Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on a business card based off of my spending habits  (Read 3680 times)

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I am looking into getting an additional business credit card and I am trying to decide which one to get. Here are some details:
I currently have these cards:
1 - Amex Platinum - Dont really do that much spending on it currently
2 - Amex SPG - That is where I do the bulk of my spending - can be close to $50K per month
3 - JP Morgan Palladium - Used more as a backup card
4 - Ink Bold Business - I use this for the ones where I get bonus and when I get bonus through URMall

Recently I have been having statements close on my Amex SPG with a high balance, so I want to get an additional business card so it wont hurt me.
I purchase a lot of tech items through dell, office stores (which I use Ink bold), ebay, etc.... I also purchase a lot of items from high end clothing design companies and retailers.
I travel a nice amount, but I mainly would use the spg points for hotels, etc.... So far I have not really redeemed that many points. Between UR and SPG I have close to 1.5m points. But recently I have started redeeming them more often.

Any suggestions as to which card I should go for as to which will give me the most bang for the buck? If the card doesnt have a great promotion right now, I have no problem waiting, I wouldnt grab a card just because it just so happens to have a good signup bonus right now even though long term it isnt the best card for me.

Thanks

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
How much spending do you plan on doing on the card?

Also, why would you have the Chase Palladium just as a back-up - isn't there a massive annual spend requirement?

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
If I keep it exclusivly for business I would spend anywhere from 20 - 35K per month. If I put personal on there sometimes it can hit 50K. I would probably try to keep it business only as that would make my accountant so much happier.

I was never told of a annual spend requirement for the Palladium. My JP morgan banker reached out to me about a year ago and offered it to me. I'll double check, but I dont think there is.

According to wikipedia there is no spending minimum:
The JPM Palladium Card doesn’t have a specific annual spending threshold you need to meet like the AmEx Centurion has, but rather it has an even tougher requirement; a private banker in order to qualify. It’s only offered to private banking clients of the JP Morgan Private Bank, Investment Bank, Treasury Services or Commercial Bank.[2] The minimum qualification for this threshold is 2 million dollars liquid assets with JP Morgan Private Client.[citation needed]

Cardholders are required to pay an annual fee for each authorized user.[1] They are not charged for foreign exchange, late payments, cash advances, or overdrafts.[1] According to Bloomberg, one is eligible if "you happen to have an extra $25 million that you are willing to let JP Morgan manage for you.”[1] There are currently 5,000 Palladium Cards active, fewer than the American Express Centurion Card.[1]

The card has no preset spending limit.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
You have 1 - Amex platinum.  Has great travel benefits, like lounges, but if you don't travel, why pay $450/ yr for it?

I think you're a bit heavy on the spg. Good for hotels, not so good for airlines.
Chase points (UR) are flexible for airlines, as are Amex MR.

Right now, ending today, Chase Ink has a 60K signup bonus instead of the usual 50K.  The Chase business United Explorer is a good one to apply to as a 2nd in a 2BM. (Chase often pulls separately for biz and personal apps even on same day)

As a whole, someone putting near 50K each month on cc, could really rake it in big by opening new cards regularly.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline joelr773

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Depends on what airlines u fly for example u fly united then spg is nor the option but if u fly AA or for example AC then spg is better off because transfer  bonus for 20 k u get 25 k

Offline ah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Depends on what airlines u fly for example u fly united then spg is nor the option but if u fly AA or for example AC then spg is better off because transfer  bonus for 20 k u get 25 k
+100
Starwood is great for travel with avios, the best milage currency for short haul domestic IMHO

Offline joelr773

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Then u have chase ink today is the last day for sign up bonus and it's a good card as well but it's not Starwood I look Starwood as number 1

Offline Novo

• View Profile
  • Programs: Chase A/A, Amex F/R, Citi A/A. Hertz DNR.
I am looking into getting an additional business credit card and I am trying to decide which one to get. Here are some details:
2 - Amex SPG - That is where I do the bulk of my spending - can be close to $50K per month
4 - Ink Bold Business - I use this for the ones where I get bonus and when I get bonus through URMall

Recently I have been having statements close on my Amex SPG with a high balance, so I want to get an additional business card so it wont hurt me.
I purchase a lot of tech items through dell, office stores (which I use Ink bold), ebay, etc.... I also purchase a lot of items from high end clothing design companies and retailers.
I travel a nice amount, but I mainly would use the spg points for hotels, etc.... So far I have not really redeemed that many points. Between UR and SPG I have close to 1.5m points. But recently I have started redeeming them more often.

Any suggestions as to which card I should go for as to which will give me the most bang for the buck? If the card doesnt have a great promotion right now, I have no problem waiting, I wouldnt grab a card just because it just so happens to have a good signup bonus right now even though long term it isnt the best card for me.

Thanks
it sounds from your question that you are not in the churning business. So why do you need a new card? Why not just start to use your Amex Platinum which you anyway pay the 450 AF and MR points are pretty good
I try my best :-\
Quote from: Centro
If you wanna go fast, go alone
If you wanna go far, go together

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Brg for tech items

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Thanks

Can you provide more detail as to where exactly you do the spending?

Do you buy the high-end clothing directly from the manufacturer or from retail websites? Although it's questionable if I may post this here, you should always check the UR mall to see if there are bonus points being offered for that retailer.

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I fly a variety
+100
Starwood is great for travel with avios, the best milage currency for short haul domestic IMHO
Thats why I currently use my SPG maninly. THe question is should I go for a business one as well
Then u have chase ink today is the last day for sign up bonus and it's a good card as well but it's not Starwood I look Starwood as number 1
I have the ink bold already
it sounds from your question that you are not in the churning business. So why do you need a new card? Why not just start to use your Amex Platinum which you anyway pay the 450 AF and MR points are pretty good
No, as of now I do not want to churn. I dont want to use the Plat, because the entire reason why I am moving more to a business card is because I close with high balances. If I remember correctly MR points are getting hard and harder to use
Brg for tech items
Which is BRG?
Can you provide more detail as to where exactly you do the spending?

Do you buy the high-end clothing directly from the manufacturer or from retail websites? Although it's questionable if I may post this here, you should always check the UR mall to see if there are bonus points being offered for that retailer.

For business, I purchase a lot from dell, office stores, ebay, CDW, and other distributes. For clothing I purchase either from manufacturers or retail websites. When  I do shop at a  retail website I look at the UR mall and other cashback sites and decide which one is the best to use.

THanks