Topic Wiki

I believe our (dis)honorable POTUS deserves to be sticking on top...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump inactive

Author Topic: The Funny/strange/interesting/random Tweets Thread  (Read 534282 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: The Funny/strange/interesting/random Tweets Thread
« Reply #1760 on: July 19, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
How about this for context: OTD people have been making things up about the inner workings of the frum world since before yetzias Mitzrayim. Ain davar chadash...
I did not express shock over it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1761 on: July 19, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
I did not express shock over it.

I know. I just don't get why every time the outside world puts out some sort of production about us based on "inside info" (movie, documentary, reality show, etc.), we take it apart like they ever had a chance to get it right. We're a freak show to them, and always will be. Perception isn't changing.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1762 on: July 19, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
I know. I just don't get why every time the outside world puts out some sort of production about us based on "inside info" (movie, documentary, reality show, etc.), we take it apart like they ever had a chance to get it right. We're a freak show to them, and always will be. Perception isn't changing.
Sure it is, it's getting much worse.

This is one of the highest profile "exposes" on frum life.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1763 on: July 19, 2021, 11:35:19 AM »
Sure it is, it's getting much worse.

This is one of the highest profile "exposes" on frum life.

Worse than what? And how? People will believe we're primitive and insular?

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 19, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »

"Primitive" being a bigger concern than "insular."

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1765 on: July 19, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
Most people have no idea what frum life is like. Now they are being told it's the same fundamentalism as extremist Muslims. And think the 2 are the same.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1766 on: July 19, 2021, 11:37:36 AM »
So people will believe this like they believe the hole in the sheet. Those who want to know will ask, and most everybody else doesn't matter.

I agree with you that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to us. I'm into it more for the jokes on Twitter than anything else. But as @Euclid said, there are people with real harmful goals using this to further their agenda. And Shluchim and people who deal with the secular world are already dealing with people who are taking this show at face value. Like the hole in the sheet, how many people take it as fact and don't ask because they're too shy/awkward, or just assume it to be true anyway? It's far from the biggest issue facing Orthodox Judaism, but it is most certainly going to have somewhat of an effect on some people.

And yes, antisemitism is based on dehumanization. The more we are dehumanized, the more likely we are to be discriminated against. To what extent this show will play a role, none of us can know, but it definitely adds to a sizeable and ever-growing mainstream portrayal of us being "other".

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 19, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »
And yes, antisemitism is based on dehumanization. The more we are dehumanized, the more likely we are to be discriminated against. To what extent this show will play a role, none of us can know, but it definitely adds to a sizeable and ever-growing mainstream portrayal of us being "other".
100%, if someone says these are bad terrible people, and people believe them, it opens the door to attack them. Or have less sympathy if someone else attacks them.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 19, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »
Most people have no idea what frum life is like. Now they are being told it's the same fundamentalism as extremist Muslims. And think the 2 are the same.
And are being told this by the same people who claim the extremist Muslims are great people but the Jews are not.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 19, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »

I'm not sure how anyone is going to equate us with extreme Islam. The show isn't making claims of extreme violence and abuse.

I agree with you that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to us. I'm into it more for the jokes on Twitter than anything else. But as @Euclid said, there are people with real harmful goals using this to further their agenda. And Shluchim and people who deal with the secular world are already dealing with people who are taking this show at face value. Like the hole in the sheet, how many people take it as fact and don't ask because they're too shy/awkward, or just assume it to be true anyway? It's far from the biggest issue facing Orthodox Judaism, but it is most certainly going to have somewhat of an effect on some people.

Regarding the concern about the alienation of other Jews from the frum life, I can understand that. With regards to the "dehumanization," I don't think the show goes to that extreme any more than the Amish shows do, and no one is attacking the Amish because of those shows. (Full disclosure: I haven't seen it and have no intention to. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen here or elsewhere online.)

The reality is, anyone who hasn't interacted with frum people thinks most of these things already. We are "other." What's more, we strive to be "other." As long as the accusations aren't to the level that we are causing harm to the rest of the world, I really don't see why any of it matters.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »
And are being told this by the same people who claim the extremist Muslims are great people but the Jews are not.
No, she says fundamentalism is bad for Muslims as well.

I'm not sure how anyone is going to equate us with extreme Islam. The show isn't making claims of extreme violence and abuse.

That is what she says in the show. Orthodox jews are the same as the Muslims who adhere to fundamentalism etc. (would have to lookup the exact quote) She doesn't mention violence neither did I.

Offline Zalc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
How about women not being allowed to drive? Women not allowed to play sports. Women not allowed to learn gemara and many other sforim?

ETA - All claims she made about her upbringing.
See this link re:sports
https://jewishlink.news/sports/10670-gotham-burger-sportstar-of-the-week-miriam-hendler

Maybe other families didn't let their kids play sports, but her kids did and were celebrated for it.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 19, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »
See this link re:sports
https://jewishlink.news/sports/10670-gotham-burger-sportstar-of-the-week-miriam-hendler

Maybe other families didn't let their kids play sports, but her kids did and were celebrated for it.
And lest detractors say this was only once they became "modern":
What is your earliest sports memory?

My earliest sport memory was when I was around 10 years old and I asked my neighbors if I can play basketball with them, and they said “oh you can’t play with us because you’re a girl.” So I challenged that boy to a one-on-one, and I beat him. Ever since that I was able to play with them.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 19, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »
And lest detractors say this was only once they became "modern":
Note that every single boy her age on her end of a long block was modern orthodox and went to a coed school. Some on the other end went to YSV

ETA ia refereeing to the mother while the article is referring to the daughter.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:36:35 PM by aygart »

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
BREAKING: Attention seeking reality star wannabe makes sh!t up to get own show! Experts believe this is the first time this has happened, express shock and dismay. Producers immediately sign contract for additional 3 seasons.
Are there no attention seeking (former) Muslim women? Of course there are, Netflix will never give them the platform to bash any religion other than Orthodox Judaism.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 19, 2021, 09:38:21 PM »
Are there no attention seeking (former) Muslim women? Of course there are, Netflix will never give them the platform to bash any religion other than Orthodox Judaism.

That's not even remotely true. There are shows about leaving all sorts of communities. Do you think it's possible that the reason not a lot of shows about Muslims who leave are made is because of fear? I can't imagine there's a long line of ex-Muslims who are comfortable putting a target on their backs by being a part of such a show. And I can't imagine most platforms think it's a good business decision to potentially piss off a quarter of the world's population by airing such a show. Orthodox Jews being an easy target isn't anti-Semitism; it's just good business. High upside, little risk. Same with the Amish shows.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 19, 2021, 11:38:16 PM »
Orthodox Jews being an easy target isn't anti-Semitism;

Actually that's the definition of antisemitism.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 19, 2021, 11:54:19 PM »
Actually that's the definition of antisemitism.

We have different definitions of anti-Semitism.