Author Topic: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?  (Read 158042 times)

Offline Meno

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?
« Reply #560 on: April 07, 2021, 07:53:11 AM »
One of them has a switch, the others don't. They just have chains on the fixture. Weird thing - this morning I noticed the ones without the switch were on, so I went to turn on the switch for the other, and then they all went off. May have been a coincidence. Is it possible that a faulty switch is affecting lights that aren't controlled by the switch?

Ok next discovery. I pulled out the switch, touched the two wires together, nothing. But when I touch either wire to the box, everything works. Voltage tester confirms there is voltage between either wire and the box.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 07, 2021, 01:08:33 PM »
Anyone ever heard of a thermostat/switch that could replace a wall switch? Basically, I have a bathroom with a combo light/fan/heater, with each function on its own switch. I basically never used the heater over the first winter because no one is waiting for the room to warm up before sitting on the toilet. I'd love to have a switch with a thermostat function, so I could set it to a specific temp and leave it 'on' all the time. Even better if it has timer/scheduling built in, but I don't have high hopes for that.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 07, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
Anyone ever heard of a thermostat/switch that could replace a wall switch? Basically, I have a bathroom with a combo light/fan/heater, with each function on its own switch. I basically never used the heater over the first winter because no one is waiting for the room to warm up before sitting on the toilet. I'd love to have a switch with a thermostat function, so I could set it to a specific temp and leave it 'on' all the time. Even better if it has timer/scheduling built in, but I don't have high hopes for that.
All thermostats are technically "switches" what type of heater?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »
This one is basic with just a knob:
Honeywell Home CT410B Manual 4 Wire Premium Baseboard/Line Volt Thermostat CT410B1017 - Programmable Household Thermostats - Amazon.com ($14.40)

These are programable but more than double the price:
ELV4 Lux Products Line Voltage Programmable - Heat Only - Single or Double Pole Thermostat - - Amazon.com ($45.57)

Honeywell TL8230A1003 Line Volt Thermostat 240/208 VAC 7 Day Programmble - Programmable Household Thermostats - Amazon.com ($35.84)

Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »
All thermostats are technically "switches" what type of heater?
Right, I guess as long as the thermostat goes low enough, it can just be set to the lowest temp to turn 'off'. But not every thermostat fits in a regular light switch box, no?

It's something like this:
https://broan-nutone.com/en-us/product/ventilationfans/765h80l

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 07, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »

Thanks, but I guess I'm not explaining properly. There's a regular switch in the wall already that controls the fan (on/off). I want something that can replace that - I don't want to add an extra controller on the wall.

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 07, 2021, 03:11:15 PM »

For the timer/scheduling I'd just get a Wi-Fi light switch I'm not aware of any thermostats that fit into a light switch space

Online yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #567 on: April 07, 2021, 03:14:41 PM »
Thanks, but I guess I'm not explaining properly. There's a regular switch in the wall already that controls the fan (on/off). I want something that can replace that - I don't want to add an extra controller on the wall.
I'm sorry I just looked at the shape not the dimensions.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 07, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
Right, I guess as long as the thermostat goes low enough, it can just be set to the lowest temp to turn 'off'. But not every thermostat fits in a regular light switch box, no?

It's something like this:
https://broan-nutone.com/en-us/product/ventilationfans/765h80l
Does the switch control the entire thing or is the heat fan and light split between different switches?
I'm not sure if your interested but there are easy ways to set such a thing up with some DIY stuff.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 07, 2021, 03:30:03 PM »

I can't tell if this is the size of a light switch but it looks about right-
9" x 7" [prob too big] https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Premium-Baseboard-Thermostat-YCT410B1000/dp/B000TKFQF0/
3" x 5" [closer] https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TL7235A1003-Non-Programmable-Thermostat-Temperature/dp/B000GGPMZ6/ref=psdc_2054379011_t3_B000TKFQF0

Typical thermostats use low voltage and operate as a relay switch - the thermostat you'll need has to be 110v/220v (usually found for baseboards). But the issue is that they don't have a "fan only" setting, so either the heat+fan will be on or both will be off. I've set up a digital thermostat to replace a broken dial on an old A/C, which worked like a charm, but definitely doesn't fit in the space that an ordinary switch.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:33:45 PM by yos9694 »

Online yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 07, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »

Offline shopcomputer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • nysolutions.com
« Reply #571 on: April 07, 2021, 03:33:08 PM »
If you have no room for a thermostat on the wall, you can replace the switch with a smart switch, can be zigbee or zwave , etc. you will need a controller. You can then put a temperature sensor anywhere in your home and set the smart switch to turn on/off based on the temperature read of the temperature sensor.

