Author Topic: Lakewood school bussing next year  (Read 30396 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
Re: Lakewood school bussing next year
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2016, 01:49:56 AM »
Just want to know if the courtesy public school kids will also be forced to pay the $150?
It seems to me that all the courtesy Lakewood public school kids will get their busses paid for in full by the township budget (as per the agreement with the state), while the nonpublic courtesy students will have pay $150 per each child. To me that is not fair, especially to home owners that are already paying very high taxes. Why should their tax money that goes to the township, go to pay for "nonmandatory" courtesy bussing for public school students, but not for courtesy bussing for their own kids?

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2016, 06:52:42 AM »
Just want to know if the courtesy public school kids will also be forced to pay the $150?
It seems to me that all the courtesy Lakewood public school kids will get their busses paid for in full by the township budget (as per the agreement with the state), while the nonpublic courtesy students will have pay $150 per each child. To me that is not fair, especially to home owners that are already paying very high taxes. Why should their tax money that goes to the township, go to pay for "nonmandatory" courtesy bussing for public school students, but not for courtesy bussing for their own kids?
People shoudl cook up a storm about this and make it a deal breaker for the next election. Township commitee should cough up the $.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Are public schools getting courtesy bussing at all?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »
Yes. As part of the deal Lakewood Township agree to pay for public school courtesy bussing

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
Yes. As part of the deal Lakewood Township agree to pay for public school courtesy bussing

Do you have a source?

I don't see anything about that in the bill
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/AL16/22_.PDF

Offline hocker

• View Profile

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
I don't understand why there isn't a bigger outcry to the fact that public school kids are not being asked to pay $150 for courtesy bussing while private students are being asked to.  If its not mandatory for either of the kids, then where is the basis that ONLY private school kids need to pay for courtesy bussing but not public school kids.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
I don't understand why there isn't a bigger outcry to the fact that public school kids are not being asked to pay $150 for courtesy bussing while private students are being asked to.  If its not mandatory for either of the kids, then where is the basis that ONLY private school kids need to pay for courtesy bussing but not public school kids.
The whole consortium is only to service private schools.

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
The silver lining here is that Schools are finally agreeing to allow kids from different schools on the same bus. Hopefully this will make the whole system more economical.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2016, 06:10:35 PM »
The silver lining here is that Schools are finally agreeing to allow kids from different schools on the same bus. Hopefully this will make the whole system more economical.
+1
good to hear. (Difficult for school/student accountability.)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
The whole consortium is only to service private schools.
I get that. But its all based on the fact that the township is paying $2 million for the public school kids. Surely they can also come up with another $1 million to cover the shortfall for the consortium.
I would go out on a limb to say, that there are more homeowners (paying taxes) who have kids in private schools, than those in public schools. So before their tax dollars from the township go to pay $2 million for public school kids, they should go to pay the only $1 million shortfall for private school kids.