frum life, but any issues she has are with isues that exist, at least in her perception, not imaginary/nonsensical ones.
Her father and brothers sat behind me in shul when I was growing up. I remember her existence and was friends with her brother. There was a large gap between her and her siblings who were born in America. Such a sweet family. The shul was not the most yeshivish in Monsey by any stretch of the imagination with most of the fathers college educated and a mix of all types with families sending their children to ASHAR, YSV, and a handful to bias mikro. None further right than that. any framing of insulated ultra orthodox is a bunch of bunk.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1743 on: July 19, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
Her father and brothers sat behind me in shul when I was growing up. I remember her existence and was friends with her brother. There was a large gap between her and her siblings who were born in America. Such a sweet family. The shul was not the most yeshivish in Monsey by any stretch of the imagination with most of the fathers college educated and a mix of all types with families sending their children to ASHAR, YSV, and a handful to bias mikro. None further right than that. any framing of insulated ultra orthodox is a bunch of bunk.

I don't believe she's framing her opinions based on her personal upbringing, but rather her knowledge of that world from a view that is more inside than most of the world.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 19, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
I don't believe she's framing her opinions based on her personal upbringing, but rather her knowledge of that world from a view that is more inside than most of the world.
There are definitely people quoting the show as representing her schooling as barely teaching English. I can tell you that there are classmates of hers who went straight from high school to regular and possibly ivy league colleges.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1745 on: July 19, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »

This is a quote:

https://twitter.com/ayilbasvach/status/1415117393559498754

There has not been this kind of pushback to any other such show or book, and I think this is why. She is quite clearly lying and appropriating other people's struggles to get herself a show on Netflix. Others may have suffered and had tremendous difficulties with frum life, but she comes off as a narcissistic liar who'll manipulate and control anyone and anything to get what she wants, which is clearly not a truthful expression of her life's story.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 19, 2021, 11:05:03 AM »
By gap - you mean age gap. (To clarify). My mother taught her in Bais Yaakov - and she remembers her being a regular, normal (albeit very bright and talented) girl.

ETA: my mother taught a college level course in BY.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:15:17 AM by Euclid »

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 19, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »
This is a quote:

There has not been this kind of pushback to any other such show or book, and I think this is why. She is quite clearly lying and appropriating other people's struggles to get herself a show on Netflix. Others may have suffered and had tremendous difficulties with frum life, but she comes off as a narcissistic liar who'll manipulate and control anyone and anything to get what she wants, which is clearly not a truthful expression of her life's story.
1000%
She's like Rachel Dolezal. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1748 on: July 19, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »

Sorry, for some reason I thought the posts were referencing the OTD Twitter commentator, not the show itself. Re the show, it's a reality show. That should give it all the context anyone needs.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 19, 2021, 11:14:28 AM »
This is a quote:

There absolutely were radios in the house. TVs unlikely, decent chance of newspapers. Her oldest sibling is at least 8 years younger than her and the first few are boys so her not having her own room isn't true either.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 19, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
There absolutely were radios in the house. TVs unlikely, decent chance of newspapers. Her oldest sibling is at least 8 years younger than her and the first few are boys so her not having her own room isn't true either.

BREAKING: Attention seeking reality star wannabe makes sh!t up to get own show! Experts believe this is the first time this has happened, express shock and dismay. Producers immediately sign contract for additional 3 seasons.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1751 on: July 19, 2021, 11:19:13 AM »
How about women not being allowed to drive? Women not allowed to play sports. Women not allowed to learn gemara and many other sforim?

ETA - All claims she made about her upbringing.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1752 on: July 19, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
BREAKING: Attention seeking reality star wannabe makes sh!t up to get own show! Experts believe this is the first time this has happened, express shock and dismay. Producers immediately sign contract for additional 3 seasons.
Add on Mother who wants reality show isn't the best at parenting.

And you nailed it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 19, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »
How about women not being allowed to drive? False.

Women not allowed to play sports.  False. Maybe not in a men's league, but definitely allowed to play sports. There was even girls hours at local gyms - Kakiat etc.

Women not allowed to learn gemara and many other sforim? Partially false - they definitely learn agadata in BY of Monsey.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 19, 2021, 11:23:07 AM »
Sorry, for some reason I thought the posts were referencing the OTD Twitter commentator, not the show itself. Re the show, it's a reality show. That should give it all the context anyone needs.
Only for someone to whom the label gives context. I am happily not one of those people.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: July 19, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »
Problem is that Yaffed et.al are parading this around as a documentary.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1756 on: July 19, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »

As true as this is, you know that's not how the average person watches reality TV. They'll think it is dramatized, sure, but the stuff she's saying about the Joos is true. We would do the same for a show about any other culture we don't know much about.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 19, 2021, 11:25:21 AM »
Only for someone to whom the label gives context. I am happily not one of those people.

How about this for context: OTD people have been making things up about the inner workings of the frum world since before yetzias Mitzrayim. Ain davar chadash...

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
How about women not being allowed to drive? Women not allowed to play sports. Women not allowed to learn gemara and many other sforim?

ETA - All claims she made about her upbringing.
I guarantee you that she got her driver's license right about when she became eligible together with the rest of her class.

She definitely had gym class in high school and they played sports.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 19, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »
Problem is that Yaffed et.al are parading this around as a documentary.
As true as this is, you know that's not how the average person watches reality TV. They'll think it is dramatized, sure, but the stuff she's saying about the Joos is true. We would do the same for a show about any other culture we don't know much about.

So people will believe this like they believe the hole in the sheet. Those who want to know will ask, and most everybody else doesn't matter.