Online yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 07, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
I can't tell if this is the size of a light switch but it looks about right-
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Premium-Baseboard-Thermostat-YCT410B1000/dp/B000TKFQF0/

Typical thermostats use low voltage and operate as a relay switch - the thermostat you'll need has to be 110v/220v (usually found for baseboards). But the issue is that they don't have a "fan only" setting, so either the heat+fan will be on or both will be off. I've set up a digital thermostat to replace a broken dial on an old A/C, which worked like a charm, but definitely doesn't fit in the space that an ordinary switch.
Item Dimensions LxWxH   9 x 7 x 4 inches.
I posted it above.
a typical wall plate is 3x5

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 07, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »
Item Dimensions LxWxH   9 x 7 x 4 inches.
I posted it above.
a typical wall plate is 3x5

Thanks, I noticed that and found a couple of others in the "similar items" list... added it to my post, and someone else beat me to finding it

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 07, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »
For the timer/scheduling I'd just get a Wi-Fi light switch I'm not aware of any thermostats that fit into a light switch space
Right, that's the part I'm struggling with. Maybe it doesn't exist, but that seems strange to me. I'd think there are some retrofit situations where it's cleaner to use the existing space on the wall, but I haven't found a product for that yet.
I'm sorry I just looked at the shape not the dimensions.
Np, thanks anyway.
Does the switch control the entire thing or is the heat fan and light split between different switches?
I'm not sure if your interested but there are easy ways to set such a thing up with some DIY stuff.
It's 3 separate switches, currently a full size switch for the light with the second slot sharing switches for the fan and heater. If I found a solution I'd swap the light and the heater so I could dedicate a full slot to the thermostat.

Online yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 07, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Honeywell TL7235A1003 Line Volt Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat with Electronic Temperature Control, 240-Volt - Programmable Household Thermostats - Amazon.com ($29.46)

This one seems to be the right dimensions HxW for a wall plate, although it will probably stick out a bit.
Did you check out this one:        Item Dimensions LxWxH   0.75 x 2.75 x 4.75 inches

Offline shopcomputer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • nysolutions.com
« Reply #576 on: April 07, 2021, 04:05:07 PM »
Right, that's the part I'm struggling with. Maybe it doesn't exist, but that seems strange to me. I'd think there are some retrofit situations where it's cleaner to use the existing space on the wall, but I haven't found a product for that yet.Np, thanks anyway.It's 3 separate switches, currently a full size switch for the light with the second slot sharing switches for the fan and heater. If I found a solution I'd swap the light and the heater so I could dedicate a full slot to the thermostat.

You can get a 3 gang zigbee switch
https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Switches-Compatible-Lighting-Required/dp/B088867FP6/ref=sr_1_4
a zigbee temperature sensor
https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Humidity-Checking-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B08BCJNDYQ/ref=sr_1_6
You will need a zigbee controller to integrate and control such as
https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Gateway-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08TWDNQ5Q/ref=sr_1_2

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 07, 2021, 06:08:44 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think any of these solutions really get me where I'm trying to go, and the few that might are cost prohibitive for this application. It's not the end of the world, just would've been nice to have if I'd have found a good solution.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:47 PM »
Here's (arguably) the cheapest smartest and most reliable / customizable way:

Take 3 gang sonooff switch, together with a DHT22 temperature sensor, modify the firmware to esphome and attach the dht sensor to the sonoff. Then you configure the fan go on automatically based on humidity and the heater go on based on temperature and for whatever schedule you'd like.

Same place to start if anyone is interested
https://youtu.be/mfaC1HZfdUY
https://youtu.be/LUDjAdAB5Ak
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 08, 2021, 08:25:09 PM »
Are there any off the shelf products that can sense when a garage door lock is locked or open. With a light turning on when it's unlocked. It's a standard sliding lock like this

My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.