Author Topic: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?  (Read 158098 times)

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?
« Reply #540 on: December 24, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »
If i use a multi meter to test voltage in outlets, is it normal for the voltage reading to drop slightly as I measure further from the breaker? For example the first outlet on the wire reads 119.4V and the next one reads 119.2V but by the time I get to the one farthest away it reads 117.8V. (Yes I know which is first and which is last in series, the wires are running through an unfinished wall)

If its not normal, what might it indicate? Thanks
Should not be an issue unless you see a big drop when there is a load.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 25, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
Thanks. I'll put an appliance on the last outlet and test

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 28, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »
If i use a multi meter to test voltage in outlets, is it normal for the voltage reading to drop slightly as I measure further from the breaker? For example the first outlet on the wire reads 119.4V and the next one reads 119.2V but by the time I get to the one farthest away it reads 117.8V. (Yes I know which is first and which is last in series, the wires are running through an unfinished wall)

If its not normal, what might it indicate? Thanks
I don't think such a significant drop is normal. What gauge is the wire? What are the distances?

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 29, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
I don't think such a significant drop is normal. What gauge is the wire? What are the distances?

14/2

The first outlet is 15-20 feet from the breaker box. Then it continues behind walls (finished on one side) around the room into outlets ~8 feet apart. There's a couple of light fixtures on the path too.

What could such a drop mean? Is it possible that it is wired incorrectly? I'm wondering if perhaps a mistake in how it's wired could be causing a current to be constantly running as if there's a load (and running up my meter for nothing)

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 29, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Reposting this here :)

Thanks- but a voltage tester doesn't measure current being used. Something like KillaWatt would or if I put my multimeter in the wire line set on Amps

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 29, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
Thanks- but a voltage tester doesn't measure current being used. Something like KillaWatt would or if I put my multimeter in the wire line set on Amps
Got it. I wasn't specifically paging you, just figured someone in this thread might find it useful :)

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 29, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
14/2

The first outlet is 15-20 feet from the breaker box. Then it continues behind walls (finished on one side) around the room into outlets ~8 feet apart. There's a couple of light fixtures on the path too.

What could such a drop mean? Is it possible that it is wired incorrectly? I'm wondering if perhaps a mistake in how it's wired could be causing a current to be constantly running as if there's a load (and running up my meter for nothing)
Maybe a weak connection. For example, only a single strand of a stranded wire making a connection.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 29, 2020, 06:10:40 PM »
Maybe a weak connection. For example, only a single strand of a stranded wire making a connection.

Its solid wire (Romex) not stranded. Could your theory still apply?

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 29, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
Yes, if there's a failing connection point like a loose nut.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 29, 2020, 07:59:41 PM »
Reposting this here :)

I just bought this for double the price last week

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 29, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
Can you plug a microwave in the farthest outlet. That would be a nice load to test the circuit.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:43 PM »
Can you plug a microwave in the farthest outlet. That would be a nice load to test the circuit.

That's exactly what I was planning to do! Will report back. Still waiting for someone to tell me to use a clamp current meter (which i dont have)  ;D

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 29, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
That's exactly what I was planning to do! Will report back. Still waiting for someone to tell me to use a clamp current meter (which i dont have)  ;D
Use a clamp (current) meter :P

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=25933.0
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 29, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
In the past for sukkos, I've used shop lights with a total of 8 LED tubes, which was probably more light than needed, but now crazy bright. I would run tape/ropes along the full length (~16ft) of as few as 3 beams (or as many as the full 9 beams - depending on the lumens/ft or whatever - to get sufficient light for the space. The whole idea wouldn't be worthwhile unless I can find a way to do it for $200 or less (excluding install, which hopefully I can do myself).
where'd you end up with this? I just put up a new pergola, and grooved a 4' x 1/2" recess into the underside of the joists to put in LED strips 'invisibly". I'd like to set them up in a way that they can be controlled through my smartthings, but that can be as simple as putting them on a smart switch. Don't see any need for RGB in the sukkah. I have a joist every 24", but I plan on throwing in a couple of ceiling fans, so that will eliminate the ability to use 4 of them, to avoid flickering.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:06:08 AM by thaber »

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 30, 2020, 12:50:23 AM »
where'd you end up with this? I just put up a new pergola, and grooved a 4' x 1/2" recess into the underside of the joists to put in LED strips 'invisibly". I'd like to set them up in a way that they can be controlled through my smartthings, but that can be as simple as putting them on a smart switch. Don't see any need for RGB in the sukkah. I have a joist every 24", but I plan on throwing in a couple of ceiling fans, so that will eliminate the ability to use 4 of them, to avoid flickering.

I posted about it on the sukkah thread (see below).

If you want to do a bunch of 4' runs, you're probably going to have to link them, instead of having each section run back to the power supply. The company I bought from had very good customer service, you can probably call and ask for advice on how to piece together what you're looking for.

ETA: And as far as wifi, I had an outdoor light wired into a switch just inside the house. So I just replaced that outdoor light with the new LEDs and swapped the switch for a Kasa wifi switch.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights/5m-white-led-strip-light-highlight-series-tape-light-1224v-ip67-waterproof/5602/12525/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/power-supplies/led-switching-power-supply-diodedrive-series-60w-150w-enclosed-power-supply-12v/5676/12363/

Bought two 16.4' reels and cut/spliced it into three almost 11' lengths, which each run directly back to the power supply mounted on the central beam right by the house. I also bought a bunch of small accessories to keep it waterproof at all the spots I cut and spliced, and some extra wire to bridge from the ends of the runs back to the power supply. They come with has adhesive backing (peel and stick), but I wasn't sure how well that would work, so I also bought screw-in mounting clips (they were out of stock so I got similar size on Amazon).

This company has very good customer service. If you want a different setup and need help figuring out which of their products will work together for what you're trying to accomplish call or chat them - they're very helpful.

All in, it was right around $200. You can find for less, but I wanted to be confident in it lasting outdoors and for it to be very bright - this totals 8-8.5k lumens for a space around 16'x16'.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:57:20 AM by skyguy918 »

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 30, 2020, 01:08:43 AM »
I posted about it on the sukkah thread (see below).

If you want to do a bunch of 4' runs, you're probably going to have to link them, instead of having each section run back to the power supply. The company I bought from had very good customer service, you can probably call and ask for advice on how to piece together what you're looking for.

ETA: And as far as wifi, I had an outdoor light wired into a switch just inside the house. So I just replaced that outdoor light with the new LEDs and swapped the switch for a Kasa wifi switch.

thank you

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Bunch of lights are out but no breakers tripped. I tested all breakers with a multimeter and they all seem good. Any ideas?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
Bunch of lights are out but no breakers tripped. I tested all breakers with a multimeter and they all seem good. Any ideas?
Are they all under one switch? What type of lights?
Perhaps test the switch.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:50 AM »
Are they all under one switch? What type of lights?
Perhaps test the switch.

One of them has a switch, the others don't. They just have chains on the fixture. Weird thing - this morning I noticed the ones without the switch were on, so I went to turn on the switch for the other, and then they all went off. May have been a coincidence. Is it possible that a faulty switch is affecting lights that aren't controlled by the switch?